Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I got to thinking about the tools I have....

Aloha · 35 · 1439

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
on: November 21, 2018, 07:08:00 PM
I'm not alone I know.  We spend quite a lot of time thinking about our tools.  Not or dedicated tools interestingly but our pocket tools.  Well, do you all think as much about your dedicated ones? 

About our pocket tool.  I have gone from carrying a lot "just in case" to what Cbl51 is now doing, more or less.  Simplification not necessarily simplifying  :think:.  Oh boy.   Ok let me try again. 

I began carrying my Wave with full bit kit plus an assortment of other things.  All well and good.  I then began a journey to streamline my pocket tools.  Simple straightforward tools.  I do like a few features but don't need every base to be covered on off days. 

What got me thinking was my Manger I recently got ( a second for me ) and a Case Sod Buster.  Those two tools could really do a lot.  Both relatively simple but not simplifying what I carry.  The knife is an honest tool and while cbl51 would call it a one trick pony its simple.  Adding in the Manager and you've got mini tools to handle all else.  I like a knife for stuff my SAK is not meant for.  I like a SAK for pretty much every thing else. 

While I am not saying I'm gonna carry the Case and Manager vs my mainstay of Squirt P4 and Salesman I do believe there is a place for simple tools. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: I got to thinking about the tools I have....
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 07:37:46 PM
My favorite carry lately has been my Pioneer X and a beat up Leatherman Crater. All I really need when out at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 08:19:49 PM
I sure do, my Tools are my Life or they are how I pay for my Life so yeah I am more than a little obsessed with every one of mine and am ALWAYS looking for a way I can be more efficient and safe using my tools.

Not sure this is really what you are talking about either but I wear pants that are for me a tool and that allow me to carry basic tools without intruding too much on life either way.

I carry a large pair of Diagonal Cutters and note taking stuff almost always in addition to my Skinth with basic MT based tools and lights along with a Knife and Lights in pockets as well almost all the time.

I mainly carry an MT as it really does contribute to my daily work while also really streamlining what I need to carry.
I moved to the Centerdrive a while back and so far for me having that Driver is so much handier than not having it that I have not worn the Spirit X based Skinth since getting the Gerber.

I also have vehicles crammed with "Real" tools that I use all the time but it is truly inspiring just how much I can get done when I need to with just what I always have with me anyway!

I pretty much never stop thinking about it truthfully,man do I need a life :dunno:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:21:45 PM by ezdog »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 01:29:52 AM
Little tweaks here and there but certainly a lot of thinking.  My real tools are stable.  I have the ones I need and sure I'd like more but it not something I think a lot about.  Its my pocket tools.  I guess its cause when I use my real tools I'm at home where they are.  If I use them away from home I bring what I need and thats that.  Away from home I think about the tools on my person.  Is my knife suitable.  Will my little squirt pliers do the job.  Are my 58mm scissor sufficient. 

Simple tools seem to work best for me.  Yes they are packed with features but theres nothing complicated. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 01:30:41 AM
My favorite carry lately has been my Pioneer X and a beat up Leatherman Crater. All I really need when out at work.

(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.  Simple knife does that job.  Pioneer X while packed with features, simple. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 01:33:31 AM
I sure do, my Tools are my Life or they are how I pay for my Life so yeah I am more than a little obsessed with every one of mine and am ALWAYS looking for a way I can be more efficient and safe using my tools.

Not sure this is really what you are talking about either but I wear pants that are for me a tool and that allow me to carry basic tools without intruding too much on life either way.

I carry a large pair of Diagonal Cutters and note taking stuff almost always in addition to my Skinth with basic MT based tools and lights along with a Knife and Lights in pockets as well almost all the time.

I mainly carry an MT as it really does contribute to my daily work while also really streamlining what I need to carry.
I moved to the Centerdrive a while back and so far for me having that Driver is so much handier than not having it that I have not worn the Spirit X based Skinth since getting the Gerber.

I also have vehicles crammed with "Real" tools that I use all the time but it is truly inspiring just how much I can get done when I need to with just what I always have with me anyway!

I pretty much never stop thinking about it truthfully,man do I need a life :dunno:

IF you earn your living with tools then for sure that makes complete sense.  Its the tools we carry for us and day to day non work needs/wants that we probably spend more time thinking about. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 01:37:52 AM
I think about my regular dedicated tools just as much :D

Being a bricklayer my tools let me be able to do my trade and am always on the lookout for advanced in masonry tools :cheers: and let me tell you  ::) masons are about as stubborn as they come when it comes to changes :D the old ways are the best ways kinda thinking :whistle: this was especially true when I was first starting gbto learn and coming up under older masons :ahhh but slowly some of the more forward minded mason (my father thankfully was and continues to be :cheers: ) we are using a bit more technology and some of the newer equipment coming out and it sure makes things easier :like: I can and have gone plenty of days without needing a power (read as battery operated) tool or layout laser or anything of that nature but when it is needed these advances make my job much easier :tu: saying that gets my point across a bit more precise that I think about my dedicated tools as mic if not more than the ones in my pocket :salute:

Great subject Aloha, as many of the threads you come up with are :salute: always has me thinking :D

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 01:47:29 AM

Being a bricklayer my tools let me be able to do my trade and am always on the lookout for advanced in masonry tools :cheers: and let me tell you  ::) masons are about as stubborn as they come when it comes to changes :D the old ways are the best ways kinda thinking :whistle: this was especially true when I was first starting gbto learn and coming up under older masons :ahhh but slowly some of the more forward minded mason (my father thankfully was and continues to be :cheers: ) we are using a bit more technology and some of the newer equipment coming out and it sure makes things easier :like: I can and have gone plenty of days without needing a power (read as battery operated) tool or layout laser or anything of that nature but when it is needed these advances make my job much easier :tu: saying that gets my point across a bit more precise that I think about my dedicated tools as mic if not more than the ones in my pocket :salute:

Great subject Aloha, as many of the threads you come up with are :salute: always has me thinking :D

Mason,Stubborn? :whistle:

Well I will take your word for it I guess.

This is the same thing I was trying to describe though,I do spend a lot of time thinking about all of the tools and like you I move deliberately to try to make sure that anything new makes at least some improvement in the way I work.

Almost nothing makes me more miserable than crappy tools especially if they seem nice before trying them.

It also amazes me how few people in the Trades seem to feel the same way and are stubborn and set in their ways despite obvious improvement that can be acheived pretty easily a lot of times.

I also take care of my tools and they seem to take care of me too. :multi:

And I dare you to try to borrow my Laser too!

Try to do this without one.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 02:01:49 AM by ezdog »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 01:53:07 AM
Good info Poncho.  I figured that certain trade just got by with tools they came up with.  Its great hearing in your trade you look to improve the quality of the tools you choose use.  Newer isn't always better but the tools our grandfathers used aren't either.  Somewhere there is a nice balance. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 02:24:39 AM
The basic mason's tools haven't changed design in a very long time (something along the lines of tradition :D ) but we have many things today that gives us such an advantage, DeWalt just came out with some 60 volt battery tools that amaze me :cheers: They have an angle grinder, hammer drill/chipping hammer that takes the bit bits and a 9 inch cutoff saw that will cut almost as good as a gas powered saw :ahhh Stihl has a great battery saw as well but the DeWalt edges them out I believe :o Hilti makes impact drivers and hammer drills that take SDS plus bits plus grinders and several other tools that just can't be beat :salute: and we have several different types of lasers at work (I am almost the only person that gets to touch the expensive ones :whistle: ) we use red and green lasers for shooting grade transferring height marks and general layout :cheers: We have one rotating green laser that has a remote that you can move either the green dot or line along a wall plus use it like a regualr rotating laser :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 02:29:46 AM
Also I am always looking on different websites on info of the latest and greatest layout and masonry tools :cheers: I use to get a monthly magazine that had lots of great info in it but I forgot to renew and just never renwed again ::) We also have PLS brand lasers, as well as DeWalt and small Hilti lasers  :tu: If I see something that I think might make us more productive I mention it and see if we can get it :tu: Also we have stainless tie makers that cut, bend, punch holes and twist stainless steel strapping, this has for sure made a big difference for us in our stone setting :cheers: We can create our own ties to match what we need for walls when factory made ties just won't do :salute:

Sorry to ramble but once I get going about masonry it's hard to stop :facepalm: :ahhh :D

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 02:47:47 AM

My dad was a mason all his life and mine growing up!  I can't tell you how many times I carried blocks, wheel barrels of brick's, setup chalk lines, mixed cement in an old small mixing trough's by hand, etc.!  I think he made that trough too!  You should see the tools he used throughout the years!  All old school trowel's, hammer's etc to split brick into halve's to use, etc.  Don't get me started on his old wooden set of level's! 

He was so picky that he build a barbecue in the back yard from white brick, it was so cool and had a smoker, etc. in it.  But he didn't like the way it turned out so he told my and my two brother's to knock it down with sledge hammer's and he built another one in its place! 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 02:52:22 AM
Ah yes my wooden levels :dd: I take great care of them and my two favorite brands of levels are Crick and Smith :like: I would love to see pics of some of the old tools :salute: I am picky as well and the really good masons always are ;) Sounds like we would have gotten along just fine :cheers: well as good as 2 old contankerous masons can get along :D

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 02:53:36 AM
Good info Poncho.  I figured that certain trade just got by with tools they came up with.  Its great hearing in your trade you look to improve the quality of the tools you choose use.  Newer isn't always better but the tools our grandfathers used aren't either.  Somewhere there is a nice balance.

Wait, were you a mod before or is this new?

If it's new, congrats!  :cheers:

If not, disregard  :facepalm: ;)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 03:03:24 AM

It's like totally new :D and is a bit shinier looking than mine :think: Congrats on the new mod powers buddy :like:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 03:05:52 AM

It's like totally new :D and is a bit shinier looking than mine :think: Congrats on the new mod powers buddy :like:

:like:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 03:39:55 AM
Yeah its all new ( takes out microfiber to shine badge just a bit more ).  Thanks. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 05:00:00 AM
Ah yes my wooden levels :dd: I take great care of them and my two favorite brands of levels are Crick and Smith :like: I would love to see pics of some of the old tools :salute: I am picky as well and the really good masons always are ;) Sounds like we would have gotten along just fine :cheers: well as good as 2 old contankerous masons can get along :D

He used to carry all his tools in the duffle bag size canvas bag with the leather handle.  I am sure you have seen the bag before.  He passed away 10 years ago at 86 years old and most of his tools I gave to other friends of his that were mason's or someone that I knew that got into it but I do still have a couple plus the levels here in the garage I believe.  I will try to get a pic or two something this weekend.

It was always amazing watching him carry bags of cement up the scaffolding on his shoulder's while having a 5 gallon bucket or two of cement mix in his hands!  Me being the scrawny kid that could only carry about a 1/3 bucket of cement mix.  lol

He always enjoyed sitting around with a beer and chatting with guys so yeah you probably would have gotten along just fine!  :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 05:03:22 AM by sir_mike »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 05:11:59 AM
Back to the subject on hand.

I have never been one that has carried alot of stuff on them.  I am usually blow away by folks whom have a pocket full of stuff like 3 knifes, 2 flashlights, etc plus a keychain that looks like its a tool box in itself.  For like 25-30 years I carried nothing but the small Tinker.  I usually carry just an Explorer but recently I am trying out my new EDC as a small light with house key and now a Rambler and the Rebar.  So far I gotta say this is a great combo but it is still more than I would need on a daily basis in my urban setting but I could see it as a nice minimal setup if out and about hiking or biking or whatever!

I don't do "what if's" and try to cover every single thing that could possibly happen when I am out but when I do something specific, I of course will plan for it and adjust to it.  Still minimalistic though and not pack everything/tool or kit I can think of!

Nothing beats the right tool for the right job so I am sure everyone has tools in their house.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 12:17:24 PM
Yeah its all new ( takes out microfiber to shine badge just a bit more ).  Thanks.

Congrats, bro! I think it's well deserved!

:hatsoff: :cheers: :tu: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 05:31:30 PM
 :hatsoff:  Thank you.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 05:33:42 PM

Congrats, bro! I think it's well deserved!

:hatsoff: :cheers: :tu: :salute:

:iagree:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 05:51:59 PM
Oooh, I just saw this. Congrats, Aloha!   :cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 06:03:47 PM
I thought something looked different.  ??? :D
Congrats on the mod-ness, Aloha!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 06:11:20 PM
Congrats Aloha :hatsoff:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 08:13:48 PM
 :salute: Thanks all.  I really appreciate it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #26 on: November 22, 2018, 09:25:44 PM

Congrat's brother!   :salute:

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #27 on: November 22, 2018, 11:11:06 PM

I don't work, as I am medically retired, but I completely agree with @ezdog when he mentions his vehicle crammed with real tools. I don't make a living off of my tools, but I do have a son and daughter who need help every now and then. They call me and I have to pull my tool bags out, load them up and head on down the road. Most of the time they (my kids) are like some stupid commercial about their vehicle making a stupid noise and they are trying to mimic the sound. No description of the issue, just a mimic of the noise. So I load all my tool bags as I don't know what I will be getting into. So yes, I do think about my 'regular' tools, especially when I'm in Home Depot or Lowe's shopping for something else or when I'm helping my kids and ask them to retrieve a certain tool from my bags. There are a lot of things that having the 'right tool' makes a difference in time, hassle, whatever. My SAK, LM-ST, LM-Surge, pocket exacto-blade, pocket knife and mini screwdriver just can't handle as well. The times that I am out-n-about I really appreciate having my EDC items, but if I can use a 'regular' tool, I will.
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

au Offline Valkie

Reply #28 on: November 23, 2018, 02:41:23 AM
Id like to see a doctor or medic who uses a multi tool.

That would be something :climber:
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 23, 2018, 03:10:15 AM
Id like to see a doctor or medic who uses a multi tool.

That would be something :climber:

In my area, I think I see more Raptors carried by EMS Rescue personnel more than any other MT.  I think Leatherman really had a hit with that crowd.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%