Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alox Waiter

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Alox Waiter
on: November 18, 2018, 01:09:25 AM
Guys,

I want to make an Alox Waiter.  How could I modify the back scale to accept a corkscrew?  I have basic DIY competence and I'm not afraid to try new stuff.  I just don't have a CNC machine, but if it's possible to modify an alox scale with a corkscrew cutout with ordinary hand or power tools, I'm in. 

Or, wishing out loud here, is there anyone who sells pre-modified alox scales? 

Many thanks in advance,

Myron

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Alox Waiter
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 06:42:05 AM
Easy enough to do.  Just take an outer liner with the cutout, use the end pivot holes to pin it next to the alox scale and use it as a template to draw/cut round.  Hacksaw then files & sandpaper to finish.

Have a look here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5287.msg1797137.html#msg1797137 for a recent example.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 03:48:46 PM
Exactly!  Thanks for pointing me in this direction, Hiraethus.  I've never peeled the lid back on that thread, it being 175 pages long!  Haha, I guess I'll just join it in progress now.  :)

Thanks again,

Myron

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 04:23:38 PM
Ah, you need a weekend to yourself - have a good dig through it for inspiration. :D

Offline Andrew Rueger

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 02:49:28 AM
I have done a waiter as well (waiter X I guess as it has wenger scissors as well), the link provided in to my mod. I use a pair of cutting dykes to remove chunks of material after tracing a scale liner on the inside of the alox scale. The aluminium is rather easy to remove with files from there, I finished it off with fine emery paper. The other important thing to remember is that the 84mm knives with back side tools like a corkscrew or phillips has a fouth pin. I use a blind pin as it would come out right through the shield if you drilled through the scale and peened like the rest. I drill just about 1mm into the scale so that it traps the 4th pin in place, getting the pin to length is a bit tricky but with patience and time it can easily be done.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 05:02:16 AM
Excellent; thank you, Andrew.  I think I will give this a try and if I do rest assured I will post my results here. 

Thanks again!

Myron

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69