Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Army Knife for self defense

de Offline Shuya

Re: Swiss Army Knife for self defense
Reply #30 on: December 10, 2018, 07:31:44 AM
When attacked by a dog there are two ways imho:

1) the dog attacks you in short notice without you seeing him approach
2) you see the dog from some distance and he goes for you with some pre warning time.

In both cases a SAK (which is never a weapon!) is by far the worst tool to go for.
In case one you dont have the time, in case two there are way better options than grabbing a probably non locking slippy knife as others said.
Been attacked by a dog (german sheppart) only once, with short notice. Luckily he just tried to bite my left arm and while I pulled it back he caught my jacket. Managed to fend im off with a hart hit onto his nose (very sensitive area for a dog!)

If attacked, try to cover your non dominant arm with something (spare shirt, your jacket etc) and get something to hit the dog with. A stick, stone, whatever.
Hold your covered arm in front of you, dogs tend to bite into the first thing they can reach, and then use brute force on that sucker. As mentioned, nose, throat, testicles.

Best would be to avoid attacks at all, walking back while facing him, I would not throw a stone if possible, may make things worse.
Personally, I carry pepper spray (get one that is of a gel-type that can be used in windy conditions and doesnt get back on you).

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:29:23 AM by Shuya »

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #31 on: December 10, 2018, 12:22:44 PM
I agree with most comments here that a SAK is a tool. But, that does not mean that certain tools cannot be used as a last resort in self defense. I would suggest a one handed opening SAK with a locking blade if you plan on doing crazy things. At least it will not close on you fingers.

On another note, you don't want to go around stabbing animals that may possibly be other peoples pets. A simple walking stick should enable you to poke and deter a dog from getting to close to you, without hurting it to much. Many hiking poles telescope or fold down to a small size you can tie to a backpack if you are not using them.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #32 on: December 10, 2018, 09:06:55 PM
If attacked by a mountain lion, use it if you have it.  I have read at least two accounts of people warding off mountain lion attacks with a SAK.
I'm sure that would not work with a bear.  Probably not a dog or wolf either.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #33 on: December 10, 2018, 11:28:11 PM
In March 1991 a stewardess from Amsterdam, at night on her way to her home, was followed, harassed and grabbed by the throat by a burglar. She was aware that she was being followed and as a precaution she had her Vx pocket knife ready in her hand. At the moment when he grabbed her throat she pushed the blade backward once, slicing his femur artery. At home she reported the incident to the police, which later found the attacker bled to death.

1.   A pocket knife is NOT a weapon, it’s a tool.
2.   Almost every object can be used as a weapon, even a rolled up newspaper.
3.   Pocket knives can kill, hurt or be used as a defensive weapon in extreme situations.
4.   Using a simple pocket knife as a weapon can be very dangerous to the user! You can cut your fingers badly if the blade snaps back, crippling you more then the attacker does.

I’ve been attacked 3 times by dogs. The first one (German Shepard) bit me in the left elbow, paralyzing my left arm. Then it bit a man standing next to me in his chest.
The second time a German Shepard (again) bit me in the buttocks while it was barking at me. Lesson learned: Barking dogs DO bite! Man, did that bite hurt. Immediately afterwards he ran away.
The third time was a pack of 2 Dobermanns and a small Jack Russel dog. The Jack Russell started the attack and it ran full throttle towards me, followed by the 2 Dobermanns. I a gave the Jack Russell a penalty that made him flew through the air for about 5 meters. The pack hit the breaks, stood still for one second and then ran away from me.
When attacked by dogs, especially the fighting dogs like Bull Terriers, use your weak arm to absorb the first biting. Attack his nose, throat, eyes and belly. If you have to stab the dog, again aim at the throat, underside of its lower jaws, nose and belly.

I would not recommend a SAK as a weapon against dog attacks. The chance of hurting yourself while using a non-locking blade is just too high. However, having a good knife at hand while being attacked by a dog, can rise your self confidence, which in turn can impress the animal, eventually preventing an attack.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:30:55 PM by EMZ »

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 10, 2018, 11:37:13 PM
Attacked by dogs three times? How?!

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 12:14:23 AM

The chance of hurting yourself while using a non-locking blade is just too high.

There are quite a few SAKs with locking blades.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 11:07:11 AM
Attacked by dogs three times? How?!

:iagree:

I am afraid of dogs. Phobia kind of afraid. It does not matter what size the mutt is. If I were attacked three times there is no damn way anyone could get me out of the house ever again!  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: December 11, 2018, 03:14:26 PM
I am afraid of dogs. Phobia kind of afraid. It does not matter what size the mutt is. If I were attacked three times there is no damn way anyone could get me out of the house ever again!  :D

Sorry to hear this lister.  With the prevalence of dogs this sucks.  Cynophobia is what its called.  I have a healthy respect myself.  I have been attacked a few times never bitten thankfully.  Its usually peoples dogs who should not have them in the first place.  These are dogs who are off leash or running free in the streets.  People who have lame fences where the dog can get out.  I went for a walk around my block and saw a large dog in the driveway of a home.  The owner was in his truck on the street.  I paused to see if he would secure his dog but he didn't.  We crossed the street all the while I had my finger on my pepper spray, ready.  He never once took hold of his dog and while the dog was just in the driveway I don't take chances. 

I cycled for years and have been chased.  A friends dog lunged at me but he was quick and grabbed its collar.  I have had to "penalty" kick a dog  :( .  I love dogs but again I have a healthy respect for them.  I have an old small dog, 4 lbs.  He wouldn't bite even if he wanted to.  He's 13 and has never once been aggressive BUT I always remove him from the room when we have guest who are not comfortable with dogs.  Its not fair they should be anxious when taking my dog to another room with door closed is a simple solution. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: December 11, 2018, 03:41:49 PM
Reamer or SAK blade for self defense - if you had no other choice I guess it would make sense to use whatever you had.

But I can’t imagine you would be able to walk away unscathed or even walk away.

Pepper spray, canes, kicks are all good advice. I’ve kicked a few hostile dogs and escaped. But probably won’t be as lucky if the dog was determined, big, in a pack, or had rabies.

I carry a locking knife folder but doubt I would have the acuity, time or reflexes to open that quickly or would want to even be that close to those teeth. But I’ve read stories of people who survived mountain lion attacks because of their knife folder. But I imagine if they had a choice they would go with a better weapon.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: December 11, 2018, 06:03:41 PM

Sorry to hear this lister.  With the prevalence of dogs this sucks.  Cynophobia is what its called.  I have a healthy respect myself.  I have been attacked a few times never bitten thankfully.  Its usually peoples dogs who should not have them in the first place.  These are dogs who are off leash or running free in the streets.  People who have lame fences where the dog can get out.  I went for a walk around my block and saw a large dog in the driveway of a home.  The owner was in his truck on the street.  I paused to see if he would secure his dog but he didn't.  We crossed the street all the while I had my finger on my pepper spray, ready.  He never once took hold of his dog and while the dog was just in the driveway I don't take chances. 

Well there are phobias that interfere with life more than this one so all is not bad.  Claustrophobia and agoraphobia come to mind. There is loads more closed spaces and open spaces that there are dogs...  :D

Besides, if I know the dog and the dog is not a total nutcase we mostly get along just fine.  :D

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #40 on: December 12, 2018, 12:33:03 PM
I'm not giving self-defense training, but as a former Amsterdam police cop, I have some experience in dealing with aggression.
Most important in self-defense is to enhance your situational awareness. Be prepared! The sooner you see trouble heading your way, the better, so you can take measures in time to diminish the risk.
The best way to survive aggression is to avoid it! Set aside your ego/pride and GO AWAY as fast as you can, or hide. Your ego may be harmed, but your ego can not be killed, unlike your body itself.
Only if you get cornered by someone or an aggressive animal, you have to fight your way out. Then you should use every means. The most deadly part of your body are your hands, feet, teeth and elbows. Almost anything that is harder than chocolate, can be used as a weapon. Your car keys, pliers, rolled up newspaper, caliper (pic), screw driver or tweezers (pic), stones or even sand or dust can be used.
Some SAK's can be formidable self defense items (pic). You can carry the Centurion unobtrusively in your hand or pocket with already opened screw drivers. Opening the blade is easy to perform if needed.
I am not advocating to use a tool as a weapon! However, if your life is on the brink and you did everything possible to avoid the threats, no one will blame you.

In my first post I wrote about the woman who stabbed her aggressor and he bled to death. Her action was judged as an act of justifiable self-defense and she was received no punishment.
PC125436.JPG
* PC125436.JPG (Filesize: 135.45 KB)
PC125437.JPG
* PC125437.JPG (Filesize: 187.77 KB)
PC125435.JPG
* PC125435.JPG (Filesize: 176.14 KB)
PC125432.JPG
* PC125432.JPG (Filesize: 115.33 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: December 12, 2018, 03:51:19 PM
@lister  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #42 on: December 12, 2018, 09:07:20 PM
self defense with a SAK:
steps to follow: ATTENTION

Awareness of your environment
Talking yourself out of the situation
Turn around and run 'till you're safe
Evade your assailants' attack, or attacks
Neutralise the threat (weapon or person)
Take your time to check you're unharmed/OK
Initiate safe retreat, cal 911 or leave the area quickly
Observe your surroundings in case there is still threat (other assailants, people following you...)
Never use the blade on the other person if you can.,. you'll both likely end up hurt bad

:hatsoff:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: December 12, 2018, 10:27:37 PM
I wonder how well throwing a sak, say swisschamp xlt, at someone would work.   :climber: :D

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 12, 2018, 10:38:47 PM
Very effective i would say  :D
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #45 on: December 15, 2018, 06:44:41 AM
I once managed to fend off wild dogs with... cheese!
I was in Sicily one summer and decided to go visit a small ghost town (built for local farmers during Fascist times by the regime, then quickly abandoned) in the middle of nowhere. As soon as I rode into the center of the town and stopped my motorscooter, about six to eight dogs appeared and started barking and moving quickly my way. I tried to scare them away with the vehicle "gas" sound, but they just kept approaching and before I knew it, they had gotten quite close, so that it would have been too late to turn my motorscooter around and flee, had they decided to attack. I then remembered I had a big chunk of cheese in my backpack, so I quickly grabbed it, started tearing away pieces from it with my hands and throwing them around. The dogs seemed to calm down and went for the cheese wiggling their tails. I then spent the whole time exploring the ghost town with the pack calmly following me, as I would from time to time turn around and throw another piece of cheese to them. When I had no more cheese, I came back to my vehicle and left.
Thinking back at it now, I don't know if those dogs would have actually attacked me in the first place, but back then I got quite scared, that's for sure!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:08:53 AM by shadowrider »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD