Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

F1R vs S1R, battle of the pocketbeams! A guideline.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
on: December 09, 2018, 11:29:42 AM
I've been carrying my Led Lenser F1R for almost 3 years now. I got it as soon as it came out.

For those of you who don't know it:

Brand: Led Lenser
Model: F1R
Max output: 1000lm
Weight: 67 gram
Length: 11.5 cm
Width (body): 2.16 cm
Width (head): 2.5 cm
Energy source: 18650 Lithium
IP X8
Level 3 anodising

Since the release, prices came down by quite alot here.

Inside the (rather nice gift) box one can find quite alot of stuff.

Ranging from the light itself, to the external charger (needed to keep the whole waterproof), a spare O-ring, cleaning cloth and brush, lanyard, clip, battery and a strike bezel that can be switched over with the stainless steel designer bezel.

The light contains 3 light modes:
- Low (10 ANSI lumen, 60h) 
- Mid (250 ANSI lumen) 
- High (1000 ANSI lumen, 3h) 

Keep in mind, the stated runtime means from activation to drop-out. So you won't get the stated runtime with the continous stated lumens.

The light modes are easy selectable and the UI allows the user to select a "high power first" or "low power first" mode.

The battery keeps the light powered more than decent enough.

During camping trips for 2-3 weeks I didn't have to recharge the light even once. On top of that, the F1R can also handle 2 CR123A batteries in line just as well! So there is no excuse to run out of power with this powerhouse!! The 1000lm is great to have, but used rarely. It's comforting to know it's there though.
No fancy SOS or strobe modes, which I like.

This light has gone quite some places with me and never let me down.  I keep the strike bezel on just in case, but put the stainless steel bezel on when travelling abroad.

Even though the light is small for it's size, it's still rather large to pocket carry, which brought the need for an "urban alternative".

I do want to end this part of the post by saying the heat dispersion on the F1R is fabulous, allowing the F1R to run on high without heat issues. Just don't hold it by it's cooling ribs, or you'll disrupt the heat dispersion.

Contender discussion in the next post.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: F1R vs S1R, battle of the pocketbeams! A guideline.
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 11:51:30 AM
Yesterday I walked into an outdoor chain store. They had on sale for limited time: the Olight S1R.

Coming down by about 25%, the price became a tad more acceptable.
Little did I know it would turn out to be worth it's retail price! As a human, I just feel like I should get more real estate in hand the more I pay something... wrong mindset with flashlights!

The Specs:

Brand: Olight
Model: S1R
Length: 6.6 CM
Width: 1.5 CM
Weight: 36 grams without battery
Output: max 900lm
Powersource: RCR123A

inside the box, one will find:

The light with preinstalled battery  (protective film in place), preinstalled clip, a charger, a pouch and a lanyard.

The S1R has five selectable output modes besides the strobe mode. They cover an output range from 0.5 to 900 lumens, allowing a convenient selection for an output in every situation.
The firefly and strobe mode are "hidden" well enough to avoid accidental triggering.

Plucked the light modes from Amazon:
900 Lumens ~ .5 Minutes
600 Lumens ~ 55min
300 Lumens ~ 60 Minutes
60 Lumens ~ 4.5 Hours
12 Lumens ~ 33 Hours,
.5 Lumens ~ 15 Days 

Be aware, the site states .5 minutes on 900lm. The battery won't be drained, but the light will switch back to 600lm to avoid overheating.

The Lenser tops the Olight here, but has got more hardware to disperse the heat too.

The side button can be pressed accidentaly quite easily, but a lockout function is present. Still, a tailswitch variant would have been neat.

I have no idea on runtime yet, but the magnetic USB charger that can charge the battery right inside the light is awesome!!

During a few visual tests, the difference of 100lm on high mode with the F1R is somewhat visible, but that's also because the F1R has a more concentrated spot in the middle of the beam, allowing a bit more focus.

The Olight is Oh-so-light and tucks away easy!!
It can take a regular CR123A too, but the output will drop some since the RCR delivers 3.7V compared to the CR's 3V.

It'll be a perfect companion in urban settings, but it won't replace the Lenser when out in the woods or camping grounds.

Built quality is great on both! They are both prime examples of engineering and finishing.

However, if you're looking for a single light for all your needs, and your profile is close to mine: urban carry with some outdoors and camping use as an exception, the S1R will tick all your boxes without breaking the bank.

Keep in mind: Olight released a new version of the S1R, where they boosted the charger from 750mA to 1A to allow even faster charging. They upgraded the LED to 1000lm and altered the battery to the new Lithium-Manganese battery to allow higher current drain.
They also roughened up the body of the light to allow better grip and altered the clip to clip on in 2 directions without having to take it off.

They pop up here at the same retail price as the regular S1R, so in that case you're better off grabbing v2.

If you can buy v1 at discount however, it is worth grabbing the v1 instead.

Next up: a few comparisson shots.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:56:15 AM by Mechanickal »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 12:02:13 PM
Here they are alongside an 18650 cell and 91mm SAK for size refference.

It doesn't show correctly in the pic, but the Olight is hardly any longer than the 18650 cell.

Only a little wider too.

I did forget to add that the Olight has a magnetic tail, allowing to mount it on any magnetisable area! I guess that wouldn't be quite likely with a tailswitch.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 12:06:57 PM
So as a conclusion:
Led Lenser F1R: pocketable powerhouse that can withstand just about anything, long lasting battery.
Perfect for hiking, camping, hunting etc.

Olight S1R: best pocketability possible given the light output!
Powerhouse that needs to be recharged more often, but also uses a smaller cell. ~Duh!
Perfect for EDC during your daily commutes, but will fit the roles of hiking and camping too if you need it to. In my mind a perfect "all I would need" light if I didn't have the Lenser.
Might be a good idea to invest in an extra RCR123A if you'll have it as your only light during the aforemended activities.

Hope you enjoyed my review!

My first decent one I wrote here it seems...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 12:14:14 PM
 :like:
Very enjoyable to read!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 01:27:53 PM
Somebody's been to the A.S. store again ...  :D

I've been thinking about getting an Olight for some time now, but I was leaning more towards the H2R Nova.  But since I've spend too much these last weeks, I decided not to go for it and go with my Led Lenser F1 or P7.2. 
But I also noticed the S1R promo, so I tried to stay clear from their website, and what does Mechy do ...  :twak:

Anyway, great review and I hope you will update this topic from time to time when you've put the S1R through some extended use.  Have you tried to use the pocketclip on the S1R to clip it to a cap, I've been wondering if this would be possible, I think so, considering the form of the clip and the length of the S1R, but would like to hear from you. 

If only we had our MTO caps to test this ...  :whistle:

Oh, and I just wanted to add that I really dislike that Lumen timing marketing scam from Led Lenser, "down to one Lumen ..." It bothers me everytime I pick up a Led Lenser product and read the small print under the Lumen times.  People who just want to buy a cool led light don't know/read this, they will only see 900Lumen = 3 hours and go  :o.

While in real life this means 900Lumen for 5 minutes and after 3 hours not enough Lumen to find your own zipper when you need to take a p*ss (figure of speech).

Edit: Just noticed that on the A.S. site they show a pic from the S1R with the "double sided" pocket clip first, and when you scroll to see the other pics they show it with the "one sided" pocket clip as seen on your pics.  Good to know this, since the double sided pocket clip was one of the things I liked about it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:33:49 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 02:09:46 PM
The double sided clip is the S1R v2 as described above!

But this is not what you'd get when ordering it.

Regarding the cap trick: I'm 99% sure it would work ;)

It just feels great being able to take a decent, powerfull light, with ease now!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 02:12:59 PM
The double sided clip is the S1R v2 as described above!

But this is not what you'd get when ordering it.

Regarding the cap trick: I'm 99% sure it would work ;)

It just feels great being able to take a decent, powerfull light, with ease now!

I read the S1R vs S1Rv2 reference, but I just wanted to point out that they show the wrong version on the site at first, which is a bit misleading in my opinion.

Still a great deal on a great light.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 02:30:15 PM
True, true.

I'll clip it to a cap when I get home later today. :salute:

And I do wonder where my MTO cap is at the moment :shrug:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 02:50:20 PM
Nice review and feedback, guys!

I've never tried an Olight, but I'm intrigued. I have use a light clip to mount one on a cap, in order to have two hands free, and it has worked well. A little awkward, but it is a big help.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 03:19:16 PM
I own a few Lensor and several more Olight and am just OK with the Lensor but in general much more enthusiastic for Olight.

That said I am unsure why you compare an 18650 light with an 18350 light?

Apples to Apples would pit the Lensor and the Olight S2R which use the same battery both in a pocket rocket form factor?

I also carry Zebra Light for my EDC both in 1aa and 18650 sizes and I prefer the ZL to both brands you review in EDC use although I did get the V2 S1 MiniR last week and it is pretty amazing for sure and I have used and loved my S1 original with no troubles at all I just prefer the ZL interface which can provide twice as many level options or more in similar sized or smaller packages.

On the other hand these lights have all gotten so much better in such a short time that I am sure you should be thrilled with almost any current model from almost ay manufacturer too!

Just try an inexpensive Convoy S2+ or Emisar D4 of any flavor and see what you think?!?!

Thanks for the thread and review too,I think we need more Light Talk up in here!

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 03:40:48 PM
I also have an F1R, and to be honest, it is probably the last LED Lenser I will ever buy, less they come out with something amazing. It's not a bad light, but for the price, it is an under performer.
Battery and size wise, a 20€ BLF A6 is better performer for a fraction of the price.

So cheap you can easy buy another one.

Can't judge a S1R for myself, but I heard good things about them.

Great write up Mechy  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 03:42:23 PM by microbe »
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 04:12:46 PM
Great write up Nick :like: @ ezdog, I think he is comparing the two not as a head to head but more of a "which is best for which situation" type comparison :cheers: I have had both version 1 and 2 of the S1R (lost the first one :facepalm: ) and loved it so much that I finally got the newer one to replace it :dd: I really have no experience with LED Lenser,so no comment from me :D Olight is my most favorite brand, both look wise and for function :tu: but I am rather new to the bit more expensive LED market and mostly have cheapos and some Maglites (yes I know some don't consider them contenders but I quite like them still ;) :D )

Can't wait to hear more thoughts Nick and I need to get a review going of a couple of my lights as well :tu:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 04:14:06 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 04:35:32 PM
Thanks for the write up.  I am a big fan of my S1R Turbo S.  The light has done everything I needed it to. This light has evolved over time.  The lineage has made some tweaks over time from the S1 thru S1R v2.   If you can get the S1R Turbo S its certainly not antiquated, yet.  The strode is "hidden" but with 3 presses it can be accessed rather quickly.     

S1R
Turbo: 900 ~ 300 lumens / .5 min + 55 min
High: 300 lumens / 1 hr
Mid: 60 lumens / 4 hr 30 min
Low: 12 lumens / 33 hours
Moonlight: 0.5 lumens / 15 days

S1R Turbo S
Turbo S: 900 ~ 300 lumens / 1.5 min + 50 min
Turbo: 600 ~ 300 lumens / 1.5 min + 55 min
High: 300 lumens / 1 hr
Mid: 60 lumens / 4 hr 30 min
Low: 12 lumens / 33 hours
Strobe. 

S1R v 2
1000 LM~300 LM---1.5 min - 37 min
600 LM~300LM---1.5 min - 45 min
60 LM---3h 40 min
12 LM---20 h
0.5 LM---8 d
600 LM---13 HZ
Note: Max 1,000-lumen output reached when the included IMR16340 is used. Otherwise the max output is 600 lumens.
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 04:58:06 PM
I have a Olight S10 and the pocket clip works great for a makeshift headlamp clipped to a hat

And great comparisson Mechanickal :like:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 05:08:05 PM
I guess the title of the thread is where I got the idea that it was a Head to Head Battle.

For comparison sake these are all 18650 lights except 1,can you tell which one?

Yes it is pretty obvious and which would you want to carry all the time in your pocket?

It is sure true that the 18650 has a lot more juice than any 123 sized cell but like you suggest there might be a use that is just a better fit for the other too.

These Mecarmy lights are an interesting comparison, they use the exact same 3 chip head but just use different battery tubes!

The 18650 lasts more than twice as long easily AND puts out more light too.

Great write up Nick :like: @ ezdog, I think he is comparing the two not as a head to head but more of a "which is best for which situation" type comparison :cheers: I have had both version 1 and 2 of the S1R (lost the first one :facepalm: ) and loved it so much that I finally got the newer one to replace it :dd: I really have no experience with LED Lenser,so no comment from me :D Olight is my most favorite brand, both look wise and for function :tu: but I am rather new to the bit more expensive LED market and mostly have cheapos and some Maglites (yes I know some don't consider them contenders but I quite like them still ;) :D )

Can't wait to hear more thoughts Nick and I need to get a review going of a couple of my lights as well :tu:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:20:22 PM by ezdog »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 06:37:16 PM
Yes, I admit the title was a bit misleading, but like Poncho said, it was more on how they can complement each other.

The title just had a ring to it though :D

Sadly, the amount of decent flashlight options available for purchase in physical stores is rather small.

Maglite, Led Lenser and Olight (since about 3-4 years ago).

Anything other? Internet only.

The S1R Super S... is a different model than the S1R? Because I have the S1R Super S writen on the box :facepalm: got it's first use this evening to light up an unlit parking lot.

Great having so much light with me in such a small package 8)

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 08:07:47 PM
Yes, I admit the title was a bit misleading, but like Poncho said, it was more on how they can complement each other.

The title just had a ring to it though :D

Sadly, the amount of decent flashlight options available for purchase in physical stores is rather small.

Maglite, Led Lenser and Olight (since about 3-4 years ago).

Anything other? Internet only.

The S1R Super S... is a different model than the S1R? Because I have the S1R Super S writen on the box :facepalm: got it's first use this evening to light up an unlit parking lot.

Great having so much light with me in such a small package 8)

Yeah I didn't mea to come across as a hardass either but was surprised that there could be a comparison between these so dissimilar lights as I said.

It is also interesting that Lensors thing has always seemed to be the focusing lights and even if you look at their page about this light they brag about this but then......this one does not focus adjust at all?

I think this brand is more popular also in Europe for some reason too.

I agree though as a team they seem pretty sweet and I try to pair up what I carry to complement one another as well.

Most ZL are really Floody overall so I try to carry a second light that is more of a Thrower usually.

I also try to stick with cell sizes that are similar for the same reason so that the lights can support each other if I need more battery and for my use while working Recharging is not a realistic option usually at all.
When my light dies I need another battery right away and can not wait for charging so this means I either carry spares or spare lights or both which I try to do.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 08:36:14 PM
It comes without focus ring, yes. But it's rated to submersible up to 2m (I think) which can not be done with a movable lens. The TIR lens is just fine for my needs so far though.

Both lights can handle regular CR123A cells so I keep a few of those with me as spare power source.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:16:25 PM by Mechanickal »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 03:51:16 AM
The S1R doesnt have 600lm and the run time for 900lm is .5 sec.  S1R Turbo S added the 600lm and run time for 900lm is 1.5 sec. 

I forgot to add that the S1R Turbo S does have moonlight mode of .5 lm
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 07:21:48 AM
Ok... bit mindblown...

My little light seems to be not so standard after all :sa:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 03:14:34 PM
The S1R Turbo S is one heck of a light.  The tweaks made on this series have been nice.  Olight makes some really nice lights.  3 presses to get to strobe for those who like disco modes but dont want to cycle thru and come upon them.  Size wise its easily pocketable and the looks are super nice.   Lock out feature, just in case.  Theres a lot to like with this light. 

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 05:08:14 PM
How can you tell the difference apart from the box? No webshop states it as a Turbo S. Not even the one of the shop I bought it from...

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 09:27:36 PM
How can you tell the difference apart from the box? No webshop states it as a Turbo S. Not even the one of the shop I bought it from...

Check for the Turbo S badge.

:whistle:
@blackdiamonds_42

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 09:46:21 PM
Lol :D

It's not present on the light itself?

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 10:03:58 PM
Lol :D

It's not present on the light itself?

From the wise men of the internet:

The difference between the two S1R types is fairly subtle. They both have the same mode levels, and overall features. In fact, Without knowing there was a difference between them, I wouldn’t be able to tell by looking at them. Literally the only variance in marking or manufacture is the laser engraved serial number on each. Where they actually differ is in the double click functionality. With the original S1R, double clicking, while the light was on, would enact either the lights 3 or 9 minute shutoff timer. Those have been eliminated the Turbo S version, replaced by a return to the selectable 600 or the full 900 lumen turbo mode. This seems to me like a far more useful option. Other than that, output, operation, and appearance all remain untouched.
@blackdiamonds_42

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 10:06:31 PM
Thanks! :cheers:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 10:28:06 PM
@blackdiamonds_42

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 12:39:59 AM
Thanks! :cheers:
So, which one do you have?

The S1R or the S1R Turbo S?

Maybe, just maybe I might just go and have a look at one these days...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%