Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Hook!

WECSOG · 32 · 1381

us Offline WECSOG

The Hook!
on: November 22, 2018, 08:26:10 PM
Those words mean one thing to a fan of SAKs, and a totally different thing to us Jeep guys. Today, the twain met.

Good ol' Jeep soft tops: take it off for the weekend, spend all day Sunday struggling to put it back on!  :rant:
When I got my Deluxe Tinker, I wondered what that strange thing was on the back. Maybe a bird gutter? Nope, not sharp enough. My early Super Tinker didn't have one, so I couldn't figure it out. Then I read all about it here on MTO and realized how unsmart I was being.  :facepalm:  I mean, it is so obvious that I completely overlooked it. It's brilliant in its simplicity!  :tu:  I thought of all the different things I could use it for. Then I promptly forgot about it again.  :facepalm:

So today I was struggling to reinstall the rear window in my soft top Jeep. I just couldn't get enough of a grip on the zipper pull to coax it into closing.  Then I remembered The Hook! It worked!  :climber: 
Hook1.jpg
* Hook1.jpg (Filesize: 78.05 KB)
Hook2.jpg
* Hook2.jpg (Filesize: 54.11 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The Hook!
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 09:26:33 PM
Awarded.   :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 12:09:22 AM
Those words mean one thing to a fan of SAKs, and a totally different thing to us Jeep guys. Today, the twain met.

So today I was struggling to reinstall the rear window in my soft top Jeep. I just couldn't get enough of a grip on the zipper pull to coax it into closing.  Then I remembered The Hook! It worked!  :climber:

Great use of the hook WECSOG! :like: :tu: :tu:

Congratulations on the badge! :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 12:24:58 AM
Great use and congratulations on your award. :hatsoff:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 08:20:12 AM
LOVE the hook!
It also happens to be the tool that I uselessly play with mostly :P

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 10:23:18 AM
Thanks!  :salute:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 03:04:55 PM
Excellent use of the hook  :like: :tu:
Congratulations on your badge  :cheers:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 04:17:12 PM
Way to go!!
Barry

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 08:03:04 PM
Well done for making use of The Hook  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 09:43:29 PM
I tried it on my Jeep, didn’t work at all.........oh wait, I have a hard top, no wonder.   :rofl: :rofl:

I remember those zippers on the soft top, they can be a beast......good use of the hook.   :tu:

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 12:38:00 PM
Thanks guys!  :climber:

BR, I like your 8R stove avatar! I have an old 8R too. A Ukraine friend told me a copy of the 8R is popular where he lives. It is called the "Tourist." Their nickname for it is "Death of a tourist."  :rofl:
A man jumps out of an airplane, pulls the ripcord and his chute doesn't open. He meets another guy hurtling up towards him, and yells "Hey, do you know anything about parachutes?"  The other guy yells "No; do you know anything about Optimus stoves?"  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 03:14:33 PM
Thanks guys!  :climber:

BR, I like your 8R stove avatar! I have an old 8R too. A Ukraine friend told me a copy of the 8R is popular where he lives. It is called the "Tourist." Their nickname for it is "Death of a tourist."  :rofl:
A man jumps out of an airplane, pulls the ripcord and his chute doesn't open. He meets another guy hurtling up towards him, and yells "Hey, do you know anything about parachutes?"  The other guy yells "No; do you know anything about Optimus stoves?"  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 09:35:56 PM
Hi Wec,

Fan of Swiss Army Knives here, fan of Jeeps here. And yes, good use of the Hook. But (and no offense here) I hiss at the hook.

Like you, my 30 year old Super Tinker does not have the hook, but my 6 or 7 year old Tinker Deluxe does have it. I didn't keep the paperwork that came with it, but at the time I got it, I thought the hook an odd enough addition that I read the instructions and at the time it was referred to as the "parcel hook", ostensibly to carry string -tied packages.

I thought it strange that Vic was adding a tool in the year 2000's (actually 1991-ish) that hadn't had a use in the US since about the 1950's

To me it seems like anything the hook can be used for, some other tool on the knife can be used instead, or some other common everyday item can be used. In your case, a bootlace wrought through the zipper receiver and looped. I've been kind of a Grinch like that.

But even I have to admit, the growing uses for the hook never cease to amaze me. Nice one on ya!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 01:21:59 AM
Hi Wec,

Fan of Swiss Army Knives here, fan of Jeeps here. And yes, good use of the Hook. But (and no offense here) I hiss at the hook....

But even I have to admit, the growing uses for the hook never cease to amaze me. Nice one on ya!
I agree to a certain degree...XXX tool doesn’t really take up that much real estate, especially on the back so I can live with just about any XXX tool there. I may or may not use it, but some of the ways XXX tool is used, is inspiring and great thinking outside the box. Hopefully I will be able to use it to help others. If not, I can always tell them what XXX tool is and what it can do in addition.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 01:28:11 PM
The hook is pure genius IMO. I like flush backprings too but I really can't understand why some people hate the hook so passionately :shrug:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 02:26:10 PM
I like the hook  :like: :tu:
I just wish it wasn’t on the back of SAKs ???

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 03:50:26 AM
I like the hook. It took me awhile to warm up to it, though. As firiki said, it is pure genius. But its genius is in its simplicity. It looks too simple to actually be useful. In fact, when I found out it was just a hook instead of some esoteric supertool that would just bowl me over once I learned the secret handshake to have such wisdom imparted to me, I felt kinda' let down. In fact I wanted to cut it off my knife!  :facepalm:

But then I gradually started to learn of the subtlety of The Hook. And I realized, it really is an esoteric supertool! I mean, it will pull with 200 lbs of force if you're up to it! And it's attached to a perfect T-handle.
It's not like Karate, all in your face and jumping out at you everytime you look at it. It's Kung Fu. It's unassuming, innocuous, benign even. Until action is called for; then it gets the job done with such economy of motion that you don't see it coming until it's all over. And it doesn't give up its secrets easily, nor to the unworthy.  :climber:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 08:54:14 AM
I like the hook. It took me awhile to warm up to it, though. As firiki said, it is pure genius. But its genius is in its simplicity. It looks too simple to actually be useful. In fact, when I found out it was just a hook instead of some esoteric supertool that would just bowl me over once I learned the secret handshake to have such wisdom imparted to me, I felt kinda' let down. In fact I wanted to cut it off my knife!  :facepalm:

But then I gradually started to learn of the subtlety of The Hook. And I realized, it really is an esoteric supertool! I mean, it will pull with 200 lbs of force if you're up to it! And it's attached to a perfect T-handle.
It's not like Karate, all in your face and jumping out at you everytime you look at it. It's Kung Fu. It's unassuming, innocuous, benign even. Until action is called for; then it gets the job done with such economy of motion that you don't see it coming until it's all over. And it doesn't give up its secrets easily, nor to the unworthy.  :climber:

What a great and "poetic" post...  :like:  :hatsoff:

I was always a bit ambiguous regarding the hook... But i like it, and it's there when needed, only adds a couple of extra grams to the sak, and may get you out of a jam....

:climber:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 10:08:10 AM

I love this!!  :hatsoff:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 11:11:49 AM

Great observation WECSOG ! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 02:51:01 PM
 :hatsoff:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 02:54:29 PM by WECSOG »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 04:07:23 PM

I love this!!  :hatsoff:

Well said!

:cheers: :salute:

Show content

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 06:42:37 PM
Ya know, part of the key to understanding the Hook is to consider another deceptively simple multi-tool: paracord. Like paracord, the Hook is far more useful than it would seem at a glance. And, paracord and the Hook go hand in hand as if they were made for each other. In fact, I think that whoever came up with the idea of the Hook was thinking about paracord.  :salute:

Once I understood that, I began to "get" the Hook.  :woohoo:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 09:09:36 PM
Ya know, part of the key to understanding the Hook is to consider another deceptively simple multi-tool: paracord. Like paracord, the Hook is far more useful than it would seem at a glance. And, paracord and the Hook go hand in hand as if they were made for each other. In fact, I think that whoever came up with the idea of the Hook was thinking about paracord.  :salute:

Your mention of the hook and paracord reminded of this post I made
on January 26, 2017:

"I work part time at a restaurant and put away truck deliveries
early in the morning.
  One day the delivery driver knocked on the back door to be let
in and I asked him if he lost his key. He said he had just dropped
the key ring down a steel grate by the curb outside.
  I could see the key ring about 3 feet below the grate.
  I told him I could get the keys.  I opened the hook on my Super
Tinker and made a loop in some paracord and cinched the cord
around the Super Tinker and lowered it through the grate. It took
about 2 minutes for me to finally get the hook to catch the keyring
and pull it up out of the hole.
   The driver really appreciated it because he was dreading telling
his supervisor he had dropped the keys down a grate."
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:12:37 PM by VICMAN »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 09:10:56 PM
Nice one VICMAN  :like: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 09:13:06 PM
 :iagree: yeah!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 09:13:17 PM

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 09:14:08 PM

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 10:29:41 PM

on January 26, 2017:

early in the morning.

I remember you telling that story, that's what i call a real genuine "Macgyver-ism"  :hatsoff:

Actually Macgyver did a similar thing once, to rescue himself and Pete from a trap set by Murdoc... But since there was no hook back then, he used the can opener as a hook to defuse the trap, warped with a cord from his jacket...

:D

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #29 on: November 29, 2018, 02:22:42 AM

on January 26, 2017:

early in the morning.

Nice!  :tu: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!