Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool Maintenance Day

il Offline israelpiper

Multitool Maintenance Day
on: November 06, 2019, 12:21:22 PM
 MULTITOOL MAINTENANCE DAY

Of those that see regular useage, my experience of many years says that Victorinox requires the least maintenance. I have not had any lock-up problems or looseness with my 20+ year old SwissTool. As much as many complain about Victorinox using pins, and not screws, it is precisely the adjustable multitools and knives with which I have had the problems. Get rid of blade play, and the knife is too tight. The other complain about pin construction is that cleaning is difficult. I put my SwissTool into warm, soapy water, working a few joints gently. I let it sit for an hour or so. I rinse. I blow-dry it. Squirt with WD40.  Voilà!  It may be that some complicated locking and opening mechanisms can accumulate dust, dirt or other detritus, and must be opened. I prefer the clever low-tech of Victorinox wash & wear design.

I also strop more than sharpen with a "system." I have seen too many flea-market multitool knives with narrowed, overly sharpened blades. Not that serious knife people take a blade to a grinding wheel for regular sharpening (unless they have a wheel designed for gentle fine edge maintenance--but of this I am totally without experience).

Worst ravages? A few of the files can be quite discoloured by the sea, or anywhere. I always keep them slightly coated. 

I have used the overpriced light oils. Back to cheap all-purpose corner hardware store oil. And WD40.  One knife my wife borrows for cleaning fish (Victorinox Solo /red nylon scales) gets olive or avocado oil. Me, I like a hint of WD40 in my food. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:27:38 PM by israelpiper »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Multitool Maintenance Day
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 01:18:59 PM
Not thats a nice collection of MTs you have there!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 01:49:18 PM
Mineral oil is food safe, and very cheap. Also doesn't decompose.  I buy the kind they sell over the counter as a laxative.

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 02:01:17 PM
Mineral oil is food safe, and very cheap. Also doesn't decompose.  I buy the kind they sell over the counter as a laxative.

Dual-purpose oil. Could be useful on a long camping trip!

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 02:32:00 AM
I am big on knife maintenance. Those getting used and carried on a regular basis need some TLC from time to time. My Huntsman sees the most carry and on occasion I like to scrub it thoroughly with warm soapy water and a soft bristled toothbrush. After rinsing in hot water, I dry it and shake it out as much as possible and I place it on a counter in the house that has a vent blowing on it. Once dry, I oil the joints (usually with foodsafe Inox) and use a pipe cleaner to lightly oil all the metal surfaces. Wipe it dry and it is ready to carry again.

Over the years I have seen some knives that never get cleaned and some of the blades cannot even be opened. One night I was going through my ritual with a few of the knives in my carry rotation and a buddy said, "that is why your knives will last forever." Yep, that is the goal.

Another advantage is that I find it kind of methodical and relaxing. If anyone here is a sword person (real hand forged swords, not stainless late-night fantasy swords) then you know that regular maintenance is very important. Being able to maintain a forged blade with a mirror finish and no swirl marks is a point of pride with swordsmen and collectors.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 03:38:19 AM
You should try an ultrasonic cleaner. I find it does wonders for hard to get spots.

Nice collection you have there.  :hatsoff:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 06:13:30 AM
I also like to spend time and maintain my users.  Several times a year I check on my tools that are purely for the collection.  I use WD40 on my user MTs then add a few drops of 3in1 oil to the pivots.  My user SAKs get washed and sit in the sun to dry then mineral oil.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD