Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

(Not) My Design for a Multitool

J-sews · 136 · 19056

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
(Not) My Design for a Multitool
on: February 25, 2007, 10:51:33 PM
I earlier posted this topic elsewhere, but it seems appropriate for The Mod Squad forum.

Lonediver first told me about this site a couple years ago: My Design for a Multi-Tool. The article applies more to basic multitool design issues than mods, but I still think the guy has some valid points. What he talks about is taking the best features of these three tools and combining them into one:

The adjustable channel-lock type pliers seem like they would be handy. Especially for folks who need to grip larger diameter objects, like steel pipe or bolt heads, and would prefer something other than standard needlenose pliers.

Another good idea is the ratchet driver mechanism. Think about how clumsy it is to remove a screw with your multitool, especially in tight clearance areas. Oftentimes I can only get half a turn, then I have to disengage, start over, etc, etc, until the screw is out. A ratchet with hex driver socket would solve that.

All combined into one device, it might not replace a regular needlenose plier multitool as your EDC, but it would make a fine compliment to one.

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Re: (Not) My Design for a Multitool
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 11:20:44 PM
That looks pretty good.  This is the kind of thinking I like.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 11:45:07 PM
This sounds kinda dumb I know, but why have the fastener near the head?  I am imagining this monster wouldn't be a folding plier type?

It does look pretty cool though!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 02:19:35 AM
This sounds kinda dumb I know, but why have the fastener near the head?  I am imagining this monster wouldn't be a folding plier type?
Def

Okay, I "cleaned up" his graphics a bit. Took away the big fasteners up near the plier head, and tried to convey the idea that each handle and plier-half are one piece.

* MyDesignforaMultiTool1.jpg (Filesize: 20.05 KB)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 02:24:41 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 03:41:12 AM
It wasn't a comment on the pic, just wondering what you guys had in mind!

It kind of reminds me of the Crunch, although I imagine it will be quite different in the end.  I think it looks pretty cool though, and I would grab one if it hit production somewhere.  I am kind of sick of the "not quite needlenose" plier heads on many multis.  They are basically too weak for blunt nose type jobs, and not slender enough for needle nose jobs.  I'd love to see more variations.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 06:30:56 AM
I'd like to see this head on that tool.
_DSC0004 (Small).JPG
* _DSC0004 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 14.68 KB)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:38:56 PM by Tom Munch »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 02:23:42 PM

Me too Tom! Please let us know and post pictures when you get it finished.   :laugh:

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 04:32:53 PM

* 00945320000.jpg (Filesize: 5.61 KB)

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 04:33:18 PM

* 00945455000.jpg (Filesize: 6.27 KB)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:36:10 PM by Tom Munch »

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 04:34:09 PM

* 00945431000.jpg (Filesize: 3.76 KB)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:36:25 PM by Tom Munch »

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 04:35:00 PM

* 00945407000.jpg (Filesize: 6.14 KB)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:36:38 PM by Tom Munch »

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 04:38:19 PM

I can't find the Craftsman I pictured here.  It is French made.
_DSC0004 (Small).JPG
* _DSC0004 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 14.68 KB)

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 04:40:07 PM

Me too Tom! Please let us know and post pictures when you get it finished.   :laugh:

Hey, I don't have the facilities to make this.  Wait, I do have a machinist friend who might do this for me.  Now you've got the gears turning, but this isn't my project!

Tom

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 02:11:14 AM
Hey, I don't have the facilities to make this.  Wait, I do have a machinist friend who might do this for me.  Now you've got the gears turning, but this isn't my project!

Tom

A word of warning; Be careful of those machinist guys, we they can't be trusted!  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 03:55:19 AM
I can believe that , it must be a result of all the milling around that they do, or could it be because they are hard pressed , maybe because they just lathe around a lot .  :P

:D :laugh: :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 01:42:29 AM
It seems like a common theme so far in this thread is that we would like to see a multitool based upon a channel-lock type adjustable plier. The only factory ones that I know of were made in France. The design evolved a bit between the late 1980's and now, but the tools themselves are definitely light-duty. Below is a picture of an example from Le Depanneur.

(If you look closely at the plier pivot, you can see the three different adjustment locations.)

What I'd really prefer in a mod is a multitool based on a beefy, medium-sized set of channel lock jaws.
Le Depanneur.jpg
* Le Depanneur.jpg (Filesize: 72.24 KB)

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 01:56:42 AM
Do you guys like this plier head?  This again is the Knipex Plier Wrench.

From the website here:  http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=559&no_cache=1&L=1

A superior tool for gripping, holding and bending. Nuts and unions of all sizes up to 35 mm / 1 3/8" (86 03 180), 46 mm / 1 ¾" (86 03 250) and 60 mm / 2 3/8" (86 03 300) across flats can be tightened and released with the parallel gripping jaws. The cam action on the jaws allows ratchet action to operate over the hole range.

The smooth parallel jaws avoid damage to plated and soft fittings. The lever ratio is greater than 10 - 1 for strong gripping power.

Animation

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=451&L=1

* 8603180_01.gif (Filesize: 7.04 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 02:07:06 AM
That is pretty cool... I like that!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 02:07:45 AM
I like the concept! (Although I've never tried one.) It seems like the perfect combination of plier and wrench type functions.

Are the jaw surfaces serrated at all? Or completely smooth?

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 02:34:39 AM
The site says they are completely smooth.  I have a 7" pair on order that should get here Tuesday.  I don't know if they are very effective as a plier, but I'm hoping  they are.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 02:36:21 AM
I guess they are very popular with motorcyclists.

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=560&L=1

* 8603h264_01.jpg (Filesize: 23.57 KB)

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 02:43:20 AM

* 875125014.jpg (Filesize: 24.36 KB)

* 85012504.jpg (Filesize: 30.01 KB)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 02:44:39 AM
Where did you order from?
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 04:31:15 AM
I'd like the Knipex Plier Wrench head with the ratcheting bit driver & bits on one handle & a few tools in the other handle. 

The only thing this lacks is having the screwdriver & wrench/pliers separate for turning a screw while holding the nut.

I tried to do a mockup of this, but my Photoshop skills are lacking today.

My Photoshop skills leave a bit to be desired as well! (Please try not to notice the overlapping Phillips screwdriver!)

What I did was merge a Knipex plier-wrench head with a set of Kershaw multitool handles. I like how the Kershaw has a one-hand opening blade on the outside of the handle. The handle metal is folded so that it does not cut into the user's hand. I figure there should still be room for a 1/4" hex drive ratchet housed alongside the knife blade. All other files, blades, saws, etc would be in the opposite handle.

If you've ever carried a Kershaw, you are aware of the one significant downside of this arrangement: The plier head does not "fold up" into a more compact package, like on most other multitools. The entire tool is bigger and longer than many folks prefer to carry.

I think any multitool based upon the Knipex plier-wrench would be the same way.
Kershaw-Knipex.jpg
* Kershaw-Knipex.jpg (Filesize: 45.38 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 11:56:14 AM
I don't have a Kershaw so I can't say for certain, but wouldn't it be very awkward to use a knife with so much tool sticking out the opposite side?

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 03:58:29 PM
I'm EDC'ing a dedicated folder now, so I could live without a knife in there, but no manufacturer would leave one out.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: March 07, 2007, 04:29:23 AM
I don't have a Kershaw so I can't say for certain, but wouldn't it be very awkward to use a knife with so much tool sticking out the opposite side?

Def

The Kershaw tool is for sure a long one, but that really doesn't seem to affect the use of the knife blade. (Not for me anyhow.)
kershawknife.jpg
* kershawknife.jpg (Filesize: 47.28 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: March 07, 2007, 04:45:09 AM
Yep, I follow you.
I guess maybe I didn't elaborate very well in regards to the "folded" metal. Notice how on the Kershaw tool the sheet metal handle is actually folded in an "S" -shaped cross section? This technique was first introduced on the Leatherman Wave I believe. It allows the knife blades to be accessed from the outside of the handle, yet still provides plenty of surface area for your palm to squeeze against when using the pliers.

It's a good compromise; when opened, the sharp edge of the knife blade is in-line with the edge of the tool, for easier cutting. And yet, your palm is not being dug into by the handle's thin sheet metal, as was the case with the Leatherman PST and Super Tool.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%