Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ulu (Uluit)

Nix · 46 · 1680

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Ulu (Uluit)
on: December 06, 2018, 10:05:14 PM
We had the beginnings of an Uluit thread here way back when, but it ran dry. So I thought I'd just start a new one, instead of going all Dr Frankenstein on the older one.

The Ulu is a multitool that keeps popping up into my filed of view. I continue to be intrigued by this design, and the idea that it could be a multitool that is easier to use with mittens.

When I was a younger man, my hands seemed to be impervious to the cold, but after a few episodes of mild frostbite, old-man Winter seems to bit harder. So gloves, if not mittens seem to be the order of the Winter day for me.

While most fix blades do just fine for me, there is something about the way an Ulu is used that makes it seem particularly mitten friendly. No coincidence that this style of knife got developed and is still popular in Northern latitudes.

In addition, I've seen western cooks and chuckwagon cooks refer to using a "hash knife" out on the trail. These "hash knives" seem, to me, to be a variation of the Ulu. They also seem fairly useful.

A few years ago Outback in Idaho was considering getting one of these (Did you?) and a couple other forum members had some limited experience. I'm curious if anybody else has had any experience with these intriguing knives (Uluit). I see some potential here, but am just not sure to what extent I'd really use one.

Who has experience with an Ulu?

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Ulu (Uluit)
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 10:13:50 PM
I have absolutely no experience with the ulu, but I have to agree that it does look interesting :like:
Do you know what they where used for or how they are used?

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 10:23:51 PM
I know little here, RF52.

My understanding is that they have been considered "Womens' Knives" because they were associated with a wide range of domestic tasks. However, I also believe that  they get used by men and women in Alaska, Canada, Greenland, etc......

I've heard they are handy for food prep, but get used for everything from giving haircuts to dressing caribou.  Makes an Ulu a multitool in my book.

Apparently they are great for some kinds of fish prep, e.g. cleaning fish for drying or smoking. The design is useful for scraping hides....I hear.

I've used a hatchet in a similar fashion (holding one by the head, not the handle) for use in carving and fire prep. Some rough or coarse food prep as well. Ulu's seem to have finer blades in general, making them better suited than an axe for finer work.

The possibilities seem pretty broad.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:25:37 PM
Found a nice Youtube video by a guy who seems to have some experience using and making them:

se Offline RF52

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 11:24:42 PM
Thanks for sharing the video, will watch it later :cheers:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:39:34 PM
I first saw these a few years ago and it was an Alaskan cutting up dinner, she used it as if she was wolverine, the wife and I actully thought about getting one but then drifted, the one we looked at came with a cuttingblock just for it because it had a divot the same contour as the ulu, I think there nice!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 01:21:53 AM
I wish I were only half as quick dressing out Perch.......

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 06:52:58 AM
I cooked professionally and have not seen nor heard of these knives.  She's certainly handy with that blade and comes across wonderfully with her dedication to her culture and skill.  Good info.   
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 03:44:07 PM
I have one that has been more than 20 years in our kitchen, brought from the  Yukon by my uncle  :angel:
They are like the Kukri of the Inuits, used for scraping, butchering, de-boning, food prep of fish and meat, etc. :like: and quite versatile for tough vegetables or frozen stuff like surimi (fake crab) in my experience  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 03:47:40 PM
That's very cool, El P!   :tu:

(Any chance of a pic?  :pok:)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:14:06 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 03:48:04 PM
She's certainly handy with that blade and comes across wonderfully with her dedication to her culture and skill.  Good info.

:iagree:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 06:06:16 PM
had to go take a pic... :whistle:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 07:38:15 PM
 :like:  very cool.

Any challenges sharpening it?

hr Offline styx

Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 10:43:35 PM
they look interesting. bet they would be a ton of fun to try
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 10:50:55 PM
The Ulu idea has come up for me often enough that I went ahead and pulled the trigger....on a modern version... :ahhh

Details to follow. 

se Offline RF52

Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 10:54:48 PM
:popcorn:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 11:30:35 PM
I have a rough rider one...

It doesn't get used often, but can come in useful occasionally. Chopping herbs, cube cutting flake pipe tobacco, and I have used it for cutting leather stropping pads for vintage razor systems. Mine is chisel ground, which I'm not a huge fan of. For most tasks, I'll reach for something else instead

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 11:33:38 PM
 :like:

I understand that it's more common (traditional in some places) to have a chisel ground edge. I, too, don't generally prefer a chisel grind, but I've got a few knives with such an edge and have learned they have their uses.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 12:29:08 AM
This is like the one we were looking at,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 12:44:27 AM

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 04:34:43 PM
:like:  very cool.

Any challenges sharpening it?

to be honest I don't recall the last time I sharpened it...if I ever did  :facepalm: :dunno:
My toys:

us Offline David

Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 12:10:01 AM
I've seen numerous Ulu's over the years. While I find them interesting I've never really had the desire to own one. Maybe I should get one to play with. Might be fun. I think Top Knives even makes one or did at one time. Tactical Ulu who'd a thunked it.    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 01:03:38 PM
I know what you mean about your hands buddy! :facepalm:
Barry

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 05:22:21 PM
I cooked professionally and have not seen nor heard of these knives.  She's certainly handy with that blade and comes across wonderfully with her dedication to her culture and skill.  Good info.

+1

:hatsoff: :tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 01:21:15 AM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 01:22:03 AM

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 05:10:11 PM

Couldn't see the vid... Now I can...

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

hr Offline styx

Reply #27 on: December 15, 2018, 12:53:52 PM
those are some big ulus

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 07:24:20 PM
This one is not........

My new Ulu arrived today, made in the USA (Texas?) by Knives of Alaska. The steel is D2, the brass riveted handle is made from 'Santoprene', a molded plastic with a slight elastic quality. In the sheath, the whole package is about 4.25" x 4.5". The 'blade length' along the curve is about 4.5".

The edge is a traditional chisels grind. As it came from KOA, it is hair-popping sharp. 'Traditional' may be inaccurate, since some Ulu are made with symmetric two-sided V-grinds, but it's my impression that the chisel grind is more common.

Right away it feels like a very instinctive knife to use. Because this Ulu is symmetrical in shape, I can be used left handed or right handed or the bevel can be switched to suit the cutting task.

Last comment here, the sheath (also made in USA) is a very high quality sheath. I'm going to go treat the sheath with some pitch blend and see how it carries on the belt!

hr Offline styx

Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 08:57:27 PM
well I'm still stuck on how the Grohmann #1 is a great all around design, so this has me entirely stumped. will be interesting to see your experiences with it

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%