Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Look: Victorinox Skipper Navy Camouflage

de Offline Thehunt

First Look: Victorinox Skipper Navy Camouflage
on: November 18, 2018, 04:01:55 PM
When one is discussing Victorinox, the first distinctive feature is size. The smallest being the Classic line, measuring 58 mm, the Classic in itself one of the most sold tools made by Victorinox.

The big boys on the other hand come in a whopping 111 mm frame, that´s the size of a reasonable folder and fits one hand pretty well.
So, today we take a look at the new Skipper in Navy Camouflage.

In it´s natural habitat:

The Skipper model isn´t that new per se, but the colour pattern is. The scales come in Navy Camouflage, modeled after the current US Navy camouflage. It would be great news to me, if the Swiss themselves had a Navy... :-)

The Skipper is a four-layer tool, meaning it´s nearly square in diameter.

On the far right we have the Herkules, next is the Skipper. Some Forrester variations (love this one), the (older) German GAK and on the far left a Sentinel. That´s a different as the  111 mm range can be.

One 111 mm does not equal all 111 mm. As you can see, the blades alone are quite different:

Both two-handed operation, but different as can be:

There´s difference in width, the old Herkules still having the side lock, which was pahsed out, if I´m not mistaken. The Skipper comes with the newish liner lock, which needs the base of the blade to be a little wider than usual.

The Skipper combines the two-handed operation, known from the older models and the more modern serrations.  Locking is done by liner lock, wich has to be pushed to the right to disengage. Unusual in the knife world, standard for Victorinox.

I always wondered, if I choose to chisel grind my blades, why in gods name would I do so on the wrong side?
Think about all the Emerson knives, you know what I mean.
Form follows function!

The good folks at Victorinox show, that you can get it done right. The grind is on the right side, pun intended.

Serrations up front, plain edge at the back. Perfect for cutting rope or other fibrous material. If you like you still can do feathersticks. Or sharpen a pencil.
Do you know another two-handed Victorinox, which has a serratetd blade?
Nicely done:

The blade markings:

The liner which engages the blade does the same thing on the large and ultra robust screwdriver:

Just for comparison, the older 111 mm screwdriver, quite a difference, won´t you say?

The can opener is the same, from 91 mm to 111 mm. Trivia: All Cadet models have a slightly smaller can opener built in, just so you know.
That´s how differently a Swiss Cross can be done:

Burnt, molded, printed, everything is possible.

Does anybody notice anything special?

Exactly, the pliers nail nick is on the "wrong" side!
Why is that?
The reason is the liner lock. Design-wise it simply has to be between the opener layer and the large blade.

That´s why the blade is on the right, or left side from the pliers, depending on locking mechanism.
Otherwise the pliers are the same version, which is used in the 91 mm as well. It´s a proven design, so why change it?

If you need a beefier set of pliers, go with a plier based tool, like the Boatsman, Spirit or the all-time-classic, the Swisstool.

If you don´t pay close attention, you could easily miss the phillips screwdriver. It´s hidden beneath the pliers, saving some space.

Bottom middle in this picture. The shortest phillips driver is build into the Evolution Grip S54 (a former Wenger model), the Swisstool comes with the longest one, being a full scale multitool. No surprises here, right?

By the way:
You see the two phillips drivers on top from the Explorers? The longer one is from the old version, the slightly shorter from the current one.

I really do like the fact that tweezers and toothpick are on board the Skipper, well done!

Neither the dual density scales nor the wood scales have them. With the olive German GAK the cannels for the tweezers and toothpick are sealed, Grunt-proof, so to speak.
But you can open them, as I have done...

And now for the cabinet of oddities:
You all surely have a tool, that you always missed on a Victorinox, or which is at least extremely rare, right?
Like the orange peeler on the Executive...

Let´s see...:

The Skipper comes with a marlin spike and a shackle opener, just in line with the maritime theme.
But the marlin spike is a rarety. As rare as the included lanyard. Nearly all Victorinox tools come with a keyring, but the cordage isn´t usually supplied.

The small eye is for sewing, the larger one to open shackles. The tip works as a mini phillips screwdriver as well, if you know what you´re doing, that is. The whole tool in itself is the marlin spike, to splice up rope, doing artfull knots and the like.

Looks good on land as well:

I really do like the new camouflage pattern and the tool selection the Skipper comes with.
But I have to admit, the serrations just had kitchen duty, as we where on vacation. But I can tell you, they easily outperformed any knife I found in the kitchen in our cabin, that´s for sure. :-)

It´s sunday, so time to rest:

As always, thanks for bearing with me.

If you have any questions, shoot!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 04:04:35 PM by Thehunt »
M

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: First Look: Victorinox Skipper Navy Camouflage
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 04:47:26 PM
Nice write-up! And a very cool knife!

de Offline Shuya

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 01:44:06 PM
Do you know another two-handed Victorinox, which has a serratetd blade?

Just to answer your question: Yep, got one. Serrated Picknicker, came in a set with a spoon, if I remember correctly. Dont have the spoon or the sheath it came with it anymore, bu still got the knife in a box somewhere.
Has the same serration as your Skipper, but with Slide Lock.

Just check our Wiki: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Picnicker

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 01:51:23 PM by Shuya »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 03:43:42 PM
Very nice collection and good review  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!