Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Coast Micro Pliers; help needed with wire cutter

Offline kasow

• New User
Coast Micro Pliers; help needed with wire cutter
on: November 27, 2018, 02:56:45 AM
Hi folks!

I recently acquired a small multitool on Fleabay; it's a Coast Micro-Pliers.

The two tools I don't know how to use are extended in the attached photo; to the right is a flat piece of metal with a vee notch cut in it. No taper or sharpening. To the left is a small D shape with a hole and a side notch; it is thinner towards the end with the hole.

The review I saw that prompted me to buy this was in _The Complete Walker IV_ by Fletcher and Rawlins. It's copyright 2002, and says the tool includes a wire stripper (also good for prying things open) and a wire cutter. The prying line makes me think the flat D with the tapering towards the far end is supposed to be the stripper. But I have no idea how to use the V notch part as a wire cutter.

Thanks,
Steven
coastmicropliers.jpg
* coastmicropliers.jpg (Filesize: 67.88 KB)

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Coast Micro Pliers; help needed with wire cutter
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 03:19:00 AM
Welcome to MT.o! :multi:

Most of the time on the budget multitools, the tool descriptions are more optimistic than the tool itself. It will need to be sharpened with a file to be able to strip wire.
Especially in the early 2000s, budget MT makers were sometimes deceptive about the real-world function of an MT.

Hope that helps, and again, welcome aboard MT.o. :tu:

Edit: that looks like a golf tee tool, but who knows? Maybe someone else is familiar with that tool?  :dunno:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:20:49 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 03:33:54 AM
I'd like a better picture of the first tool, but the "small D shape with a hole and a side notch" is just an attachment point for a small split ring.
- Steve

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 03:37:25 AM
Now I see the tool with the V notch (on the "other" right).  Not sure what it is.  I also see that there is a split ring mounted on that side, so I'm not so sure about my answer to the other tool.
 :facepalm:
- Steve

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 05:26:27 AM
Now I see the tool with the V notch (on the "other" right).  Not sure what it is.  I also see that there is a split ring mounted on that side, so I'm not so sure about my answer to the other tool.
 :facepalm:

That of course is the elusive bubble wand tool. Available on few selected tools...  :pok:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 05:48:25 AM
 :rofl:
Gotta love it when a company just labels some random thing on a tool when they have never even looked at the thing in person. As far as I can tell, there is no legitimate way to 'cut wire'(aside from the scissors or damaging the blade), but sharpening the inside of the prong thing might give you a wire stripper.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%