Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Retro gaming mini consoles.

Chako · 45 · 1674

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Retro gaming mini consoles.
on: November 25, 2018, 03:42:08 AM
As most folks know, it was black Friday yesterday. I noticed something that got my attention in one of the fliers I tend to get on Wednesday, and I decided to get one from Walmart yesterday after work. Of course by the time I got to the larger Walmart up on the hill, they were out of the item. I decided to see if the downtown Walmart had any...it was a long shot. When I got there, with zero expectations, I found my item...and two more like minded items in their electronics department. I was surprised they had plenty in stock. I guess the downtown Walmart is not as popular as the larger location.

Once I got my goodies back home, I figured out quickly that I didn't have much of a suitable TV display for them. Once again I braved the local Walmart only to find that any TV that was on sale of a smallish size, was long sold out Friday morning while I was at work. I went to the downtown pawn shop and found a nice little TV for not much cash. It had all the hookups and the price was good enough for me. Problem solved.

When I got home, I set the TV on a TV stand and started to take out the various items I purchased today to try them out.

The original item that caught my attention was a C64 mini gaming system with 64 games built in. Now, back in the day, I had a few Commodore 64s and even a 128. Looking at the game list sure brought back a few long buried memories.

Taking the small unit out of the box was quite the experience. They got most of the details right, except for some front graphics on the non-functional keyboard...and if memory serves me right, mine was of a different shade. The joystick was also familiar, except this one has a few buttons that allow you to sit down and control the built in menu without having to get up to touch the unit.

Turning the unit on sure was a flash from the past, not to mention the tiny C64 appears to be more charming than the larger original. Interstingly enough, if you attach a USB keyboard, you can also have access to the C64 Basic programming language.

If you want to learn more about this product and the games that come with it, here is their website:

https://retrogames.biz/

Sitting next to the little C64 was an Atari 2600 game machine from Flashback. This one being their 9th edition. Another smallish retro gaming machine much like the above C64, but this one looks like a tiny Atari gaming system with 110 built in games.

The joystick does a fair job of looking like the real thing except the old ones were stiff as hell and hard to use. Likewise, this one has one joystick with a bunch of non-standard buttons that allow you to control the mini console from your seat. The second joystick does not have these buttons.

The cool thing with this is there is an included SD port, which means if you have the time and don't mind the effort, you could port other games to the unit. I found one review where the gent stated you could theoretically have the whole Atari 2600 game library on the unit via that SD card port. One thing I will note, the menu interface on this one is not as fine of resolution as that of the C64. Furthermore, the interface is a bit clunky to use.

Here is the game list:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2060/0897/files/ATARI_FLASHBACK_9_GAME_LIST.pdf?5060523432473616858

The third thing I also got was a SEGA Genesis Classic mini console from Flashback. This unit apparently will accept SEGA Genesis cartridges of which I own 0. In fact, I never owned a SEGA Genesis machine, being mostly on computers during those days. The console comes with 2 joypads.

This console comes with 80 titles built in. Unfortunately, this unit doesn't have any special buttons on the controlers, meaning I had to reset the games to access the menu via a button on the console itself.

Much like the Atari unit produced by the same company...Atgames...the interface resolution is low resolution and the menu interface is a bit awkward.

Last but not least, I still have my little CoolBaby third party console based on Nintendo. I missed the original and could only find this packed with over 600 tittles, many of which are weird hacked versions of games. Still amusing and well worth the price I paid for it, which wasn't much.

There are 6 main menus. The one illustrated below are those for Mario Brother games. The last sub-menu contain 575ish games in one super large section. Finding your game in this is very bothersome and time consuming.

There is something to be said about retro gaming. My generation grew up on home computers. Many of the titles in the Atari and C64 consoles did bring back a lot of good memories.  :hatsoff:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 04:09:59 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Retro gaming mini consoles.
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 03:54:14 AM
Some very cool retro gaming you have going on Chako :tu: I would like to get one of the Sega systems and the Nintendo one as well :dd: but any of those would still tick the boxes off for me :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 04:05:29 AM
I hear you. Oddly enough, these little systems aren't that much. They are well worth the purchase.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 04:11:35 AM
I hear you. Oddly enough, these little systems aren't that much. They are well worth the purchase.

:tu: :like: :like:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 11:58:50 AM
Those are pretty neat, I saw the Sega system in a shop window here.

does it actually take the cartridges or is it just for looks...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 12:10:50 PM
I guess it will actually take the cartridges..but I do not have any...so can't verify. What I can tell you, the two trap doors do open, and there is a female cartridge slot inside.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 12:33:02 PM
I think my sister may have my old sega still, and the games I had.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 02:35:44 AM
I just bought Ecco the Dolphin cartridge and it works like a charm.  :tu:

I also purchased the official Super NES mini system off of Amazon.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 02:39:44 AM by Chako »

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 08:21:56 AM
Very cool stuff, never knew these modernized "reproductions" existed! Thanks for sharing!
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 12:17:40 PM
Yes, Nintendo was the first with their NES Classic mini...now it looks like everyone is jumping into these lately. I just read that there will be a Playstation mini with 20 built in games coming out December 3rd of this year.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 01:02:33 PM
It would appear that I am now collecting these units. I still do not have the original NES mini...as I couldn't find one when they first came out. I did however find a CoolBaby game system that sort of looks like the NES mini. That system has been a real hoot, but I might be looking for the NES classic sometime down the road. Here is a review of the CoolBaby game system...weird games and all.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 01:22:22 PM
Here is a review of the C64 mini.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 02:51:29 PM
the Sega Genesis and Atari flashbacks predate the NES mini, but they are not of the same quality, and are fun, but not as accurate concerning input lag, or controller drift.

I have the Genesis one, it is OK.

I have the NES classic and the SNES classic, and they are amazing.  well designed, save states work excellent, and even provide 4 save states per game, allowing others to plan and not overwrite your progress.

the C64 classic has new firmware on their site that also allows adding other games. 
If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 01:23:34 AM
That makes sense. I take it that the Atari is in version 9. I assumed the NES classic was the first because it was the first I had heard about.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 05:17:04 PM
I have to wonder sometimes...

I was at the local Walmart on "Black Friday" and bought a few mini game systems for a good deal. I had always wanted a Nintendo mini when I couldn't find them last year. I went onto Amazon last night and bought a SNES mini system for retail price...and almost bought the NES mini for retail as well but decided I would like to see what the SNES system would be like once it comes in. Then this morning, I decided to buy the NES mini online....but by then, they had sold out. Plenty of folks asking for more for these systems online. I was a bit dejected.

later this morning, I had to go back to Walmart. I couldn't believe my eyes. They had a few of each in stock! I bought both of them and will gift the other when it comes in to a close friend. :facepalm:

I think the CoolBaby will get very little use in the future.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 12:08:11 AM
I wonder if someone will come out with an Amiga Mini? I would be all over that like a fat kid on a smarty...

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 02:02:38 PM
I have not tried the newest additions yet. Still febating on if I should wsit till my holiday.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 02:05:31 PM
Tried the SNES system. It is a winner.

Just pulled the trigger on a Pandora's Key 7 with 2177 games.

Here is the best review I could find on the item. The one I ordered comes with a different graphic on the deck.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 05:50:40 PM
Just got myself a Playstation mini. Photos later.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 06:11:05 PM
I have to say...these little retro consoles are a blast. When these were popular...I was mostly on computers. Most of these games are new to me. Hard to pass these up for the price.

Here is my computer/game box list as far as memory goes for the 70s, 80s, and mid 90s.

1. Pong tv box.
2. Atari 800.
3. Timex Sinclair 1000.
4. Atari 130 XE.
5. Commodore 64.
6. Commodore 128.
7. Amiga 500.
8. Amiga 2000.
9. Amiga CD32.

:think:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:12:39 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 11:46:09 PM
First photos.

us Offline detron

Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 12:18:55 AM
I have to wonder sometimes...

I was at the local Walmart on "Black Friday" and bought a few mini game systems for a good deal. I had always wanted a Nintendo mini when I couldn't find them last year. I went onto Amazon last night and bought a SNES mini system for retail price...and almost bought the NES mini for retail as well but decided I would like to see what the SNES system would be like once it comes in. Then this morning, I decided to buy the NES mini online....but by then, they had sold out. Plenty of folks asking for more for these systems online. I was a bit dejected.

later this morning, I had to go back to Walmart. I couldn't believe my eyes. They had a few of each in stock! I bought both of them and will gift the other when it comes in to a close friend. :facepalm:

I think the CoolBaby will get very little use in the future.

these two are excellent systems!  yes, the NES controller cords are short, but you can buy extension cables online.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 12:52:28 AM
I agree. I knew going in that there was a bit of negativity with the PlayStation Classic Mini...but even still, I know it would cost me a lot more to get an original and each game that comes with it. Still think these would all look good on a shelf.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 01:11:11 AM
Playing those Atari games sure rammed home how bad the graphics were back in the day, especially in light of what we have now.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 01:17:36 AM
and yet with some of the advanced graphics and sound we have now, some of the older games had a better overall feeling

us Offline detron

Reply #25 on: December 09, 2018, 01:28:18 AM
and yet with some of the advanced graphics and sound we have now, some of the older games had a better overall feeling

to me there is not a linear progression as to how games age.

Zelda a Link to the Past, seems to still look great!
Final Fantasy 7  looks insanely crazy to me, even though it was newer

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: December 09, 2018, 01:32:08 AM
I seem to recall Pitfall looking a whole lot better in my youth.  :D

The SNES is just darn cute.

The menu system on the Nintendo units along with that of the C64 makes a huge difference.

I just opened the latest addition, the PlayStation Classic Mini. Just as adorable as the others...but man...why did they have to go nuts with the packaging. This is one system that will be a PITA to put back in the box for storage later.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: December 09, 2018, 01:51:30 AM
Whoey, the games on the Timex Sinclair 1000 were absolutely primal...and that was after waiting forever for the cassette tape deck to spool up.  :ahhh

I found a video of a game I used to play on the Sinclair 1000.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: December 09, 2018, 12:11:06 PM
I have some long-lasting memories of playing Below the Root on C64 for way more hours than I care to admit.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 01:00:31 PM
That looks like a cool game. Can't say I have played that one before. I do remember playing a lot of Uridium and Paradroid.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69