Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Deluxe Tinker

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Deluxe Tinker
on: April 23, 2020, 08:12:37 PM
OK folks, convince me I need a Deluxe Tinker.  I have been messing with model trains a lot lately, and while my CT34 is kind of the same thing plus CT layer, I'm just not really seeing a need for that specific layer; as few of the bits are really any good on older stuff. Plus, ditching that layer saves me width and weight.

The pliers, so far, on what little work I've done on badly damaged Marklin M-Track, have proven very useful. The cutters are just what I need for the small gauge wire Marklin uses. Blades and scissors are "Well, Duh" SAK tools to me. Can opener SD is just the right size for the screw holding on the shell of the locomotive. I have used the bottle opener as a pry working with the messed up track as well (had to get off mangled track connectors for replacement).

I may put Norfolk Southern scales from a Tinker ad knife I saw on it; you know, keeping with the rail theme. Any Deutsches Bahn or SBB CHF 91mm?

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Re: Deluxe Tinker
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 08:19:03 PM
OK folks, convince me I need a Deluxe Tinker.  I have been messing with model trains a lot lately, and while my CT34 is kind of the same thing plus CT layer, I'm just not really seeing a need for that specific layer; as few of the bits are really any good on older stuff. Plus, ditching that layer saves me width and weight.

The pliers, so far, on what little work I've done on badly damaged Marklin M-Track, have proven very useful. The cutters are just what I need for the small gauge wire Marklin uses. Blades and scissors are "Well, Duh" SAK tools to me. Can opener SD is just the right size for the screw holding on the shell of the locomotive. I have used the bottle opener as a pry working with the messed up track as well (had to get off mangled track connectors for replacement).

I may put Norfolk Southern scales from a Tinker ad knife I saw on it; you know, keeping with the rail theme. Any Deutsches Bahn or SBB CHF 91mm?

Ok, you do need a Deluxe Tinker, and here is why: You have been messing with model trains a lot lately, and while your CT34 is kind of the same thing plus CT layer, you're just not really seeing a need for that specific layer; as few of the bits are really any good on older stuff. Plus, ditching that layer saves you width and weight.

The pliers, so far, on what little work you've done on badly damaged Marklin M-Track, have proven very useful. The cutters are just what you need for the small gauge wire Marklin uses. Can opener SD is just the right size for the screw holding on the shell of the locomotive. You have used the bottle opener as a pry working with the messed up track as well (you had to get off mangled track connectors for replacement).

Hope this could convince you and have fun with your new SAK.

us Offline Mcfal12

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 08:23:07 PM
 :rofl:

:iagree:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 09:49:45 PM
You know that you need it!

JUST.BUY.IT.

:multi:

nz Offline Storm

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 10:17:36 PM
What he said :iagree:
Its a SAK, you cant go wrong :tu:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 10:22:07 PM
A little temptation...
Go ahead.
deluxe tinker.jpg
* deluxe tinker.jpg (Filesize: 305.26 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 10:42:22 PM
Slap some Plus scales on that puppy when you get it.  They make any SAK tastier.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 10:44:49 PM
The Cybertool 34 and Deluxe Tinker are both excellent knives. I have both, but am more likely to carry the Deluxe Tinker... or the Cybertool 41. While the Cybertool driver is very good, I can manage without it most of the time. If I want it "just in case", then I might as well add a saw and file "just in case" too.

I have put most of my stash aside for a year, to see if I miss having something around. I left the 41 and Deluxe Tinker in play, and have used them both since I started the experiment. The 34 is not left in play, nor stashed away in a box, it's actually in a different box. The mod fodder box.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 04:15:38 AM
I also have both the CT34 & Deluxe Tinker.  I've been carrying the CT34 to work, as it has just about the perfect tool set for me for that purpose.  If you're not getting any value from the bit driver, however, then the Deluxe Tinker is much more comfortable both in pocket and in hand.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 04:27:42 AM
I’m not gonna push you towards the DT.

I’m gonna suggest one of my personal favorites that’s one tool layer more: Marlboro Troubleshooter.

The extra additional thin layer with a Metal Saw and Chisel should be useful for the added size.  :dunno:

I have a few DTs and the sibling Matterhorns with the 60% serrated main blade. But I rarely grab either of those over the Troubleshooters.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. Especially if you get both.  :D
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%