Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ulu (Uluit)

Nix · 46 · 1681

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Ulu (Uluit)
Reply #30 on: December 15, 2018, 08:59:24 PM
I think I' going to do a 30-day challenge with it. (After the SwissChamp challenge. #becauseSAK)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: December 15, 2018, 09:29:14 PM
I am tempted to make a few. Will keep a look out for materials.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: December 15, 2018, 11:35:39 PM
I am tempted to make a few. Will keep a look out for materials.

Me too.  :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: December 15, 2018, 11:45:37 PM
I have a bunch of old hand saws that would be perfect to make some out of. 

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: December 16, 2018, 12:00:37 AM
I used the Ulu today to make "Pantry Minestrone". This is a soup I make where I raid the pantry and fridge for various ingredients and leftovers to make a Minestrone-inspired soup.

First, I've been using a classic chef's knife, 8"-10", for year and years. I can use one blindfolded. So switching to a small Ulu was really strange. And felt a wee bit dangerous at times.

The Ulu is a very instinctive knife to use, at times it almost feels primal, like using a sharp shard of obsidian, but after using a chef's knife for several decades, the Ulu is also foreign. As a result, I was fairly slow and a bit clumsy with this knife. I guess time will tell if I develop better skills and a bit more speed.

First up, mushrooms:

This Ulu is sharp! it cut through these 'shrooms with ease. My cuts were not consistent and I ended up with some significant variations. For this 'rustic' soup, that was just fine.

Next, carrots:

I tried breaking down the carrots by splitting them lengthwise. This was tricky. The asymmetric edge grind led the knife to veer off from a straight cut. With a chef's knife, this is an easy task. I really had to focus and play with the cutting angle to get a clean split. Once split, dicing was easy. I used a simple rocking motion to effect the dice.

Celery:

I felt my skill-set improving here and I did a bit better cutting the celery lengthwise into strips. Again a simple push cut and rocking motion completed the dice. I felt a bit faster here, too.

Onion:

Here the problem was "big onion, small knife". Rough chopping an onion with a chef's knife is a simple and quick task for me. This was trickier. You can see that in the end I essentially used the Ulu to split the onion. Here I wished I had a bigger Ulu.

Once split, however, the Ulu did a good job slicing the onion.

I then used it crosswise to effect a nice chop.  Here again, I stacked up the slices, used a push cut and rocking motion to complete the cut. It worked well, and I felt myself getting faster with practice. However, I'm used to using the side of a chef's knife to guide the knife and protect my fingers. That seemed trickier to do with this small Ulu and at least once I came close to nicking a finger. Maybe twice.  ;)  Lesson learned (I hope).

Lastly, I cut up some Italian sausage:

I used the Ulu to remove the casing, split the sausages, and then chop them into 1/2" pieces. The Ulu did a great job wit this. Again, I use a push cut to start the chop, then a rocking motion to complete the cut. Worked well and was reasonably fast.

After all that work, I cleaned the Ulu and wiped it dry. I tested the Ulu on my leg and it was still shaving sharp. While the materials I cut, e.g. mushrooms or sausage, aren't hard on an edge, I was cutting for a long time against a wooden cutting board (plastic for the sausage). I was pretty happy to see that the D2 steel had held a nice sharp edge.

Here's the soup simmering away:

Thanks to the Ulu, dinner is looking pretty good!   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: December 16, 2018, 12:01:34 AM
I have a bunch of old hand saws that would be perfect to make some out of.

That's what I'm thinking.   :tu: 

Pawn shop run next week!   :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: December 16, 2018, 07:31:52 AM
Just now catching up with this thread.  Nice KOA Ulu.  Looks like it would take some getting used to but you did a great job and the soup looks wonderful.   
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: December 16, 2018, 10:47:04 AM
good looking soup. so it has a learning curve
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: December 16, 2018, 03:20:15 PM
good looking soup. so it has a learning curve

In a round about way.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: December 16, 2018, 04:32:55 PM
 :rofl:

us Offline David

Reply #40 on: December 23, 2018, 06:04:57 PM
Good review of the KOA Ulu Nix.   :tu:    I'm tempted to get one of those. With the more curved blade of the KOA it probably works better field dressing  Moose and Bear than the kitchen. Of course that is just an opinion from observation not from actual experience with the KOA Ulu........ yet.    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: December 23, 2018, 06:06:23 PM
I think you are right.

I'm going to do a 30-day challenge with the Ulu in February. You are welcome to join in!

hr Offline styx

Reply #42 on: December 23, 2018, 08:15:54 PM
you might need to borrow a day or 2 from march

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: December 23, 2018, 08:30:59 PM
Rob March to pay February? Yeah, I can do that!   :cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #44 on: December 23, 2018, 09:45:40 PM
oh a heist! fun

se Offline RF52

Reply #45 on: December 23, 2018, 09:55:08 PM
I love a good heist!

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30