Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Was the old grey mag lens made in two sizes?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Was the old grey mag lens made in two sizes?
on: December 21, 2018, 10:13:48 PM
I have to ask because I was just looking at my Passenger and old Explorer and realized the grey mag lens IS two different sizes!  Not by much but they are and it isn't an illusion.  Anyone else notice this?

The pic shows the Passenger on left and the Explorer on the right! 

Holding up a steel ruler and measuring in tenths, the Passenger is just a little over 5/10th's and the Explorer is close to 6/10th's so just a fraction bigger on the Explorer.

Passenger_Explorer2.jpg
* Passenger_Explorer2.jpg (Filesize: 93.66 KB)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:19:08 PM by sir_mike »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Was the old grey mag lens made in two sizes?
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 11:53:21 PM
I thought the only difference between those two versions was the bevel around the edge. :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 12:30:13 AM
I thought the only difference between those two versions was the bevel around the edge. :think:

That maybe the reason for them being a little different size, it might be that the bevel allows the Explorer to show just a small bit more glass but they both might be the exact same size!

Offline MiniChamp

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 02:22:26 AM

That maybe the reason for them being a little different size, it might be that the bevel allows the Explorer to show just a small bit more glass but they both might be the exact same size!
As far as I know, the difference is only in the bevel. The diameter of the exposed portion of the glass should be 14mm in both types. The change between them occurred around 1985-86. (Since there are always some production variations, it's possible that one can find some very small differences of less than 0.5mm between samples, but I think that such small differences should not be interpreted as being anything more than random production variations.) More information is available in this thread.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 04:59:31 AM
I have nothing to add to this discussion other than to say, I love the old gray mag lens. So powerful.
I've moved on to carry a fresnel lens in my wallet but on a couple of occasions missed having the greater magnification.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%