Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger PocketGrip Variations

J-sews · 54 · 17658

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Wenger PocketGrip Variations
Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 03:50:33 PM
Its got the pe blade  :tu: i prefer this blade ,the bit holder isnt overly secure and i wish the bits was magnetized in the holder as some fall out while removing it,plus its defently a pouch carry sak,i do like the pliers though and its got real fiddle factor  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 05:15:00 AM
Great fiddle factor indeed, sometimes that makes up for a lot of other shortcomings! :tu: :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 10:43:06 AM
Great fiddle factor indeed, sometimes that makes up for a lot of other shortcomings! :tu: :D

Plus a good looking sak  :tu: oddly reminds me of a tick :D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:44:51 AM by Zed »

Offline scuba99

Reply #33 on: October 14, 2018, 05:28:33 PM
For sale via ebay (I can't PM because I'm a newbie). 

I read the forum rules, but am obviously a rookie, so please let me know if I'm goofing up.

These are pretty rare apparently, and I found a good description on a thread here:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=934.0

Dad got me this years ago, and I don't use it.  Scales have nicks b/c it was in my tool drawer.

The rules say post a price.  The current bid on ebay is less than $10.  I had a buy-it-now for around $75, but for some reason that doesn't appear now. 

Thanks in advance for any interest.  If you buy through this link, ebay doesn't charge me fees, so appreciate it if you can figure it out.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:19:28 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: October 14, 2018, 06:04:14 PM
Welcome to the forum scuba. Hopefully you are not here just to promote your E-Bay sales. Stick around and introduce yourself in the new member forum  :cheers:

A link to your thread in the Buy and sell would have been the way to go.

au Offline munecito

Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 09:06:49 AM
Topic resurrection level plus.

Here is a photo of my old beloved girl.

The amount of laughter that it has provoked when working on stage along the leatherman crew, the times it has served me well, the amount of fly miles we have accumulated.

I bought it about 14 years ago brand new in a liquidation. It has never been too far from me since.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 10:57:05 AM
 :like: Welcome to the forum! Glad to see someone using this beauty for so long.  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 09, 2019, 10:58:31 AM
Wow! I've never seen one of those. Looks like an awesome multitool!

au Offline munecito

Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 06:42:28 PM
Thanks for welcoming us here.

The only thing I wished for with my pocketgrip was to have a locking blade and the flat screwdriver/prybar.

For the rest she is perfect.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: April 09, 2019, 08:16:34 PM
Thanks for welcoming us here.

The only thing I wished for with my pocketgrip was to have a locking blade and the flat screwdriver/prybar.

For the rest she is perfect.

It's actually called IronGrip
Wenger did several versions of the Pocket Grip - it's refreshing to see one actually gettkng used.
I have quite s few variations of the Pocket Grip - sadly none see use.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #40 on: April 10, 2019, 02:42:30 PM
It's actually called IronGrip
Wenger did several versions of the Pocket Grip - it's refreshing to see one actually gettkng used.
I have quite s few variations of the Pocket Grip - sadly none see use.
So why not use them?  :pok:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: April 10, 2019, 02:59:23 PM
It sure is neat to know an Iron grip is being used.  Thanks for resurrecting the thread.  I have the blunt nose and needle nose pocket grip.  They sure are neat.  Mine see no use and both are what I believe to be new or very close to new.  Mine were bought purely for collecting purposes.  I was super stoked to get the sheaths as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline munecito

Reply #42 on: April 10, 2019, 03:21:30 PM
The Velcro in the sheath of mine barely holds these days.

I used to be the head flyman at the Sydney theatre and that was my belt tool for all the bump ins and bump outs. And the amount of times it drew blood :ahhh

And now as a photographer she has a more relaxed life.

The only things I had to replace were the bit holder that I lost and managed to get a couple of new ones from Wenger years ago. I may still have one somewhere. And the bits that have been used and abused.

In all honestly. That thing is built like a tank. It is a shame that they are not made anymore.

This one is a needle nose with the pivoting lock.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: April 10, 2019, 03:29:18 PM
 :salute: testament to the build quality.  It really is nice to know its has served you well and continues to do so.  It also looks to be in very nice condition as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 06:41:32 PM
That thing is built like a tank. It is a shame that they are not made anymore.

Amen to that!

au Offline munecito

Reply #45 on: April 10, 2019, 06:43:17 PM
I don't think the scratches showed too much in the photo but she has a few battle scars.

But nothing too bad. Mostly on the straight Blade and the actual grips close to the blade.

I got a bit inspired after I wrote my previous reply. I felt a bit nostalgic so I cut off the loop side of the Velcro and gave it a new iron on loop there. So now the sheath closes properly and has that nice rip sound when I open it.

I wish I had known about this site before. I bet you guys would have helped me made my mind when I was offered the Wenger 16999 for under two Aussie grand.

I had the money I just couldn't justify that purchase in my head. That and hiding it from my wife would have proven a bit difficult. But what a great conversation starter and nice piece for the coffee table it would have been.

Maybe someday I'll find another one.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: April 10, 2019, 07:55:44 PM
The Wenger Giant - I don't know if it's worth 2000 Oz dollars to be honest. Since it's a totally useless tool, it's basically like a gigantic practical joke. I really wouldn't know what to do with such an object. Since it's so expensive to start with, will the price do much over time?
Your 2000 Oz dollars could have been far better deployed on all those formerly dirt cheap Wenger Rangers etc which are now worth a small fortune. For instance, my Ranger Realtree Snow (or whatever the heck it was called) cost 35 euros and I think I could easily get more than a 150 for it on ebay. I saw a Ranger Realtree Blaze go for ca. 230 the other day. That's not bad for a 35 Euro small investment.
Well, like with Bitcoin we all wish we'd known in 2014 what we know now. Nice Wengers are expensive now and they won't get cheaper.
One thing is for sure, though: colourful Victorinox Pioneers usually increase in price over the years, as do the alox Damascus knives. As you know, since 2010 Victorinox makes a special run of pricy knives with Damascus blades - 5000 or max 6000 of them and you think "Blimey! You'd have to be nuts!" - but they all increase in value over the years, the ones with alox handles especially. So you can definitely buy those with a clear conscience and if the lady of the house tells you you're nuts, tell her it'll be worth double in two years time. It's an investment!
Most Saks I don't think of as investments at all, I just like them and use them. But the ones that are just going to sit around being useless, I want them to increase in value otherwise they may as well be sitting in someone else's house. The Wenger Giant certainly works as a shelf queen but that's all it could ever be - so I don't think you missed anything there.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #47 on: April 10, 2019, 08:45:41 PM
 :iagree:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: April 10, 2019, 09:02:33 PM
So why not use them?  :pok:

Because i bought them for collection. It would be very hard to track these down now.

The Wenger Giant - I don't know if it's worth 2000 Oz dollars to be honest. Since it's a totally useless tool, it's basically like a gigantic practical joke. I really wouldn't know what to do with such an object. Since it's so expensive to start with, will the price do much over time?
Your 2000 Oz dollars could have been far better deployed on all those formerly dirt cheap Wenger Rangers etc which are now worth a small fortune. For instance, my Ranger Realtree Snow (or whatever the heck it was called) cost 35 euros and I think I could easily get more than a 150 for it on ebay. I saw a Ranger Realtree Blaze go for ca. 230 the other day. That's not bad for a 35 Euro small investment.
Well, like with Bitcoin we all wish we'd known in 2014 what we know now. Nice Wengers are expensive now and they won't get cheaper.
One thing is for sure, though: colourful Victorinox Pioneers usually increase in price over the years, as do the alox Damascus knives. As you know, since 2010 Victorinox makes a special run of pricy knives with Damascus blades - 5000 or max 6000 of them and you think "Blimey! You'd have to be nuts!" - but they all increase in value over the years, the ones with alox handles especially. So you can definitely buy those with a clear conscience and if the lady of the house tells you you're nuts, tell her it'll be worth double in two years time. It's an investment!
Most Saks I don't think of as investments at all, I just like them and use them. But the ones that are just going to sit around being useless, I want them to increase in value otherwise they may as well be sitting in someone else's house. The Wenger Giant certainly works as a shelf queen but that's all it could ever be - so I don't think you missed anything there.

Whilst I agree with you on your post, I completely disagree with regards to the Wenger Giant. You need to realise that this beast will very soon generate cult status and rightly so. Whilst Victorinox had their own "Giants" XAVT & XXLT both of which are dwarfed by the massive Wenger Giant. They are lemons next to the pie!!
Back in 2012 when Wenger announced they were stopping production I posted numerous threads here about how their value would skyrocket...especially the Rangers.
Your estimate value of your snow is pretty low - one appeared on eBay.de for €299 - I scoffed at the absurdity...it was snapped up the same day. Ranger Snows are possibly now one of the most sought after models in the Ranger line up. As I understand it, the snows were the very last models that Wenger released in the ranger series.

image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 199.67 KB)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:13:50 PM by tosh »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: April 10, 2019, 10:10:13 PM
You were totally right about the Rangers, that's for sure! In fact it's hard to think of a single Wenger that didn't massively increase in value.
Your collection must make you happy!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: April 10, 2019, 10:25:40 PM
You were totally right about the Rangers, that's for sure! In fact it's hard to think of a single Wenger that didn't massively increase in value.
Your collection must make you happy!

It's nice to have them, but I never even look at them these days, everything is sealed up with sachets of silica gel!
I don't regret buying them, but it's put me off collecting things in future. Luckily there were only a hundred or so Rangers to collect, had it been the 85mm....I would have probably spent the rest of my life searching...that's exactly why I went after the Rangers, specifically the 130mm...I knew it was possible to get the bulk of them relatively quick.
Had wenger not stopped production I probably wouldn't have bought any more Wengers than I had at the time (5-6). Collecting's Ok, if there's a end in sight...take leatherman….the new FREE series will cost collectors an absolute fortune. It never ends when the product is constantly in production, it just becomes a lifelong obsession.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:35:06 PM by tosh »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #51 on: April 11, 2019, 09:51:08 AM
Wow Tosh - it sounds like your collection doesn't make you happy at all.

Would it help if you displayed some of your favourite items? It's such a great collection you have - you deserve to get some enjoyment from it  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:08:36 AM by magentus »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: April 11, 2019, 11:04:07 AM
Wow Tosh - it sounds like your collection doesn't make you happy at all.

Would it help if you displayed some of your favourite items? It's such a great collection you have - you deserve to get some enjoyment from it  :cheers:

When I first came here, it was because I was fascinated by the many different concepts of Multitools
Most of the famous USA brands had already stopped production and I quickly set about grabbing as many as I could.
It was the evolution of the multitool that fascinated. But it's all gone pretty stale in recent years no doubt due to the various patents preventing others coming out with fresh ideas.

The Wengers were bought specifically as an investment - I want to ensure they stay as pristine as possible - hence why they are all stored away.

au Offline munecito

Reply #53 on: April 12, 2019, 06:01:47 AM
I'm sure that those 2 G that the big Wenger would have cost me would be cents in the price that it will achieve later.

I have seen one advertised for almost 10 Grand Us. Not saying that it will get that money but still not a bad investment.

And I would have it on display at home because it is a beautiful thing. So nice and shiny.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%