Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Perfection Is A Lie: SAK Tool Combinations

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Perfection Is A Lie: SAK Tool Combinations
on: November 29, 2018, 07:50:10 AM
Please enjoy this nerdy and perhaps selfish wishlist of the exact tools for different size SAK's that I've been working on ;-)

I gather there are others here that have similar lists? :P

So... perfection is a filthy lie! Centurion, Explorer, One Handed Trekker, S557, Cybertool 29 and many others come close, but noooooo!

One reading note: It's always good to have more tools in the given length and layer combination; it's not to dismiss tools like our beloved hook!

Two Layer (85/91mm):
Main Tools> Lock blade; nail file/cleaner; bottle opener/screwdriver; can opener/screwdriver
Back Tools> Phillips Head Screwdriver; awl.
Scale Tools> Tweezers; toothpick; pen.

Two Layer (111/130mm):
Main Tools> One handed opening lock blade; bottle opener/screwdriver; can opener/screwdriver
Back Tools> Phillips Head Screwdriver; awl.

Three Layer (85/91mm):
Main Tools> Lock blade; nail file/cleaner; bottle opener/screwdriver; can opener/screwdriver; scissors
Back Tools> Phillips Head screwdriver; awl.

Three Layer (111/130mm):
Main Tools> One handed opening lock blade; lock bottle opener/screwdriver; can opener/screwdriver; scissors; Phillips Head screwdriver
Back Tools> Corkscrew with mini screwdriver; awl.

Four Layer (85/91mm):
Main Tools> Lock blade; nail file/cleaner, bottle opener/screwdriver; can opener/screwdriver; scissors; Phillips Head screwdriver; magnifying glass OR LED light

Five Layer (85/91mm):
Main Tools> Lock blade; nail file/cleaner, bottle opener/screwdriver; can opener/screwdriver; scissors; Phillips Head screwdriver; magnifying glass OR LED light; bit driver with bit carrier

I max out here as it hits 'too big for pocket EDC carry' :-)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Perfection Is A Lie: SAK Tool Combinations
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 12:32:03 PM
:worthless:

:popcorn:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 02:54:04 PM
 That's why I like combos. Combining something with tools that I want large and strong with something small maximizes the tools I can carry by saving space on tools that don't have to be full size. A good example of this is the scissors. If all I need is a 65 or 58mm  scissors then why would I need it as a layer on a larger SAK? So a Trekker and a Rambler instead of an Outrider or a Bantom and a Pocket tool chest instead of a Climber. It really does save space and weight.
IMG_20181129_054757.jpg
* IMG_20181129_054757.jpg (Filesize: 175.15 KB)
IMG_20181023_095243.jpg
* IMG_20181023_095243.jpg (Filesize: 231.99 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 04:06:49 PM
 :iagree:

Having back-up blades is a great side benefit of combos as well.
- Terry

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 06:50:10 PM
That's why I like combos. Combining something with tools that I want large and strong with something small maximizes the tools I can carry by saving space on tools that don't have to be full size. A good example of this is the scissors. If all I need is a 65 or 58mm  scissors then why would I need it as a layer on a larger SAK? So a Trekker and a Rambler instead of an Outrider or a Bantom and a Pocket tool chest instead of a Climber. It really does save space and weight.

I agree with this. 58mm or 65mm scissors do the trick for me and save a thick layer on a 91mm. I carried an Explorer mod (saw instead of scissors) for a good while because I really need a good phillips with some reach and liked having the magnifier. But I've evolved to carry a fresnel lens in my wallet and a screw key on my keychain.

Also, the PTC ROCKS :tu:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 06:28:03 PM

Although I carry a smooth alox Classic in my wallet, I prefer to carry a single tool with just what I need (as much as possible),
so Pioneer X or Super Tinker for me.

Also, the PTC ROCKS :tu:
Could not agree more.
combo - 1.jpg
* combo - 1.jpg (Filesize: 110.73 KB)
- Steve

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 01:47:30 AM
Hence why some enthusiasts roll their own. ;)

Personally, I'm satisfied with factory models on the whole. I would like to see the 93mm awl incorporated into 91mm and 111mm. I'm fairly sure it can fit comfortably in place of the small blade on the 91mm frame.

I agree about the Centurion. Although I can open its blade easily with one hand, I'm certain a OHO non-serrated new Adventurer (the Centurion's successor) would be well received by others.

Another model I'm surprised doesn't exist (yet?) is the Explorer Lite. Makes more sense to me than a Spartan Lite, as well as being an alternative to the Huntsman Lite for those who don't want the saw.

I like combos, too. The scissors, small blade, and scale tools (and more if you like!) of the 58mm models make them a great companion to 93mm alox knives in particular. Rambler+alox Soldier makes a potent, pocketable pair for me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:52:41 AM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44