Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Restoring snap to a bent corkscrew, SAK Huntsman Lite

us Offline Photopaul65

Restoring snap to a bent corkscrew, SAK Huntsman Lite
on: December 15, 2018, 12:59:51 PM
Hello all,
I recently picked up a used Huntsman Lite on ebay. It was really dirty but in good shape, save for a slight outward bend to the corkscrew away from the frame. I bent the corkscrew back to it's proper position, as well as the slight outward bulge it created on the plate, but even after a thorough cleaning, it still lacks any kind of snap. Any way to to make this better? Would a good hammer hit to the pivot rivet do any good? It's on the same spring as the main blade, which still snaps nicely. It stays in place, it's just annoying that it's the only tool on it that doesn't snap.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Re: Restoring snap to a bent corkscrew, SAK Huntsman Lite
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 01:20:28 PM
The usefulness of a hammer hit on the pivot depends on the cause of the lack of snap. At a wild guess, it may make things worse rather than better, such as when the pivot is already a little tight. Have you tried whether lubricating the pivot helps? A thorough cleaning should always be followed by a drop of suitable oil.

By the way, welcome to :MTO:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 01:21:41 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 01:24:46 PM
What exactly do you mean with no snap? Is the tension weak (corkscrew feeling loose)? In that case the rivet may have broken. Is it very stuck? In that case it's probably dirt or a bent rivet.

A lack of oil also doesn't help, but if it is really really stuck I think a lack of oil isn't the biggest issue.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 01:26:05 PM by glenfiddich1983 »
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline cody6268

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 01:25:32 PM
If I were you, I'd send it off to Victorinox. Doing it that way eliminates any chance of messing up. I sent off three: a Pioneer, SwissTool, and Artisan (an 84mm Fielmdaster).  At minimal cost to me (minus the cost from sending it via UPS); they replaced the Pioneer and SwissTool; and rebuilt the Artisan.

Problem is that they have a tendency to replace stuff you don't want fixed. The Artisan was 50 years old; and while the large blade showed sharpening and wear, it was in good shape; but they replaced it anyway when I didn't ask them to. Now the funny thing was that the saw was dull; I didn't tell them to fix that, and they didn't.

us Offline Photopaul65

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 02:53:39 PM
It has tension, but just doesn't snap. You can't feel the spring tension build at the point where it should to snap it closed. It was cleaned and lubed at all pivot points, cleaned as well as I can without soaking in high powered stuff due to the LED light. It does appear looking through a loupe that there is still some fine lint trapped under it, but it doesn't appear to be much.
I also just got an Explorer off ebay, so maybe I will send this off for repairs. What did the repairs cost you cody6268?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 03:11:44 PM
It has tension, but just doesn't snap. You can't feel the spring tension build at the point where it should to snap it closed. It was cleaned and lubed at all pivot points, cleaned as well as I can without soaking in high powered stuff due to the LED light. It does appear looking through a loupe that there is still some fine lint trapped under it, but it doesn't appear to be much.
I also just got an Explorer off ebay, so maybe I will send this off for repairs. What did the repairs cost you cody6268?

I think I pre-approved $5 each on the SwissTool and Pioneer, and $10 on the Artisan.

us Offline Photopaul65

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 03:12:24 PM

By the way, welcome to :MTO:

Thanks! Been a long time since I've been an active forum user, but I'm trending back to them because of the smurfshow most Facebook groups are.  :D

us Offline Photopaul65

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 03:14:56 PM

I think I pre-approved $5 each on the SwissTool and Pioneer, and $10 on the Artisan.
[/quote]

Wow, that's way cheaper than I expected, thanks Cody! How long did it take to get them back?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 03:32:58 PM

Wow, that's way cheaper than I expected, thanks Cody! How long did it take to get them back?
[/quote]

I think about 3 weeks from the time I dropped them off at UPS to the time they were delivered to me by Fedex.

us Offline Photopaul65

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 03:37:26 PM

I think about 3 weeks from the time I dropped them off at UPS to the time they were delivered to me by Fedex.
[/quote]

:tu:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 02:41:10 AM
In my experience, weak snap at the corkscrew can indicate a hairline crack in the liner.  Examine it carefully using a magnifying glass and see if you can see any cracks in it.  If you do, sending it Victorinox is really the only fix.

Here's a Baby Climber I took apart because it had no snap at the corkscrew.  When I got the scale off, I could just see the hairline crack in the liner that passed through the rivet hole.  The very second I put the drill bit on it to drill it out, it cracked all the way through. 

Good luck.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD