Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why not? Vice Grips.

us Offline FinneganMckinney4000

Why not? Vice Grips.
on: March 27, 2024, 10:23:13 PM
Where is all of the extreme versatility in the Crunch?  :ahhh
Lately I’ve been using my Vice Grip alot, light, easy, one-hand-accessible,+ my Super Surge.

What do you think? :hatsoff:

* IMG_9304.jpg (Filesize: 243.26 KB)

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Why not? Vice Grips.
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 11:46:27 PM
Nice, versatile combination, 👍

The CRUNCH has its faithful!

I have only encountered ONE in the wild. At a fast food establishment, a gentleman was sitting at the table next to me , facing me and his wife to my right.  I noticed his Leatherman sheath on his belt when he got his wife a coffee refill.  It was smaller than my ST300 sheath on my right side yet larger than my REBAR sheath in the truck.

After he returned I HAD to ask about his tool.  HE SMILED, a wide smile, his wife gave me a side eye!   He said it was a CRUNCH and removed it from the sheath. Oh, I never saw one other than online, I replied. He attempted to put it together, fumbling a bit.  His wife said, it is the first time he has taken it out of the pocket, though he wears it every day.   

He got it together, proudly said it was a birthday gift from his daughter when I retired.   And, no not had a need to use since! Wife added, it’s been 3 years!!!

Explained, I was curious as I carry this, revealing my ST300.    We when chewed the fat for a bit, he had been a maintenance director for a school system in Southern Indiana for 40 years.  His wife a teacher and him were in route to Indy for a teacher conference.

He broke his tool down put it in its box sheath, we shook hands, said our well wishes.

I always wondered how much use that tool ever saw???

This occurred maybe 7 years ago, I was 63, he maybe 65.

FWIW, I carried a few Vice Grips in my tool box when doing field repair work, some now on my work bench, a couple in my pickup tool box😉

Never, felt the need for a CRUNCH!  But, I do have a ST300, a few REBARS, a couple WAVEs, a SURGE, Rev, Wingman, SideKick, PULSE, ST200, and fe PST, PSTII, original SuperTool, OHT,  A BOND, and some others, BUT NOT a CRUNCH😵‍💫🥺
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 11:54:00 PM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline FinneganMckinney4000

Reply #2 on: Today at 06:24:35 AM
It is a beautiful story, the crunch is engineered very, very well. But the versatility is limited in a way most other leathermen are not, but I see the appeal. However, A normal Vice-Grip can do plenty (one costs $ 300$ on eBay, while the other $ 15$ on Amazon).

True, the Crunch has its faithful.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #3 on: Today at 10:54:50 AM
Sometimes it’s handy to have something other than the standard needle nose pliers.

For the last few years I’ve volunteered with a circus project across the UK and Europe. A lot of the equipment is old, cobbled together from scrap, and held together with a dozen different sizes and types of fixtures and fittings.
Ten clowns building a stage with one spanner between them is a nightmare, so being able to pull out a Crunch to grab a rounded nut, clamp a hacksaw blade, or file a splintered stage edge is a real blessing. 

You can bet everyone else will have an Opinel and petrol station PST clone, and the tool box will be upside down under a pile of unicycles in the van a mile away!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: Today at 12:39:52 PM
 :rofl:

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: Today at 01:59:30 PM
What do you think? :hatsoff:

When I put all of the variables into the Powernoodle Statistical Analyzer and Food Processor, including availability, cost, utility and so on, a pair of Vice Grips comes out way ahead of the Crunch.  Even so, I think I own 4x Crunches (and 2x Mr. Crunches) for the collectability and cool, retro vibe of the Crunch. 

us Online Craig_S

Reply #6 on: Today at 04:17:07 PM
If someone thinks they can EDC a Surge AND a pair of vice grips, good for them. It will work out better than a Crunch any day.

But, I EDC a Crunch, 10 double sided Wiha bits, 4" Knipex Cobras and pliers wrench, bit extender, 711 ratchet, Volty Switch, and a flashlight all in a large LM sheath on my belt. Depending on the day of the week, it's usually complimented with a PST, or a mini, or Wave, or Surge in a cargo pocket just to add variety to my life and be able to post here. However the second multi tool is almost never necessary and the size of most other Leathermans would not allow me to carry all the other stuff in the sheath with them.

My Crunch is used regularly for holding things when I use the grinder, removing rusty screws, and for normal things like cutting tape on boxes.

Craig
PST edc 1998-Present
PST, Crunch, Surge, Wave, Rebar, Original ST, Style PS, ST300, Free T2, Curl, Mini Tool, Kick

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%