Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Once you go SAK, you can never go back!

cbl51 · 27 · 2124

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Once you go SAK, you can never go back!
on: November 16, 2018, 06:55:54 PM
Theres that old saying that you can never go home again. As a genuine certified old fart, I can attest that it's 98% true.

In my knife nut days I swore at various times that my stockman, then sodbuster, then peanut was the end all pocket knife. Of course that was in my middle age knife nut days, when I had drank the Kool-Aid and was into the whole knife "thing." But even then, a SAK was never far away, in the glove box of the car, the side pocket of my pack, or even in another pocket of my pants. The Buck/Case/Camillus stockman in the right pocket and SAK of the day in the left.

I'm not sure just what happened, but gradually I lost my taste for carrying stuff I didn't need. Like multiple pocket knives and then some tools. As I got older, I found pocket space getting hard to come by, with the needs of the grandkids and extra hand sanitizer and paper towels, rubber bands, bandaids, my own stuff like arthritis meds, cell phone, and a RONCO pocket defibrillator in case of a vapor lock. I had run out of pocket space and something had to go.

The dedicated knife went. If I had to cut something, a small SAK did it. If I had a screw on a fishing reel to deal with, a small SAK did that. The grandson got a splinter, the small SAK did that. The granddaughter chipped a nail, the small SAK dealt with that. And so on. I looked at the bulky heavy stockman with it's three cutting blades and realized that it was a one trick pony. A one dimensional item, not capable of screwing, prying, unscrewing, plucking, snipping, bottle opening, or any other job the SAK can handle at will with no fuss. Some spell was broken, and I no longer felt the draw of a "knife'.

Little by little, I did give aways on a knife forum I was on a lot. Little by little my whole non SAK knife collection was gifted off to those who still were drinking the Kool-Aid and buying boutique pocket knives that did nothing but cut. My stockmen, peanuts, and "other" knives got new owners and I was left with nothing but the Swiss wonders. It's been a few years, and I haven't looked back much at all, and I really haven't missed any of those "other" knives.

Recently a nephew came to visit. He drove down from Maryland to Texas and we did some fishing, sight seeing, and a little shooting at the local range. He had in his pocket my old Buck stockman. He grinned and handed it to me while we were fishing on the San Gabriel river and it was a funny thing to have it in my hand again. Some good memories, but I realized whatever drew me to it before was really gone. Next to the small tinker, it was bigger and heavier, and had none of the tinkers capability. I handed it back to Mark and told him I was glad it was getting such good care. It was sharp and well oiled, and he cut some bait with it effortlessly.

But in the brief time it was in my hand, I realized it's time had long since passed with me. After carrying nothing but SAK's for the past few years, I can never go back to a pocket knife that has just one single function. Why bother? It would be like having a sonic screw driver with limited use.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:59:52 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: Once you go SAK, you can never go back!
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 07:14:17 PM
Well said  :cheers:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 07:18:40 PM
Interesting post  :salute:  I'm not at that stage yet though as partnered with my days choice of sak there is always a single blade folder on me, not always the same one and not always a sak  :angel:  sometimes big sometimes small..i really don't mind extra weight, when i swap my LM Sideclip for a Swisstool i need to wear a belt though as i pocket carry and don't like sheaths, i don't like that trouser hanging half way down the arse look
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 07:20:55 PM
Cool story. I'm still drinking the cool aid  :salute:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 08:50:14 PM
After carrying nothing but SAK's for the past few years, I can never go back to a pocket knife that has just one single function. Why bother? It would be like having a sonic screw driver with limited use.

Voice of wisdom, there.  :tu:  :iagree:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 08:57:28 PM
+2  :iagree:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 11:01:41 PM
The dedicated knife went. ........ A one dimensional item, not capable of screwing, prying, unscrewing, plucking, snipping, bottle opening, or any other job the SAK can handle at will with no fuss. Some spell was broken, and I no longer felt the draw of a 'knife'.

Having always been a SAK guy - This has always puzzled me about the folders.

I admire them for their beauty and craftmanship - But why do I need three blades (they all just cut right?)
- And why would I carry one when it can't do all that other stuff? ???   

Similar argument of couse for carrying a pliers based - compared to dedicated folder
- Just carry a pliers based - It's got a knife too !!!  :think:

For me - I usually only carrry a SAK - Because as a desk jockey I don't need the pliers based during the week!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 11:48:55 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 12:36:25 AM
The dedicated knife went. ........ A one dimensional item, not capable of screwing, prying, unscrewing, plucking, snipping, bottle opening, or any other job the SAK can handle at will with no fuss. Some spell was broken, and I no longer felt the draw of a 'knife'.

Having always been a SAK guy - This has always puzzled me about the folders.

I admire them for their beauty and craftmanship - But why do I need three blades (they all just cut right?)
- And why would I carry one when it can't do all that other stuff? ???   

Similar argument of couse for carrying a pliers based - compared to dedicated folder
- Just carry a pliers based - It's got a knife too !!!  :think:

For me - I usually only carrry a SAK - Because as a desk jockey I don't need the pliers based during the week!

I think it's a self perpetuating madness. Forums are like that, don't you know?

I had stockman, and a sodbuster, but someone posts pics of a Barlow and I think, "yeah, a Barlow. I don't have a Barlow." So I go buy a Barlow. And they are nice knives, sturdy cutters. But then you see a trapper and think "Wow, I don't have a trapper" so I go buy a trapper. Then I see a Texas jack and I think "I don't have a Texas Jack." You know where that goes! In the end I have all these traditional pocket knives that just ain't worth a tinkers d--m to make a bad pun. I have a bunch of knives that I can't use for anything but cutting something. No can opening, no bottle opening, no screwing, unscrewing, hole punching, light prying, whatever.

When I got over it, it was like awakening from a period of temporary insanity that made me think 'what the heck was I thinking."

Now I carry a pocketknife that can cut, screw, punch, plus, snip, and even saw.

What the heck was I thinking?

us Offline MY_FARMER22

• New User
Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 11:49:48 AM
For the life of me I cannot understand why people are enamored with folders; they only do one thing! I had a SAK years ago, I think it was a 91 mm red Tinker, but thought they seemed kind of like a toy and gimmicky. Little did I know. Then I got into Leatherman but as soon as I discoverd the Alox 93 mm it was all over! Farmer EVERYDAY!
Never leave the house without a pocket knife and a clean hankerchief.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 01:41:11 PM

Folders can have a certain aesthetic appeal, are quicker to deploy and have locking blades.  But you lads are right - they are mostly unnecessary when carrying a SAK, unless its for the enjoyment factor. 

My solution is to carry both.

us Offline DEMartin

Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 05:52:08 PM
Content deleted - as per request below

@DEMartin - This happends sometimes - No worries - Members cannot delete ther posts
However you can edit them for an hour or so after you create them
- If someone creates a duplicate or wong post they normally just edit out the content with a comment!  :tu:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:43:38 PM by Huntsman »
Water, water, every where,
 And all the boards did shrink;
 Nor any drop to drink.

us Offline DEMartin

Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 05:57:35 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
Folders can have a certain aesthetic appeal, are quicker to deploy and have locking blades.  But you lads are right - they are mostly unnecessary when carrying a SAK, unless its for the enjoyment factor. 

(Image removed from quote.)
My solution is to carry both.

:iagree:

I carry a Kershaw Blur as well. My wonderful wife bought it for me for X-mas 5 years ago.
the other reply I just did, I clicked on the wrong quote button, and I could not figure out how to delete it. Sorry.
 And all the boards did shrink;
 Nor any drop to drink.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 06:10:27 PM
For the life of me I cannot understand why people are enamored with folders; they only do one thing! I had a SAK years ago, I think it was a 91 mm red Tinker, but thought they seemed kind of like a toy and gimmicky. Little did I know. Then I got into Leatherman but as soon as I discoverd the Alox 93 mm it was all over! Farmer EVERYDAY!

Welcome to MTO! :cheers:

OH, and pics of the farmer are pretty much mandatory ;)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 11:54:29 PM
I have several modes of carry, depending on what I'm doing and where I'm going.

1) Swiss Knife Carry
This usually means that the knife will handle pretty much everything, except pliers, long narrow flat blade driver, and maybe Phillips.

Accompanying tools will likely be Leatherman Sideclip, Victorinox Spirit X, Knifeless Diesel, KF4, Knifeless MP400

2) Traditional knife carry.
Now I'm reliant on the pliers tool to cover everything else. Scissors being the main thing. However, I don't tend to go for the traditional knife carry, unless I'm unlikely to need much aside fron the scissors and maybe a Phillips

Accompanying tools likely to be modified Knifeless Fuse, Knifeless MP400, Balance.

3) Pocket clipped OHO slippie.

There are times when one hand opening just makes life easier, or a slightly more substantial feeling knife is nice to have. Locks don't interest me, and don't offer me a safer knife despite what the sales pitch says, but being able to leave your knife closed in your pocket right up until you're ready to cut, can make a task easier and safer.

Accompanying tool is usually a modified knifeless Wave.

-----

I will always want a Swiss knife in my options, but I do have other options that work for me, so I don't have to carry one every day. Sometimes it's nice to do something differently, like using a ferro rod instead of a lighter, shaving with a straight instead of my usual double edge razor, or using a different type of knife/tool to complete a task.

Although I've cut down drastically on my pocket tools, I still have variety to be able to do something different. Yes, I could achieve everything with one toolset, much like I could probably go through life with one pair of shoes - but I don't have to - and I enjoy being able to choose between a few different things.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline getahl

Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 05:36:42 AM
I nearly always have a Classic on me, and is often my primary folder. I'm an office drone, a cube dweller,  I push papers, not boxes. The Classic works for most everything I need.

For other things, I use other knives. I have a paring knife in my lunchbox for food. I use a utility knife for dirty, hard use, or for prolonged use - the Classic is tiny, after all. Won't handle much abuse, for that matter. I have Xacto knives,  a couple Olfa knives,  and scissors for lots of other things. I find I don't use my pocket knives for too much anymore,  at least not for reasons I manufacture.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 11:48:02 AM
I started with a SAK (original Traveller in the early 80's). Then I saw a friend with a Puma folder and wanted a folder too, and bought myself one. But it never got real use. So I stayed SAK.

When I've earned my first own money I did upgrade to a Swisschamp but soon figured out its limits when it comes to heavier tasks (bend the flat screwdriver bottle-opener and disliked the slippery Phillips).

That brought me to the Multitool path and I've got a Leatherman Supertool in 1995. But I did not carry it everywhere due to its size and weight.
However our perfectly co-exists with the SAK's.

Now recently I've got introduced to a Case Mini Trapper (California clip/Wharncliffe combi) and love it for my daily food prep tasks in the office and its easy and unobtrusive carry. Thanks Nix for this little gem!
The California Clip blade works better for me there than the usual 91mm SAK one.

To me it all depends on personal needs and situation, the tasks to be done but also just the joy of a well crafted simple tool.
It's great to have a choice of various tools for different tasks.

:hatsoff:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 12:06:25 PM by MTMatt »

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 01:12:08 PM
"Once you go SAK, you can never go back."
You are so right. It's like the famous song 'Hotel Victorinox': "You can check out any time you like, But you can never leave!'

I do not see why some pocket knives have three blades and for the rest have no extra tools. For example this US pocket knife that is part of the SRU-16/P Parachute Pack survival kit. In my opinion it is a rather useless part of the kit.

SRU-16P survival knife.JPG
* SRU-16P survival knife.JPG (Filesize: 246 KB)

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 01:21:46 PM
"Once you go SAK, you can never go back."
You are so right. It's like the famous song 'Hotel Victorinox': "You can check out any time you like, But you can never leave!'

I do not see why some pocket knives have three blades and for the rest have no extra tools. For example this US pocket knife that is part of the SRU-16/P Parachute Pack survival kit. In my opinion it is a rather useless part of the kit.

Those guys often end up in places they didn't plan to (the winds... you know). They use those knifes for trading into food, transport etc.
 :whistle:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 01:23:12 PM by MTMatt »

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 05:42:44 PM
I nearly always have a Classic on me, and is often my primary folder. I'm an office drone, a cube dweller,  I push papers, not boxes. The Classic works for most everything I need.

For other things, I use other knives. I have a paring knife in my lunchbox for food. I use a utility knife for dirty, hard use, or for prolonged use - the Classic is tiny, after all. Won't handle much abuse, for that matter. I have Xacto knives,  a couple Olfa knives,  and scissors for lots of other things. I find I don't use my pocket knives for too much anymore,  at least not for reasons I manufacture.

You'd have got along with my dad great. Right tool for the job at hand!
 :tu: :tu: :tu:

I don't understand this new idea of the tactical knife as the do everything knife. When I was kid, everyman carried a small one or two bladed pocket knife about the size of a classic or executive. If they went hunting, the carried a "huntin knife." If they went fishing, they carried their "fishing knife." The pocketknife was a little thing used for opening mail, cutting twine, or whittling a toothpick, or what ever small job came up. If things got rough and dirty, the old Stanley 99 came out.

us Offline getahl

Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 10:03:23 PM

You'd have got along with my dad great. Right tool for the job at hand!
 :tu: :tu: :tu:

I don't understand this new idea of the tactical knife as the do everything knife. When I was kid, everyman carried a small one or two bladed pocket knife about the size of a classic or executive. If they went hunting, the carried a "huntin knife." If they went fishing, they carried their "fishing knife." The pocketknife was a little thing used for opening mail, cutting twine, or whittling a toothpick, or what ever small job came up. If things got rough and dirty, the old Stanley 99 came out.

I've been reading your stories and posts, here and around the web, for years now. That's high praise, in my book.

I can't lie, I still carry other knives.  I still like them. But the blades have to be thin, preferably,  and fully flat ground, or with a such a high hollow grind that it's thin behind the bevel. My knives have to slice. As much as I like the feel of a larger Spyderco in hand, I typically cannot stand how thick some of the grinds are. Saber ground Endura, Pacific Salt? I feel like I am cutting something with a brick,  whereas their FFG are dreams to cut with. Opinels and SAKs top out the list as well.

As far off topic as that is, I can say that I've had a love affair with SAKs going back to 1993, when I received a Tinker as  a gift. I love my little gadgets, even light duty ones such as a SAK.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 10:16:09 PM
To turn the thread in a slightly different direction, is a Victorinox Solo/Sentinel (any single layer knife with just a blade) really a SAK?  I never really got the point of Vic making those models.
- Steve

us Offline getahl

Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 03:24:58 AM
To turn the thread in a slightly different direction, is a Victorinox Solo/Sentinel (any single layer knife with just a blade) really a SAK?  I never really got the point of Vic making those models.

Technically speaking, they are SAKs, even if they effectively regular pocket knives. I'd rather have a Tinker or some such instead, though.

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 03:37:55 AM
I like to carry a SAK AND a traditional. Grew up with a stockman, my dad felt I was responsible at 12 to not lose a quality made one and he reasoned the spey blade would be a great tool for skinnng out a jack rabbits. So he bought me one without my  asking. At 51 I still have that Shrade 340T knife. At work I carry a Classic and a Peanut. Everywhere else a SAK on a pocket clip and the Peanut in my jeans watch pocket. I like that pointed clip blade. Often on weekends I keep my Case Trapper on my belt. Did breakfast prep with it this morning, chopped all the veggies for a crock pot of split pea soup. Processed a few Eastern Grey squirrels with it last fall. If I got back into deer hunting, I Know that spey blade would unzip a deer perfectly. Because many people say they still do with theirs. I hunted and cleaned up a few big squirrels this weekend for a nice meal. With my SAK or traditional ? I've done it with my Pioneer, with my Trapper and all 3 stockmans. Nope, grabbed my Grohmann trout/bird knife. Like fixed blades, too.

Why still traditional ? Just because I like them too, and want to. Simply, I like knives in general.
That said a SAK is still in my pocket to pick a splinter or tighten a screw. Can't imagine not carrying one.

Why would a knife have 3 blades ??? That's from a time and era when those blades had a distinct purpose in livestock agriculture and became popular. Some still find those specialized blade shapes useful around the house. Some carry a large stockman big game hunting.

And although you don't hear as much about fur trapping these days, those who did often found a couple of different traditional folder patterns very useful for the task.

That's my story, I'm sticking to it  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:43:53 AM by WolfyW »
"The older I get, the better I was".

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 11:49:41 AM

I think they wanted to reach that part of the market that only wanted one-bladed knifes. This way, there's no excuse to not have a Victorinox.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 05:36:15 AM
I have one carry mode...Vic Spirit. :multi:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 05:41:16 AM
:nothingtoadd:

:tu: :like: :iagree:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline knifecoop

Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 03:42:25 PM
 :iagree: I've owned many knives over the years from traditionals to custom tacticals. I have to say that SAKS remain  and are carried daily while all the rest flow in and out of my "accumulation"!  :climber:
Cheers!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD