Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

An apology...it's a start.

us Offline GrandpaPatch

An apology...it's a start.
on: November 21, 2018, 06:40:48 AM
So I have taken some time away from the board! Yeah, I ran away screaming foul and took my ball and went home. I was so busy scrutinizing everything that I got wrapped up in a stupid tangent and made a COMPLETE SMURF of myself. I didn’t like this or that or whatever. I lost sight of the simple things like a good community with a lot of information and good members who helped out when asked for advice on gear or other things. I tried to join another board and just forget MTO, but I believe a member from here gave them a heads up and I was banned from that board before I could even finish 24 hours as a member. I even created my own EDC board thinking that I might start fresh and overcome. Just today, I got my membership approved for another forum, that I had written off as it was a forum I applied to even before joinIng MTO. I was doing all the wrong things and not correcting my mistakes. I have visited MTO several times since my rant. Everytime I have visited, I have taken a look at not only my rant, but also the replies. Although I can not say I agree with every reply, I can and will say that I did make a COMPLETE SMURF of myself. @ThePeacent and @Aloha007, thank you for your replies. Your replies are what kicked me into gear and moving forward, instead of just sitting and stewing on stupid stuff.

Yes, I do take weapons training seriously and can never stress SAFETY enough, but I outdid myself this time and went off the deep end. As I have said before: IF YOU TAKE CARE OF THE SMALL STUFF, THE BIG STUFF WILL USUALLY TAKE CARE OF ITSELF. The small stuff such as the ‘tone’ of a post. The small stuff such as ‘cramming safety’ or ‘pro-gun information’ into every post. The small stuff such as thinking about photos and content for my next post in the SAK Whittling Club. Had I just taken care of the little stuff, then the big stuff such as my rant wouldn’t have happened. So here I am.

I cannot undo what has been done by my words or actions. I cannot undo the perspectives of each member and how they now view my intentions. I did not join MTO with the intent of ‘stirring the turd’. I did not join MTO with any intentions other than participating in a community that I had lurked about and recognized as a good, friendly and helpful community. I have not tried to come across as ‘holier than thou’, but that is what the perception is according to some of the responses to my rant. Again, I cannot undo what has been done. What I can do is apologize.

To Grant and all the members of MTO who have treated me very nicely, I apologize for not returning that level of respect and courtesy. I apologize for any and all ‘holier than thou’ posts, although I never meant for any of my posts to come across that way (with the exception of my rant). What I meant or intended isn’t how those posts were perceived, so I must apologize to everyone who I have offended with those posts. There is nothing I can say that will change the past, but hopefully my apology is the correct start to moving forward and becoming a good member amongst the great members of MTO.
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: An apology...it's a start.
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 07:19:59 AM
Best thing about this site is that there are a lot of members who don't hold grudges or disdain for other members based off a few off-putting posts. People's personal opinions on controversial topics don't generally indicate whether or not somebody is a good person.

Welcome back, Patch. See you around MT.o. The best MT site on Earth. :multi:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline papadan

• An old wrench tugger
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 07:44:54 AM
Very glad to see you here Grandpa, Semper-Fi brother.  :salute:  :cheers:
just a tired old Multi-fool

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 07:51:43 AM
What I meant or intended isn’t how those posts were perceived,

I think most people who have been online for any amount of time have stepped into that particular salad at some point or another. Especially if the subject is close to the heart and something you have strong and passionate opinions about. It is easy to get carried away.

Communications is hard to get right, and especially so with quick texts of controversial nature. Personally I just aim to cut everyone a fair amount of slack while assuming good intent, and hope for the same in return.

I think everyone want you to stick around, so good seeing you posting again  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:53:01 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 08:01:41 AM
What I meant or intended isn’t how those posts were perceived,

I think most people who have been online for any amount of time have stepped into that particular salad at some point or another. Especially if the subject is close to the heart and something you have strong and passionate opinions about. It is easy to get carried away.

Communications is hard to get right, and especially so with quick texts of controversial nature. Personally I just aim to cut everyone a fair amount of slack while assuming good intent, and hope for the same in return.

I think everyone want you to stick around, so good seeing you posting again  :cheers:
:iagree: Well said Vidar :hatsoff:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 08:03:47 AM
Hey we all make a boo boo now and then.
Welcome back.
Oh and you don't have to stand in the corner. :whistle:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 08:15:03 AM
Hey we all make a boo boo now and then.
Welcome back.
Oh and you don't have to stand in the corner. :whistle:
No... I've looked around and this place doesn't seem to have any sharp corners - and a good thing too, sharps abound anyway. The nearest thing I've found is the naughty step  :pok:
Anyway, I too think it's good you're joining us again Grandpa. This here forum is a strange place in the 7th dimension where grudges tend to escape being held for too long :D
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 08:23:42 AM
Welcome back gramps  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 08:44:33 AM
Hey gramps,

I just finished a reply in your earlier thread, then I saw this. It doesn't get any better than calling oneself out on one's own errors, and simply apologizing and going forward with the intent of being better about things. That's stand-up.

Thanks for that. A great bunch of folks here, I'm sure you already know. Maybe you can identify some like minded folks here, and if frustrations bubble up again, hit one of us up PM and things can be bandied back and forth offline.

I'll be visiting the whittling area. Hope alls well

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 10:25:57 AM
Great seeing you back!

Sometimes I can get angry at people because of the way they act. Usualy some selfish smurf in traffic...

Yet when someone is given sincere aplogies, I'm usualy quite fast in forgetting what happened.

So, I'm glad you came back to us, and applaud you for lowering your defences. MTO is indeed a great place. You can start over just like that.

Patchy... -> :2tu:  :clap:  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 11:59:19 AM
I am sure the aplogy will go a long way :cheers: and good to see you back :salute:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 12:26:36 PM
(...)
I tried to join another board and just forget MTO, but I believe a member from here gave them a heads up and I was banned from that board before I could even finish 24 hours as a member.
 (...)

I don't think that's what happened. We have MTo, we don't care about other forums...

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 01:07:50 PM
If that did happen...that would be far more worrying then whatever proceeded that. As for me...you did not insult me in the least. As far as rants go...not much of one from my perspective either.

I am happy you are back. Although I may not agree with you 100% of the time...I still enjoy reading your threads for the most parts.  :salute:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:11:11 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 01:23:00 PM
Grandpa, I am glad you are sticking around.

I also have to say, that at least for me personally, no apology is necessary.  The fact that you are back and felt that we were worth an apology just helps reiterate in my mind that what we have built here is the best forum to be found- although admittedly I may be a bit biased on that one.  :D

In the early days we were actually considered to be a forum of misfits and castouts from other forums.  If you'd been banned from other forums you probably just ended up here as no one else would take you.  In fact, it was even a badge of honor at one point.  There's a six page thread on it if anyone is looking for something amusing to read:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,11861.0.html

For the record, I think you and John (Hawkchucker) would have gotten along famously.  He was also a retired marine who liked to play with guns, taught his ten year old adopted daughter to shoot, drove a cement truck for an Italian construction company in Boston (and enjoyed all the innuendo that goes with that), and arranged the taxidermy animals at Cabelas into slightly offensive but remarkably hilarious poses when no one was looking.  And, he also was a member of other forums but proudly called this one home- and, in fact, invited a bunch of us to camp with him one weekend in his quiet happy place. 

Good to have you back Gramps.  A forum is only as good as it's members, and we have the best.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 01:27:36 PM
Grandpa, I am glad you are sticking around.

I also have to say, that at least for me personally, no apology is necessary.  The fact that you are back and felt that we were worth an apology just helps reiterate in my mind that what we have built here is the best forum to be found- although admittedly I may be a bit biased on that one.  :D

In the early days we were actually considered to be a forum of misfits and castouts from other forums.  If you'd been banned from other forums you probably just ended up here as no one else would take you.  In fact, it was even a badge of honor at one point.  There's a six page thread on it if anyone is looking for something amusing to read:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,11861.0.html

For the record, I think you and John (Hawkchucker) would have gotten along famously.  He was also a retired marine who liked to play with guns, taught his ten year old adopted daughter to shoot, drove a cement truck for an Italian construction company in Boston (and enjoyed all the innuendo that goes with that), and arranged the taxidermy animals at Cabelas into slightly offensive but remarkably hilarious poses when no one was looking.  And, he also was a member of other forums but proudly called this one home- and, in fact, invited a bunch of us to camp with him one weekend in his quiet happy place. 

Good to have you back Gramps.  A forum is only as good as it's members, and we have the best.

Def

I knew there had to be a reason I was still allowed to be around here...

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 02:09:08 PM
Apology accepted and welcome back Gramps  :tu:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 02:15:47 PM
(...)
I tried to join another board and just forget MTO, but I believe a member from here gave them a heads up and I was banned from that board before I could even finish 24 hours as a member.
 (...)

I don't think that's what happened. We have MTo, we don't care about other forums...

8) 8)

Yeah,well not entirely?

What I did exactly was stumble across Grandpas intro over on another Forum that I am a long term member of where the Smurf may have been smeared about this Forum as an explanation of his new presence over there.

I thought about this for a little while before responding there that I thought he was wrong in his impression of the climate here and that maybe he should rethink his position about those of us on MTO that he maligned on the other Forum and evidently thought had wronged him too.

I have not been here as long as a lot of you but am pretty protective of this place regardless for the generally friendly and tolerant feelz here and I will not be shy or ignore it when this place gets an undeserved  bad report.

That is all.

I sure thought about linking his Rant about us over there in here but decided that since he had Rant & Run from here anyway I would just let it lie and did nothing else to spread the love/smurf.

Now I am not the only Member of both Forums for sure so I bet the expulsion just followed its own course there,this has not been the most subtle of posters at all.

So I am a proponent of Live and Let Lie as well and am thrilled if Gramps has had a change of heart too.

Carry  On.

Ed

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 03:38:05 PM
Nice to have you back Grandpa  :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 04:46:16 PM

In the early days we were actually considered to be a forum of misfits and castouts from other forums.  If you'd been banned from other forums you probably just ended up here as no one else would take you. 

Isn't that how Australia started to florish? :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 04:49:39 PM
We have less animals here that want to kill you....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 04:51:21 PM

In the early days we were actually considered to be a forum of misfits and castouts from other forums.  If you'd been banned from other forums you probably just ended up here as no one else would take you. 

Isn't that how Australia started to florish? :D

Nah, mate. I think it had something to do with the dream time and kangaroos?  :tu:

:D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 04:59:00 PM
Hey Gramps.  Glad you found your way back.   :salute:

Other forums?  What are these other forums I hear of from time to time  :think:

We are a wonderfully passionate group.  While the occasional rant happens, the occasional admonishment also happens.   We take care of our own and are passionate about each other and this community.  You are a valued member as are all members.  I'm glad you stepped away and got some perspective.  We are not required to agree to get along.  Like I said, we come from a wide a varied background.  I do believe we all are more similar and this place is a great example of celebrating that.  We come for the tools and gain a family. 

Any ways,  glad you are back.  Oh, and we do have a naughty step if you ever need to take a break and think about what you've done.  By all means send yourself there if needs be  :rofl:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68223.0.html
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 07:06:45 PM
Hey mate, as far as I'm concerned no apologies are needed, and I appreciate that you slept on it and came back.
I enjoy your straightforward writing style  :D and all members can and should contribute here in the way they naturally express themselves, within reason, to create the wealth of knowledge and variety we enjoy here. :salute:

As for other forums, I won't go into that as I've been or am in quite a few of them, and have been banned from one long ago.  :dunno:

Another odd and funny thing in that regard, is that whenever I mention or comment about this forum on other places I usually get a "hadn't heard of that place" or "What is this forum you mention?", so this little island is quite an unknown place in the wide sea that is the Internet,  ::) and I am happy for that because it makes it feel more special.  :dd:
I kid you not, this is my favorite forum and the place I enjoy the most, its members have no worthy comparison anywhere else!  :hatsoff:

Stick around and you'll see the truth in that last statement  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 08:22:52 PM
Well, I'm happy to see you back  :tu:.

After posting in your "rant-topic" I've been feeling like cr*p to be honest.  I'm not one who easily engages in a discussion online, especially in a nice place like this.  And I've been going over this in my head time and time again ... thinking about how I should've handled it ...

In my opinion no apology is necessary, maybe we both should just be a bit more aware of the cultural differences in topics like that before posting something we will regret later.

Anyway, good to have you back  :salute:.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 08:34:20 PM
I haven’t been around much but can assure you it’s all cool .  You’re amongst friends  :cheers:

We all disagree or it wouldn’t be much fun. But it’s what we all agree on that makes us special.
SAW

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 04:55:53 PM
(...)
 (...)

8) 8)

Yeah,well not entirely?

What I did exactly was stumble across Grandpas intro over on another Forum that I am a long term member of where the Smurf may have been smeared about this Forum as an explanation of his new presence over there.

I thought about this for a little while before responding there that I thought he was wrong in his impression of the climate here and that maybe he should rethink his position about those of us on MTO that he maligned on the other Forum and evidently thought had wronged him too.

I have not been here as long as a lot of you but am pretty protective of this place regardless for the generally friendly and tolerant feelz here and I will not be shy or ignore it when this place gets an undeserved  bad report.

That is all.

I sure thought about linking his Rant about us over there in here but decided that since he had Rant & Run from here anyway I would just let it lie and did nothing else to spread the love/smurf.

Now I am not the only Member of both Forums for sure so I bet the expulsion just followed its own course there,this has not been the most subtle of posters at all.

So I am a proponent of Live and Let Lie as well and am thrilled if Gramps has had a change of heart too.

Carry  On.

Ed

I was just trying (I do this a lot, instead of succeeding) to be funny. You know, like this is the only forum in the interwebs, there's no other forums... Sorry that didn't come out right.

:-\ :doh:

Just don't take what I say/write to seriously (I don't and it works fine for me).

:salute: :cheers:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 22, 2018, 05:51:13 PM
(...)
 (...)

8) 8)

Yeah,well not entirely?

That is all.

Carry  On.

Ed

I was just trying (I do this a lot, instead of succeeding) to be funny. You know, like this is the only forum in the interwebs, there's no other forums... Sorry that didn't come out right.

:-\ :doh:

Just don't take what I say/write to seriously (I don't and it works fine for me).

:salute: :cheers:

I was just getting out in front of this and any part that I played in it really.

As it turns out I had no actual part in it at all,I just spoke my own mind when I spotted further smurfing at this forums expense over on another site.

I am pretty happy that somehow I was able to stop myself before fanning any flames further honestly,it is a little out of character for me to be controlled that way?

Otherwise I just Plead & Drink the Fifth! (a distinctly usa reference I realize)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #27 on: November 23, 2018, 03:38:16 AM
Acknowledged and accepted.

And what are these other forums you speak of? :P Zombie Squad, Arfcom, Glock Talk, Equipped.org, EDC Forum, Blade Forums... yeah, all in my past. Because this place has a decided lack of chest beating and wally wagging. This is a more civilized place. Comparing MTO to most other forums is.... To honest, MTO isn't like any other forum I"ve lurked or participated in probably 20 years.

Most forums are like toxic reality shows, where it's people behaving badly, screwing each other over, creating extra drauma and being examples of why aliens DON"T land here on Earth after intercepting our TV broadcasts. But MTO isn't like that. We're here to learn from each other, as I"ve said.

Of course, any alien reading MTO either STILL wouldn't land on Earth because they are afraid of what we can do with a paperclip and a pocket tool. OR they'd land and quietly investigate. Probably with polls and silly comments.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #28 on: November 23, 2018, 05:04:58 AM
 :iagree:
Well put, ironraven!

If those aliens are lurking, then they are most certainly jealous of our gratuitous EDC photos, MT/SAK glamour shots, clever mods, and such.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 23, 2018, 07:17:32 AM
They may not just be lurking... :whistle:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00