Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kabar Kephart

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Kabar Kephart
on: November 20, 2018, 03:50:02 AM
Noticed this new release on Knife News and had to share.

Kabar has came out with their interpretation of an old design, the Kephart. I normally don't do most of Kabar's new stuff, as it's either imported and/or reeks of "mall ninja" (espeically their Zombie fixed blades, which is one of a small few of non Mark II-based USA made offerings) otherwise some variant on the Mark II. My great-granddad made a similar design himself, out of an old saw blade. I was thinking about making my own interpretation of it, with a more comfortable handle and a thicker blade, but I don't have the skills. Looks like Kabar already did what I wanted to do.

For me, it will probably be bought with Christmas money in January when it's released.

https://knifenews.com/ethan-becker-draws-on-piece-of-knife-history-for-new-ka-bar-kephart/

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Kabar Kephart
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 04:06:09 AM
Looks nice, I want one.   :dd:   :gimme:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 05:45:42 AM
 :iagree: :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 03:37:10 PM

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 04:48:16 PM
yes, I thought that this was KaBar's best new offering in years.  :o
From Ethan Becker himself:

"I am very proud to announce that the Horace Kephart designed BK&T/Ka-Bar Model BK62 is about to ship.

This iconic blade was designed by America’s foremost writer and proponent of traveling and living “out.” I spent a lot of time reading a lot of books on the outdoors before finding Kephart and discovering that all those works were derivative of Kep.

In my opinion this blade comes as close to the universal outdoor tool of any knife designed in the twentieth century. It is of deceptively simple design and shape but, once in hand it speaks with clarity and it screams utility. Kephart spent many years working this blade and the one that he used shows the telltale signs of a well used and well loved possession. he used it to filet fish, skin and dress game birds and both small and large game. He cut his onions and carrots, sliced his bread and salami with it and then buttered the bread with it. He used it to do the work required to make cranes, pot lifters, tent stakes and a myriad of other camp accessories and necessaries.

It is a woodsman’s tool par excellence with a wonderfully flat profile that is unlikely to snag in rough going and in the area he lived, hunted, fished and rambled the going can be exceeding rough. Laurel and Rhododendron “Hell’s” will teach you a great big bunch about getting snagged enroute. He chased Bear and deer through some of the most challenging country I know.

The design also gives a lovely orientation in the hand..You are never in doubt as to the angle of the blade vis a vis the target and the what appears to be little bumps at the blade end of the handle are incredibly ergonomic. The blade shape is kinda pre drop point and quite utilitarian. I spent some time trying to find an antecedent and the closest I came was a blade made by a very obscure German cutler in the 1800’s and it is improbable that even with Kephart‘s almost demonic scholarship that he would be aware of it.

We tried very hard to remain as true to the original Colclesser manufactured original as possible. The handle scales are American Black Walnut and the steel in the blade is 1095CV which is not dissimilar to the carbon steel that the Colclesser Brothers used. The only cosmetic difference is in the fasteners. After using cutler’s rivets early on I refuse to subject any of my customers to them. They will almost always loosen under hard and continuous use. A very nice pouch type leather sheath rounds out what I think is a really interesting and useful blade. A friend at BladeShow said of it; “Everything you need is there and there is nothing you need that is missing”......

Ethan

P.S.....

On a personal note, Horace Kephart was the Director of the Merchantile Library in Saint Louis and both my Becker and Rombauer grandparents were members.Under Horace Kephart that library was a civic gem and in my youth my Mother talked of it’s wonders often. Later when I started to read Kephart I made no connection. Many decades later I found myself living a score of miles from Kep’s first camp on Hazel Creek and tramping much similar ground and I have taken much vicarious pleasure in being pretty certain that I can spot the ridge on which the bear hunt that was written about in “Our Southern Highlanders” took place from the Beckerhead Camp on my place in Monroe County, TN.

Later when this project was in it’s early stages I had the great good luck to join Joe Flowers on a field trip to the Western North Carolina University Library to see their most wonderful collection of Kephart’s gear and writings. This was a brilliant and meticulous man with both intellect and a huge dose of practical knowledge and common sense. I felt a sense of wonder that comes upon me rarely these days. I have also had the privilege of making the acquaintance of Kep’s great grand daughter. Libby Kephart Hargrave. she is a most delightful lady.....

The chance to both own this piece of both outing and cutlery history and the chance to do this project has been a most satisfying and wonderful experience.....E"
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 05:41:23 PM
So now I have to choose between the Ontario Blackbird SK-5 and the Kabar BK62. Both are Kephart based general purpose knives but the BK does come with a nicer sheath. :think:

hr Offline styx

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 11:33:20 PM
that looks really nice
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline armi101

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 03:21:09 AM
Anyone know where to get one to reasonable shipping to Canada. I am having some challenges.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 02:13:09 AM
Nice for sure...and I just downloaded his book onto my IPad for some reading! Looks very promising.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 03:59:49 PM
Has anyone bought one yet? The more I read and watch on YouTube the design of the blade curving in at the top sounds interesting. And it is thinner than my other fix blades.  :popcorn:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 04:13:43 PM
So now I have to choose between the Ontario Blackbird SK-5 and the Kabar BK62. Both are Kephart based general purpose knives but the BK does come with a nicer sheath. :think:

And the BK is closely patterned from an original Kephart.

I'd choose the BK62.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 04:46:28 PM
Looks great.  Well done Kabar.  I wonder tho, bushcrafters and the like have had so many other brands that have made their versions.  Why Kabar take so long?  Glad they came out with this just curious. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 04:53:32 PM

And the BK is closely patterned from an original Kephart.

I'd choose the BK62.
:iagree:
I need to find one and handle it.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 06:13:41 PM

Thanks for sharing the video Steve! :cheers:

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 01:19:18 AM
Looks great.  Well done Kabar.  I wonder tho, bushcrafters and the like have had so many other brands that have made their versions.  Why Kabar take so long?  Glad they came out with this just curious.
Though I can see the advantages of the screwed handles for me something like that should be riveted or pinned as the original. Also am I seeing things or do the scales not sit flush with the tang?
Andrew

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 05:54:42 AM
Though I can see the advantages of the screwed handles for me something like that should be riveted or pinned as the original. Also am I seeing things or do the scales not sit flush with the tang?
I noticed that also...and I think he addressed it in one of the videos he did...I just can’t remember it...will watch them again and see if I find it.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 08:26:59 AM
Just found this thread as I was researching on Becker's knives in the forum, as some of you may know, I had written about this BK62 during the fixie30 fall challenge in 2019.

This knife indeed is one of my all time favorites fixed blade, as in EB's writing, "it has everything needed to be, but nothing that don't".  A very utilitarian 5" blade with simple lines, with a good handle and perfect balance, I fell completely in love with it after first few minutes of holding it.

Later on in the challenge, I put a forced patina on it to personalize it:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 08:42:56 AM
That looks awesome Comis!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 09:17:17 AM
 :cheers:

Simple steel, simple knife....there's a lesson in that.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 09:38:40 AM

That looks awesome Comis!!! :cheers:

:hatsoff: Thank you, I'm lovin it.

:cheers:

Simple steel, simple knife....there's a lesson in that.

Yes, if there is such thing as a "perfect knife", but this might just as well be it(to me at least).  I particularly love how they've tapered the tang and drilled a hole in the full tang just to get the balance absolutely perfect at the index finger.  This knife has a taller and longer blade than my Garberg which has almost identical weight, but due to it's perfect balance, it literally felt 30% lighter.  Kephart once used his knife day in-and-out, and I can't imagine a better way to perfect a knife design than that.  This replica really does shine because of those experience and feedback.   :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 12:14:25 PM

This knife indeed is one of my all time favorites fixed blade, as in EB's writing, "it has everything needed to be, but nothing that don't".  A very utilitarian 5" blade with simple lines, with a good handle and perfect balance, I fell completely in love with it after first few minutes of holding it.

Nice pics and patina comis! :like: :tu: :tu:

Sounds like a great utilitarian knife! :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 12:49:00 PM

This might be an older question in the thread, but my 2 cents worth is that though Ka-bar does produce the knife, they didn't initiate the effort.  It's probably because Ethan Becker did acquire one of the two known originals(the other one is in museum), and from the interviews, he seemed to greatly enjoy the knife and probably which was the reason why he approached Ka-Bar to produce mass produce the knife.  And man, I am so glad he did, otherwise knife enthusiast won't get that chance to play with it.  Other manufacturers might have made what their interpretation of Kephart, but judging from the pictures/dimension/weight, none really does as close resemble the real thing as the BK62.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: October 03, 2019, 04:00:56 PM
First off great patina you forced on the knife.  I rewatched the video and I'd have to agree with you.  Having the original likely put such a smile on his face he HAD to make one. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: October 03, 2019, 05:49:36 PM
Just found this thread as I was researching on Becker's knives in the forum, as some of you may know, I had written about this BK62 during the fixie30 fall challenge in 2019.

(Image removed from quote.)

Very nice patina. I am willing to bet you could pass that off as a new super steel!  :whistle:
Great knife!  :like: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD