Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Big Swiss, Ranger 58

jzmtl · 10 · 1522

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
The Big Swiss, Ranger 58
on: December 04, 2008, 11:28:32 PM
 :D

Some first impressions.

• It's huge!
  • Quality wise, it's good, but not perfect. I don't have an OHT so can't compare.
  • Maybe I'm just spoiled by my tac folders but the blade grind is not quite up to my standard. And the main blade definately should be thicker on knife this size.
  • One handed open/close feels kinda weird, maybe it's because it has both backspring and lock.
  • OH blade does make using rest of tool a bit uncomfortable, but I guess that's unavoidable.
  • The gutting blade is sharpenable on tip to make it into a full hawkbill blade, not sure why they didn't do it.
  • Saw is longer than knife blade, backspring holds stronger than rest of tool.
  • No toothpick and tweezer, those thick scales can easily accomodate them, could've come in handy picking wood splinters on this ourdoor oriented knife. Or the scale could've been made thinner and still have the same ergonomics.
  • When looking at the specs I thought it would be the perfect knife if pliers were included, but now I'm not so sure. The cross section is already a square, plier would've made it too wide to use comfortably.
  • The awl is really a punch.
  • I'm probably talking out of my butt here but this strike me as a good fistload. It's long enough to protruding out of both end of my hand, and with phillips driver extended it can throw a nasty punch. But then again, there IS a 4" blade on it, that's quicker to deploy even.
  • Did I mention it's huge?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 11:32:46 PM by jzmtl »

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The Big Swiss, Ranger 58
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 01:22:21 AM
They are good aren't they?  I've got a 78 (like yours but no gutting blade) and I'm now glad I didn't go for anything bigger.  The ergonomic scales seem bigger than they need be but do give a comfy grip.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 01:44:00 AM
I would go with 78 if it's avaliable here. If I want a OH blade and a saw unfortunately this is the only option.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 01:45:41 AM
To be honest I don't suppose the gutting blade adds too much extra, but I do think the pliers would be too much for me.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 02:05:04 AM
It only adds about 3.5mm, but since I don't hunt it's not really that useful.

I did sharpen the tip and made it into a hawkbill blade in effort to improve its usefulness.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 03:07:58 AM
Does the gutting blade have a nail nick to pull it out? or was that unsharpened area needed to get the blade out? Looks good, hope it grows on you.  :cheers:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 03:21:36 AM
It has a nail nick on the other side. The tip is recessed deep in handle so sharpened will not change anything. It's pure speculation but maybe they left it like that so when gutting stuff it won't slice up any internal compartment you want to leave intact?  ???

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 03:24:16 AM
Ah I see, yeah that actually makes sense, this way you can put some pressure with the tip and not cut the intestines and get the gunk all over the good meat or fur.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 08:01:16 AM
Great initial impressions mate :tu:

Now when's the full review :pok: :pok: :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 02:55:41 AM
I owned one for about a week and Def loaned me his OH Fireman to do a comparsion. 

What I would have like to seen done differently was both the blade and the gutting blade was the same style (PE on the Wenger and serrated on the Vic) I found that redundant.

I was thinking they should have serrated the gut blade and made the main blade an PE. 

After playing with them I wasn't impressed and I sent both of them to Def.

(By the way Def don't you owe me something?) >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD