Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Only in a Jeep.....

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Only in a Jeep.....
Reply #30 on: November 21, 2018, 03:24:55 PM

That is absolutely gorgeous, and the canoes are very sweet as well!  You should let us know more about them in the paddling thread.   :D

Def

Thanks Grant!  I didn't realize there was a paddling thread, so I will certainly check it out. 

Now that’s a classic, really like that one.  Bet it’s hard to get parts though.   :tu:

Actually not that bad.  There are several good parts houses in the US, mostly in the NE states.  You can always buy parts from the UK too.  What you can't do, however, is roll down to the neighborhood NAPA store and pick up this or that...  It just takes a little planning. 

Is that like a 1966???

Hey Ray.  It's a 1964 actually.  But like most old Land Rovers it has parts on it from a couple other Rovers.  When I took it off the road to restore it 10  years ago, I had a 1972 parts car that I cannibalized for some parts that were NLA new. 

I like that Land Rover!! :drool: :drool:

Thanks Barry!  It's a lot of fun, that's for sure.  That picture was taken several years ago on a paddling trip in northern Michigan.  Here's a more recent picture of it; I've been rolling with the roof off of it lately. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Very nice indeed. Here's mine

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #31 on: November 21, 2018, 03:39:57 PM
The other interesting factoid is that the LJ (longer wheelbase version of the TJ) with the 4.0L and 5 speed manual has a towing capacity of 3500lbs, while the standard version is limited to 2000 because of the extra length.  The LJ is 13 inches longer than a standard TJ, so my guess is that this kit would also increase the towing capacity to that as I think it extends the wheelbase about the same amount.

Interesting thing about the XJ...  With the towing package and AW4 automatic, it's rated to tow 5000(!!) pounds.  The XJ weighs ~3200lb, and I pull a 2700lb (dry) RV with mine, and I wouldn't go any heavier.  The 101" wheelbase is a bit limiting, as is the cooling capacity.  I've fitted about the largest transmission cooler I can.  WD hitch and electric brakes are a must.

I've often considered buying a JKU, but the wheelbase is 14" longer than my XJ and 24" longer than my Bronco, and just wouldn't work on the tight trails I tend to run.  The JL 4-door is another 2.4" longer!!  If I ever found an LJ for a reasonable price, I would jump on it immediately.

Nice Rovers all!!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 04:00:03 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 21, 2018, 03:49:31 PM
I'll post some pics of my 94 YJ this spring after I fix a few things.

* OnlyInAYJ.jpg (Filesize: 6.47 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: November 21, 2018, 04:05:39 PM
The other interesting factoid is that the LJ (longer wheelbase version of the TJ) with the 4.0L and 5 speed manual has a towing capacity of 3500lbs, while the standard version is limited to 2000 because of the extra length.  The LJ is 13 inches longer than a standard TJ, so my guess is that this kit would also increase the towing capacity to that as I think it extends the wheelbase about the same amount.

Interesting thing about the XJ...  With the towing package and AW4 automatic, it's rated to tow 5000(!!) pounds.  The XJ weighs ~3200lb, and I pull a 2700lb (dry) RV with mine, and I wouldn't go any heavier.  The 101" wheelbase is a bit limiting, as is the cooling capacity.  I've fitted about the largest transmission cooler I can.

I've often considered buying a JKU, but the wheelbase is 14" longer than my XJ and 24" longer than my Bronco, and just wouldn't work on the tight trails I tend to run.  The JL 4-door is another 2.4" longer!!  If I ever found an LJ for a reasonable price, I would jump on it immediately.

Nice Rovers all!!  :cheers:

I have a 3500lb towing capacity in my JKU because I made sure it had the heavier rear end, and, while I have towed a lot more than 3500lbs with it, (I hauled about 4500lbs a thousand miles a few years ago  :ahhh) I really don't like to max out a machine.  I feel like an overpowered machine running at 60% capacity will last a lot longer than one running at 90% to do the same job.  As it is, my JKU has more than enough power to haul that much, and, with a longer and wider wheelbase than an XJ I don't understand why I have a lower towing capacity- until I learned a dirty little secret.

Apparently in some places a JKU is rated at 6,000lbs towing, but not in NA because Chrysler didn't want to hurt sales of the Durango, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.  It used to be that the Wranglers didn't encroach on those markets because Wranglers were rough and had no cargo space or options, but nowadays they are just as nice inside as anything else.  I have heated seats, heated power mirrors, auto darkening rear view mirror, power locks, power windows, remote start, a power invertor and other nice things not previously available in a Wrangler.  Chrysler had to keep those other models going somehow, so they limited the towing capacity.

TBH, if I was in charge of Chrysler, I think I would toss a bunch of other models and realize that the Wrangler is where my bread is buttered, and offer it in more configurations, like a Hemi version as well as the (supposedly) coming diesel and hybrid options.  A Hemi powered 4 door Wrangler should be able to pull 10,000lbs without much of a problem.  Any more than that and you really need to start thinking about a 5th wheel setup anyway.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #34 on: November 21, 2018, 04:10:40 PM
I have a 3500lb towing capacity in my JKU because I made sure it had the heavier rear end, and, while I have towed a lot more than 3500lbs with it, (I hauled about 4500lbs a thousand miles a few years ago  :ahhh) I really don't like to max out a machine.  I feel like an overpowered machine running at 60% capacity will last a lot longer than one running at 90% to do the same job.  As it is, my JKU has more than enough power to haul that much, and, with a longer and wider wheelbase than an XJ I don't understand why I have a lower towing capacity- until I learned a dirty little secret.

Agreed.  The venerable 4.0L has no trouble pulling 3000#, especially with the very stout AW4 transmission.  Above that, it begins to struggle--especially when pulling a wall of an RV down the highway at 60+ MPH.

Apparently in some places a JKU is rated at 6,000lbs towing, but not in NA because Chrysler didn't want to hurt sales of the Durango, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.  It used to be that the Wranglers didn't encroach on those markets because Wranglers were rough and had no cargo space or options, but nowadays they are just as nice inside as anything else.  I have heated seats, heated power mirrors, auto darkening rear view mirror, power locks, power windows, remote start, a power invertor and other nice things not previously available in a Wrangler.  Chrysler had to keep those other models going somehow, so they limited the towing capacity.

This goes on frequently nowadays.  I have a 2012 Ford Focus that is not rated for towing AT ALL in NA, but the same car is rated in Europe.  Ford certainly wouldn't want someone buying a Focus and hauling a utility trailer or ATVs, etc. when they can sell an SUV with a much higher profit margin to the same customer!!

It is a good thing they didn't though, because the manumatic transmission that most people opt for in a Focus is a POS.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 04:22:41 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: November 22, 2018, 07:00:01 AM

Very nice indeed. Here's mine

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow Smashie.....very, very nice indeed.  And you certainly know your winches....good choice.   :tu:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:01:41 AM by Boonies »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #36 on: November 22, 2018, 01:27:23 PM
Absolutely beautiful!!  Thanks for sharing!
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #37 on: November 22, 2018, 01:28:01 PM
 :like:.
I'll post some pics of my 94 YJ this spring after I fix a few things.
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD