Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which shovel?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Which shovel?
Reply #30 on: October 02, 2021, 02:20:22 PM
I ended up using that one I made for something and then when done I walk right over to a small branch that was bothering me and hacked it off in about three hits!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 02, 2021, 02:21:33 PM
The general design of portable shovels for wintertime look a bit different around here. The Fiskars below is a typical example. They are good for building shelters and digging down on trips, and nice to have in the back of the car or snowmobile. Not so great on ice or icy snow - old shovels of this kind will often develop a rip in the aluminium after a lot of such use. The main benefit of a shovel made for snow is that it gets the those kinds of jobs done much faster due to the shape and size.

Personally I have a middle of the road option for the car. A bit smaller, and with a pointy steel blade - though not so small as the collapsible ones. The weight difference matters less in the car, and it will handle ice as well. (That thing is supposedly made for digging in steep uphill areas - thus shorter handle than normal).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #32 on: January 25, 2022, 09:38:16 AM
For our tropical wintertime it proved enough.
Apart from removing snow, I put it under the wheel and stepped on it over slippery soil.
The handle got very wet but the grip remains firm.
And it doesn't freeze my palm, as the all steel other shovel/multitool I used all these years (that's Soviet too).
So far, so good.
Thankfully, they stole my Surge and Swisschamp from my car, but they didn't consider this valuable.

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: January 25, 2022, 12:43:16 PM
Well, you have now officially shovelled more snow this year than I have.  We're having a relatively mild and damp winter so far. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%