Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fake MP600 from Amazon?

Offline gil2979

Fake MP600 from Amazon?
on: October 31, 2018, 11:44:38 PM
bought the MP600 basic from Amazon and I noticed it has a few odd things. 

First of all, it doesn't have USA stamped on it, also one of the washers is oddly thicker, pliers shape on the side really looks like on the fake E.D.T topic, and overall the tool feels a little wobbly, which I wouldn't have minded if not the tools themselves wobbled while in locked position. 

Overall it's great, I just want to make sure it's genuine.

Some pics:
https://ibb.co/iEKt00
https://ibb.co/iMG1nf
https://ibb.co/dEA5DL
https://ibb.co/hnCVf0
https://ibb.co/fRBO00

Sorry for posting links instead of direct pictures but it didn't work

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Re: Fake MP600 from Amazon?
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 12:09:33 AM
You are safe. Its a authentic Gerber Mp600.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 12:39:22 AM
Sorry for posting links instead of direct pictures but it didn't work

Next time try the bbcode link, it's two below the image link that you used.

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 12:39:44 AM

Added pics for you  :tu:
Looks good to me, at least it's not got carbide cutters :multi:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 02:18:20 AM
Yeah, Gerber got the ole' kick in the butt about putting USA on their tools when they are assembled here with a majority of overseas parts. The Center-Drive is their only multi tool currently manufactured/assembled almost completely here in te U.S. :)

The new stamping does look nicer than the old stamping though. :woohoo:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 03:28:37 AM
Yeah, Gerber got the ole' kick in the butt about putting USA on their tools when they are assembled here with a majority of overseas parts. The Center-Drive is their only multi tool currently manufactured/assembled almost completely here in te U.S. :)

The new stamping does look nicer than the old stamping though. :woohoo:

+1000 to what GLBM said. The new stamping is gorgeous. But I cannot understand the consistency behind it. Some older MPs with without the carbide carries the nice insignia. And the supposingly newer ones current gen with carbide cutters are just stamped GERBER..  :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 03:58:58 AM
 :iagree:
I think Gerber just throws whatever excess parts together sometimes to use up stock. Hodgepodge. :facepalm:

Heck, the stamping quality varies greatly on tool models sometimes. :dunno:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 02:20:37 PM
Not to get political, yesterday, to replace a cheap supermarket plastic snow shovel broken in storage, I bought a True Temper coal shovel (because they're the only snow shovel that stands up to heavy snow and heavy abuse)--marked "ASSEMBLED IN USA" complete with a red, white and blue sticker.   Stamped on the actual shovel part--MADE IN CHINA. To me, don't even bother mentioning the term USA, unless at least 70 percent of its parts come from here. Surprised we haven't changed the law from the 30% or something it currently is to be marked "MADE IN USA".

This is the newest version of the MP600 frame, replacing the old version used about 20 years.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:00:07 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 02:56:19 PM
Huh, this is the first time I've seen the new stamping... I like it  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 08:41:49 PM
Not to get political, yesterday, to replace a cheap supermarket plastic snow shovel broken in storage, I bought a True Temper coal shovel (because they're the only snow shovel that stands up to heavy snow and heavy abuse)--marked "ASSEMBLED IN USA" complete with a red, white and blue sticker.   Stamped on the actual shovel part--MADE IN CHINA. To me, don't even bother mentioning the term USA, unless at least 70 percent of its parts come from here. Surprised we haven't changed the law from the 30% or something it currently is to be marked "MADE IN USA".

This is the newest version of the MP600 frame, replacing the old version used about 20 years.
Yes! No worries, because it isn't political. It is just misleading corporate tactics brought on hy shear greed.
It's a huge problem. It's even being done in Europe. There was a big scandal with Swiss watch companies putting 'Swiss Made' on movements, when 49% of parts were made in China. It is a wide spread problem and I hope it gets sorted soon.
Leatherman got hit really hard with penalties back in the early 2000s(California sued them for misrepresentation), resulting in removal of U.S.A from the tools. They had plier heads cast in Mexico and then machined in Oregon. I wish every company would get exposed for just assembling, but marking made. At least we are seeing more 'assembled in U.S.A' now, when it's not  really produced in the U.S.A.

Offline mtoolman

Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 10:52:35 AM
Exactly same one as mine. Yeah, it is not fake, I am sure.  Just new stamping.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 02:17:43 PM
To me this raises an important question, do fake standard (non-DET) MP600s exist? There are the Carolina KNife and Tool and Winchester "Mr. Pinchy" tools, but those are pretty much just low end budget models using the same patents (and Gerber owns Carolina Knife and Tool, and Carolina has the Winchester license)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 02:35:01 PM
To me this raises an important question, do fake standard (non-DET) MP600s exist? There are the Carolina KNife and Tool and Winchester "Mr. Pinchy" tools, but those are pretty much just low end budget models using the same patents (and Gerber owns Carolina Knife and Tool, and Carolina has the Winchester license)

Have never seen one or heard of one. It's always the Det model that fake. Strange that they chose this particular one...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 02:44:24 PM
Sam,
Remember when the Gerber MP600DET was selling for stupid high money? Around $80-$100 at one point(I see them for $50-$80 now). That is about when the fakes came along. I don't think it would make sense to fake a regular MP600, since those are $30-$45 usually. I've seen the Basics go for $34.99 near where I like.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 04:17:10 PM
Sam,
Remember when the Gerber MP600DET was selling for stupid high money? Around $80-$100 at one point(I see them for $50-$80 now). That is about when the fakes came along. I don't think it would make sense to fake a regular MP600, since those are $30-$45 usually. I've seen the Basics go for $34.99 near where I like.

I am rather late to this MT orgy.. When I first seen the fake ones, they are already like around $15usd from where I am.. The basics from here they are selling at around $70usd now in retail stores.....

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 07:07:21 AM
Seventy clams for a Basic MP600? Seems like highway robbery.  :ahhh Still better than paying $15 for those horrible fakes. I actually regret buying two of them (one for myself and one for Lynn to review). :facepalm:
I put real MP pliers in mine for a while, but then believed that to be disrespectful of the MP line and put the misaligned crap-jaws back in. :rofl:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 08:53:07 PM

Made in the USA and assembled in the USA are not the same thing. Like somebody else mentioned, this is misleading. With that being said, I thought the 600 line was USA made! :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%