Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rare? Victorinox Nomad in olive Green.

gr Offline Antonis Zita

Rare? Victorinox Nomad in olive Green.
on: November 15, 2018, 09:38:02 PM
Hallo friends,

Before some years i bought this sak on sale. I searched in the web for informations but i didn't t found much.

Does anybody else have a Nomad in olive green? Is it rare?

The model code is 0.8353.4 and the box is brown. 

CAM01263-1.jpg
* CAM01263-1.jpg (Filesize: 270.86 KB)

gr Offline Antonis Zita

Re: Rare? Victorinox Nomad in olive Green.
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:48:23 PM
Second pic
CAM01278.jpg
* CAM01278.jpg (Filesize: 248.97 KB)

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 12:46:29 AM
Hi Antonis,

I don't know anything about the green-scaled Nomad, but I just thought I'd share that I have a black Nomad.  I bought it in a knife, pen, and pipe shop in Dublin Ireland in 2010.  I've never seen a green one, so congratulations on a what seems like a rarer SAK.

Myron

gr Offline Antonis Zita

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 01:08:27 AM
Hi Antonis,

I don't know anything about the green-scaled Nomad, but I just thought I'd share that I have a black Nomad.  I bought it in a knife, pen, and pipe shop in Dublin Ireland in 2010.  I've never seen a green one, so congratulations on a what seems like a rarer SAK.

Myron

Thank you Myron. But rare or not, I like this knife a lot. It is slim, light, robust and very comfortable. The linerlock makes the blade very secure and the big cap lifter is SO usefull.
  Actually, the one on the foto is my sak in the work. I use it every day. I keep a second one, unused, new in the box. Love this color.
 :climber:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 01:56:28 AM
Nice and that you have a back up says a lot. I have backups in case of loss or retirement.

gr Offline Antonis Zita

Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 02:19:36 AM
Nice and that you have a back up says a lot. I have backups in case of loss or retirement.

I try to do it only if i like a Sak or an MT very much. I am addicted, but i keep some control. At least, until now...   

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 02:30:15 AM

I try to do it only if i like a Sak or an MT very much. I am addicted, but i keep some control. At least, until now...   
My same thinking also..only on models I like. Being retired, I do have to keep control.  :tu:

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 07:32:56 PM
No clue if it's rare or not (mine is black too) but i do agree they are a great knife to carry  :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 11:36:12 PM
Antonis,

Does your olive drab Nomad have the DE-GM 9305297 patent number on the shank of the blade?

Myron

gr Offline Antonis Zita

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 12:06:40 AM
Antonis,

Does your olive drab Nomad have the DE-GM 9305297 patent number on the shank of the blade?

Myron

Hi Myron. Yes it does. I think all the linerlock, 111mm Vic models have this patend No.
  I searched for this product code: 0.8353.4 but there is nothing in the interner. The last digit (4) is for the color/type of the handle. Nowhere a reference. The only thing i found is a video on you tube, of a german guy, who also wonders about this model.   

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 02:54:41 AM
I like this knife a lot. It is slim, light, robust and very comfortable. The linerlock makes the blade very secure and the big cap lifter is SO usefull.
  Actually, the one on the foto is my sak in the work. I use it every day. I keep a second one, unused, new in the box. Love this color.
 :climber:

I have a Centurion. A Nomad with a Phillips instead of corkscrew. It's my primary work knife, used daily, and I love it for the same reasons you love your Nomad.

The Nomad and Centurion are basically a heavy duty Spartan and Tinker. Great alternatives for outdoor use.

I believe there's a one hand opening variation of the Nomad. Serrated blade only, though. ???
Rambler

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 10:28:32 AM
Hi Antonis.  :cheers:
Since I don’t know anything about that kind of SAK, I’ll just wish you a welcome to MTO. :cheers:

Hi Antonis,

Myron
Hey, I know that shop!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 12:00:21 PM
Here a picture of a 'military' flyer (dated late Nineties).
These knives all have green handles!
DAK 1993.jpg
* DAK 1993.jpg (Filesize: 184.46 KB)

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 12:13:30 PM
Here a picture of a 'military' flyer (dated late Nineties).
These knives all have green handles!

That's awesome. We should add that to the Wiki!
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 02:03:01 PM
Found another green one. This one is for sale.
Screenshot_20181117-135948~01.jpg
* Screenshot_20181117-135948~01.jpg (Filesize: 89.66 KB)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 02:28:11 PM
Hi Myron. Yes it does. I think all the linerlock, 111mm Vic models have this patend No.
  I searched for this product code: 0.8353.4 but there is nothing in the interner. The last digit (4) is for the color/type of the handle. Nowhere a reference. The only thing i found is a video on you tube, of a german guy, who also wonders about this model.   

I asked because my black Nomad that I've had for some time does not have the DM-GE number.  However, I found a green one for sale recently and it does have the DM-GE number on the shank.  It's a new-old-stock specimen and I couldn't resist it with the cool red shield!   

Here's my black Nomad.  When the green one arrives I'll take a family photo for this thread.  :)

Hey, I know that shop!

Don Pablo,

If memory serves it's right around the corner from Trinity College, outside of the southern-most end of the campus I think?  I almost bought a Peterson pipe while I was in there but resisted.  I will always have the black Nomad and it will always remind me of Dublin, one of the truly great cities. 

Myron

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 03:09:59 PM

Hey, I know that shop!

Don Pablo,

If memory serves it's right around the corner from Trinity College, outside of the southern-most end of the campus I think?  I almost bought a Peterson pipe while I was in there but resisted.  I will always have the black Nomad and it will always remind me of Dublin, one of the truly great cities. 

Myron
Yup, it is. I went there a few times to stare at the SAKs. :D There is also an amazing pen shop not far away.

Great?  :think:
Well, I suppose that it’s in the eye of the beholder. :) Glad you had a good time. :cheers:

All hail the hook!

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #17 on: November 17, 2018, 03:13:31 PM
Antonis,

Myron

Καλώς όρισες στο ΜΤΟ Αντώνη. Είναι φοβερό μέρος. Μόνο να, πρόσεχε το πορτοφόλι σου :D

DE-GM 9305297 is a German Patent Registration number. https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,62222.msg1157231.html#msg1157231

There are a few more threads on this, just search the forum with this number for further reading.

Not all 111mm linerlocks have this stamp. It is found on the older, narrower profile blades.  :salute:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline Antonis Zita

Reply #18 on: November 17, 2018, 04:55:13 PM
Hi Antonis.  :cheers:
Since I don’t know anything about that kind of SAK, I’ll just wish you a welcome to MTO. :cheers:

Hi Antonis,

Myron
Hey, I know that shop!

Thank you, don Pablo.  :salute:

gr Offline Antonis Zita

Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 05:09:56 PM

I asked because my black Nomad that I've had for some time does not have the DM-GE number.  However, I found a green one for sale recently and it does have the DM-GE number on the shank.  It's a new-old-stock specimen and I couldn't resist it with the cool red shield!   

Here's my black Nomad.  When the green one arrives I'll take a family photo for this thread.  :)

(Image removed from quote.)

Hey, I know that shop!

Don Pablo,

Myron

Hi Myron, today i did a small search again and it seems that this Nomad is new for sale in russian sites. Some of these online shops describe it as "picnicker"... They sell it also in a nice blue color.
  Waiting for some photos of your new beauty.  :climber:

gr Offline Antonis Zita

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2018, 05:29:28 PM
Antonis,

Myron

Καλώς όρισες στο ΜΤΟ Αντώνη. Είναι φοβερό μέρος. Μόνο να, πρόσεχε το πορτοφόλι σου :D

DE-GM 9305297 is a German Patent Registration number. https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,62222.msg1157231.html#msg1157231

There are a few more threads on this, just search the forum with this number for further reading.

Not all 111mm linerlocks have this stamp. It is found on the older, narrower profile blades.  :salute:

Καλώς σας βρήκα Firiki. Μου αρέσει ήδη πολύ το φόρουμ. Όσο για το πορτοφόλι, άστο καλύτερα...
  Μένω Θεσσαλονίκη. Χάρηκα για τη γνωριμία.

Firiki, thank you for the information.  :tu:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 17, 2018, 05:34:24 PM

Yup, it is. I went there a few times to stare at the SAKs. :D There is also an amazing pen shop not far away.

Well, I suppose that it’s in the eye of the beholder. :) Glad you had a good time. :cheers:

Well, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, and so forth.  We have enjoyed all of the many times we've been in Dublin.  :)

With a little luck I may find myself there again this coming June.  I'll drop you a line and maybe we could meet for pints!   :cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 17, 2018, 05:48:17 PM

Well, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, and so forth.  We have enjoyed all of the many times we've been in Dublin.  :)

With a little luck I may find myself there again this coming June.  I'll drop you a line and maybe we could meet for pints!   :cheers:
Maybe! It would be awesome.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 05:50:58 PM by Don Pablo »

All hail the hook!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: November 17, 2018, 05:57:16 PM
Great info and photos!  :like:

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 17, 2018, 08:57:31 PM
I was sure i had a red Nomad too but it turns out to be a Picnicker, fully serrated and slide locked, just for interest my black Nomad does have the DE-GM stamp  :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #25 on: November 18, 2018, 04:12:46 PM
Ok, here a slightly better snap shot of the Vic military brochure from the Nineties. (I can't get the colors right...)
PB185318.JPG
* PB185318.JPG (Filesize: 212.67 KB)
PB185320.JPG
* PB185320.JPG (Filesize: 163.79 KB)

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #26 on: November 18, 2018, 04:31:43 PM
Here a picture of two slightly different DAK's (which in fact are Centurions - and Centurions are Nomads without a Cork Screw, but with Phillips instead.).
Top is the most common one and had the DE-GM reverse tang stamp.. Bottom is one rarely seen, and has no reverse tang stamp.

The difference is in the width of the blades. The one with the DE-GM tang stamp has a width of around 15,5 mm; the one without the DE-GM has a width of about 16,3 mm.
My guess is that Vx made the blades a little bit stronger when they changed to the 'clear'' tang stamp.

The side-lock models have a blade width an average width of around 14,8 mm.
PB185322.JPG
* PB185322.JPG (Filesize: 117.94 KB)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: November 18, 2018, 06:39:53 PM
Nice and great information, thanks for sharing.  :tu:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 25, 2018, 05:39:08 PM

Hi Antonis,

And here it is!  With its 111 mm brothers:

The difference in blade shape between the black non-DE-GM blade and the green DE-GM blade is really noticeable in person.

And of course no DE-GM number on my black Nomad.  I wonder why not? 

One more just for fun:

gr Offline Antonis Zita

Reply #29 on: November 25, 2018, 08:36:09 PM

Hi Antonis,

And here it is!  With its 111 mm brothers:

The difference in blade shape between the black non-DE-GM blade and the green DE-GM blade is really noticeable in person.

And of course no DE-GM number on my black Nomad.  I wonder why not? 

One more just for fun:

Congrats Myron!    :woohoo:
  And the pics are great! I can see what you say about the different blade shape, because yesterday i bought a Trekker  :D
  No patent number on the blade. Another thing i noticed, is that there is no "press" written on the linerlock on the Nomad and   
 the whole linerlock doesnt sticks out as much as on the Trekker.
  I wish you good times with your new, beautifull Nomad.  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD