Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Keyholder for the belt

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Keyholder for the belt
on: June 29, 2019, 09:10:50 AM
I usually have my homekey in my front left pocket and my carkeys in my vest but sometimes in the summer I just want a t-shirt and don't want a big bulk in my pocket so I made this as a test to see how it would work on the belt

It's working surprisingly well and I don't sound like a janitor walking around. This is a simple version with the stitches in the front and just one layer of leather.. My friend saw it and wanted one too but with a carabiner so I decided to give it a go.. This time the stitches are in the back and dual layers of leather.. Didn't turn out as well as I wanted but it does work nice and I might do one for myself as well. He saw the pic yesterday and was happy. I will meet him later today and give it to him to see what he thinks of it

I'm still learning about leather and are absolutely not a professional but as long as it does the job I'm happy and it let's my try new techniques

Just wanted to share and if anyone has any tips they are welcome to share

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Keyholder for the belt
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 02:57:10 PM
Looks good! I use something similar, but I made it longer, so the keys are kind of suspended in my pocket. That way they don‘t jingle, don‘t poke the pockets and if the carabiner should fail, I won‘t loose them.

It works surprisingly well for SAKS too. I always carry my Handyman that way, and it feels almost weightless  :tu:

A tip for leatherworking: Try to burnish your edges. That will make it look better and more professionell. I have a really good website tutorial for leatherworking somewhere, but cannot find it right now  :facepalm: Here is a link about burnishing I found doing a quick search: https://www.goldbarkleather.com/sourceblog/2015/12/29/a-basic-guide-to-burnishing

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 06:36:29 PM
Nice job, I did something similar a while back, I just needed two clips and wanted to be able to take it off without having to take the belt off,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 07:48:11 PM
Nice work with the clips!

And the edges on my belt hangers are actually burnished but I didn't do the sanding as good as I should. And I forgot to do it in the belt holes on the second one

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 08:09:04 PM
Oh totally, I’m not great at leather, I’ve been at it for like 10yrs but just little things here and there,
As far as the edging, they make a tool to take that edge off, but to also get a nice smooth edge, get a round piece of wood, like a dowel and put it in a drill, sand the wood smooth and make a little groove, then pull the trigger, take that leather and run it through that groove while it’s turning, makes the edge much more smooth.
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 08:36:22 PM
Thanks for the tips guys

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 08:42:52 PM
Did a third version, put the d-ring lower and with a loop that goes in between the two layers and did it more narrow.. Just put it on my belt and it sits perfect.. Did a better with the edges this time but I still have some training to do..

The upper one are the original prototype and the lower one are my second (third) attempt

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 09:33:45 PM
Third times a charm!
Looks good!
JR

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 10:03:56 PM
How about the first version but upside-down? Closer to a pocket.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 04:54:50 AM
That's true, but don't know if I want it that low.. Might try next time

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30