Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK pliers: where do you use it for?

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: SAK pliers: where do you use it for?
Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 12:30:40 PM
I think of SAK pliers as an extesion of my fingertips. Seen this way I think they can be quite useful. Most frequent use for me would be while gardening/farming. I use them to tie plant twigs (such as jasmins and strawberries) where I want them with a soft wire marketed for tying garbage bags. I could use normal pliers for this job but SAK pliers fit easily where I want them and also let me see what I'm doing. This might not be the case with bigger pliers. I've also used them for opening broken zippers, removing broken glass sherds from a window frame (watch out for those flying glass splinters that may occur) and pulling tent pegs out. I like these pliers for what they are and for allowing me to go inventive :)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 06:06:31 PM
I like the pliers for small delicate parts , my big cartoon charachter fingers have problems with . Ditto a former co worker of mine who's in the locksmithing racket .

Chris

us Offline radioactive_Man

Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 06:20:11 AM
I love the pliers on my Vic Mechanic. They spring open, they have a very fine tip, you can get a lot of leverage using just your thumb, and the way you hold them compared to traditional pliers gives you a lot of fine control. In fact, it's probably the only tool on the SAK that really has no better alternative. I wouldn't want to have to build a skyscraper with them, but I find myself reaching for the mechanic pliers many times when I have a whole chest of other tools by my side.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: June 09, 2015, 10:57:20 PM
To bring a little life back to this thread, can someone post a pic to compare sak pliers with traditional mt pliers and or squirt size pliers please?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #34 on: June 10, 2015, 11:46:27 AM
Here you go Demel:
pliers.jpg
* pliers.jpg (Filesize: 60.07 KB)

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: June 10, 2015, 04:40:19 PM
Here you go Demel:
Thank you. Are they more comfortable than the squirt to use?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #36 on: June 10, 2015, 04:48:22 PM
SAK vs Spirit pliers

I don't have a Squirt, but do have a Style PS.  I find the SAK pliers easier to use than the Style, because I can grip the body of the SAK with four fingers and operate the pliers with my thumb.  With the Style, I have to balance the longer handle on my fingertips and it doesn't feel as secure.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #37 on: June 10, 2015, 05:09:29 PM
For delicate "big tweezers" type jobs I would rate the SAK pliers over the Squirt for the reason that hiraethus described.  For real pliers jobs the Squirt wins because you can wrap your hand around it for more leverage, and its wire cutters are bigger and more effective.

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #38 on: June 10, 2015, 05:23:05 PM

SAK pliers? I love them so much. Small? Yes! But it helps me a lot. I do have a LM Charge TTi, but for small things like pulling car fuse, opening the cap of a mineral water gallon, dealing with a jammed paper stapler, I prefer to use the pliers in the Deluxe Tinker. And I like to have a pair of pliers with me all the time in a light and small SAK (compared to the Charge TTi).
-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD