Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Army Knife for self defense

00 Offline undertaker99

Swiss Army Knife for self defense
on: December 09, 2018, 06:21:01 PM
If you were being attacked by a dog would it be better to use the reamer or the blade, thanks

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Swiss Army Knife for self defense
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 06:29:06 PM
If you were being attacked by a dog would it be better to use the reamer or the blade, thanks
Neither, I would suggest a stick  :pok:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 06:34:37 PM
:iagree: a walking/hiking staff/pole would be better choice and it is usually already in your hand.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 06:37:52 PM
 :iagree:

Not sure if you're serious but a Swiss army knife would be a poor choice to fend off an aggressive dog.

Pepper spray would be a more effective choice.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 06:44:21 PM
I really hate it when SAKs are associated with weapons...
But if there's no other option :think: no idea really.

Maybe use the Avada Kedavra spell with your First Mage?

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 07:09:13 PM
Both the reamer and blade have no immediate stopping power and will probably slice off your fingers if you try to use them like that.  :ahhh
A stick or pepper spray can stop an animal in its tracks if you use it right.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline undertaker99

Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 07:21:20 PM
Both the reamer and blade have no immediate stopping power and will probably slice off your fingers if you try to use them like that.  :ahhh
A stick or pepper spray can stop an animal in its tracks if you use it right.
thanks man i think i'll get the ASP Palm Defender

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 07:35:34 PM
A SAK is not a weapon, so neither.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 07:36:41 PM
Where are you that you are in danger of being attacked by a dog ?

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 07:56:40 PM
This is a good defence against either a 2 or 4 legged antagonist.
IMG_20181209_125106.jpg
* IMG_20181209_125106.jpg (Filesize: 26.16 KB)
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 08:19:24 PM

Butchers shop.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 08:27:36 PM

Butchers shop.

SIGH.        :facepalm:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 08:30:19 PM

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 08:54:02 PM

us Offline Pacu

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 09:08:24 PM
 :rofl:

Anyway i think the reamer would just make it angry, i really wouldnt bother, big stick is your answer..or throw sausages at them then run  :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 09:32:27 PM
I really hate it when SAKs are associated with weapons...

+100

... that..., and also i think a "knife" is the worst self defense tool in most situations, and a Sak even less...

A SAK is not a weapon, so neither.

Again... +100

The words "SAK" and "weapon" don't fit in the same sentence, like...ever...  In a sticky situation, i'd rather use my fists than my Sak...

I even cringed at this topic title to be honest....    :twak:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:45:44 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 09:41:58 PM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 09:55:49 PM
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 10:00:37 PM
In my experience, dogs, unless they are trained to attack, don't really pose much of a threat if you stand your ground, they usually back off right at the point of attack. If there is a pack of angry dogs, that does change things a bit but I don't see a Swiss army knife being useful at all in that case. Quite a while ago I lived in Williamsburg Brooklyn near the waterfront, which at the time was basically several hundred acres of rubble and dilapidated warehouses. I found it interesting and often explored it. One day when I was in the middle of a rubble field, I noticed a group of 5 large wild dogs checking me out. They started moving towards me slowly and fanning out as they did so. It was terrifying. I slowly starting walking towards the road which was about 800 feet away. I would turn and face them periodically and yell and throw rocks. It slowed their pursuit enough that I was able to get within about 50 feet from the road at which point they had been closing the gap slowly and were about 75 feet away. I ran like a madman and got to the street and looking back they had ended their pursuit and were just staring at me. It was terrifying but I don't see how anything less than a firearm would have saved me had I fallen while running :dunno:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 10:17:30 PM
:iagree: a walking/hiking staff/pole would be better choice and it is usually already in your hand.

:tu: :tu: :tu:

Stick works far better than anything except a gun for attacking dogs. I've carried a stout walking stick everyday since I got out of the army. But then again, I was medically discharged with severe injuries to the right foot and would need a cane the rest of my life anyways. So being a vain young guy I didn't carry what I consider an old fogy cane but a good Irish Blackthorn. If I can't have a gun, give me a good stout stick of some kind and pepper spray. Knives make really lousy self defense weapons.

Living most of my life in and around Washington D.C., carrying a gun was a no-no, but a stout rustic walking stick has saved my butt a few times. I never would consider a knife as a self defense weapon.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:42:35 AM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 11:15:46 PM
In my experience, dogs, unless they are trained to attack, don't really pose much of a threat if you stand your ground, they usually back off right at the point of attack. If there is a pack of angry dogs, that does change things a bit but I don't see a Swiss army knife being useful at all in that case. Quite a while ago I lived in Williamsburg Brooklyn near the waterfront, which at the time was basically several hundred acres of rubble and dilapidated warehouses. I found it interesting and often explored it. One day when I was in the middle of a rubble field, I noticed a group of 5 large wild dogs checking me out. They started moving towards me slowly and fanning out as they did so. It was terrifying. I slowly starting walking towards the road which was about 800 feet away. I would turn and face them periodically and yell and throw rocks. It slowed their pursuit enough that I was able to get within about 50 feet from the road at which point they had been closing the gap slowly and were about 75 feet away. I ran like a madman and got to the street and looking back they had ended their pursuit and were just staring at me. It was terrifying but I don't see how anything less than a firearm would have saved me had I fallen while running :dunno:

A few years ago i found myself in a similar situation in Greece, a pack of them came bounding towards me and it didn't take long to realise they didn't want to lick my face, all snarling and growling, i didn't really fancy getting into a fight with them so i buggered off quick smart, just managed to get into my car in time before they all piled in , very scary situation..i did have a Classic SD in my pocket at the time though, i suppose i could have filed their teeth down and clipped their claws but i didn't think i would have the time, i'm always very wary of gangs of dogs now  :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 11:26:37 PM
I had a pack attack me in my own front yard a few years ago. I walked out to get the mail and was attacked by a pack of 5 medium sized dogs. About 35 to 40 pounds, 18 kilograms, each. I had a small folding table nearby & used it to fight them off. They came out on the worst end by far, but if they had coordnated their attack it might have turned out differently. I got out unscathed.
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 11:51:00 PM
I've never used a knife of any description in this situation.  I used to cycle a lot in SA. Dogs there tend to be vicious. I'd a can of very nasty pepper gas strapped to my handlebars. Even this was to create a means to escape  (think a fighter plane dropping flares) rather than a means to win a fight
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 01:40:30 AM
A "weapon" is the means, physical, emotional or economic, by which you impose your will upon another. Thus anything can be a weapon. But there are a lot that aren't very effective.

Knives are lousy defensive aids- unless you're strong enough to jam it through the skull (in which case you probably don't need a knife), can get it through or under the ribs to the heart, or are carrying something big enough to take an arm or head off in one chop at your skill level. You won't have time to get anything on a SAK or multi deployed vs a dog. The best use would be as a fist pack. It's a dumb idea- you need distance. Distance is safety, and distance is time.

If it is a known problem in your location, carry a stick if you can't carry a deterrent spray (best, carry both, pepper is rubbish if you've got a cross wind and seasoning if it is blowing your face), and keep your eyes open for rocks, bricks, bottles, etc that you can throw. Be diplomatic.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:52:42 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 01:55:01 AM
SAKs are poor weapons as are most pocket knives unless you’ve had extensive training. I’d recommend a small pistol if you can legally carry it, if not, bear spray works well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 04:39:42 AM
I currently carry pepper spray.  Its my personal choice against a dog.  I carry it even when hiking cause some people like to let their dogs off leash and some get aggressive.  So far my voice and posture have been enough plus I carry a hiking pole but I am always ready just in case. 

Be safe and do not run whatever you decide to do.   
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 04:48:42 AM
The reamer will not stop an attacking dog. Not even the 108mm reamer.
The blade will most likely fold on your fingers, or your hand will slip towards it. Not designed for piercing, no guard, no lock.
Both are terrible choices for defense. And kind of fiddly, considering how quickly dogs attack.

If being attacked by a dog is a legitimate concern, get pepper spray, if it is legal where you live.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 07:09:14 AM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68