Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

(Not) My Design for a Multitool

J-sews · 136 · 18927

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: (Not) My Design for a Multitool
Reply #120 on: December 19, 2007, 04:18:19 AM
I'm certainly interested in hearing more about it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline damota

Reply #121 on: December 19, 2007, 04:03:01 PM
By golly though, you have to give the fellow credit for trying!

Basically he's taken individual tools and made them into a single device which is more useful to his trade (firefighter). Quite honestly, the result appears to be more functional than some of Tim Leatherman's early prototypes ;)

Do not get me wrong Bob I think the tool is great. Its his comparison to an I-phone I was questioning. Not the most useful gadget to compare a functional tool with. Especially if he wants to sell it as a tool.

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #122 on: December 23, 2007, 03:50:42 AM
By golly though, you have to give the fellow credit for trying!

Basically he's taken individual tools and made them into a single device which is more useful to his trade (firefighter). Quite honestly, the result appears to be more functional than some of Tim Leatherman's early prototypes ;)

Do not get me wrong Bob I think the tool is great. Its his comparison to an I-phone I was questioning. Not the most useful gadget to compare a functional tool with. Especially if he wants to sell it as a tool.

Dave

Good point!  :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: March 10, 2008, 06:37:10 PM
Not wanting to let this project go.  I've accumulated a few more bits & pieces of tools that can go into this multi.  I lost interest while I was enjoying my Skeletool, but the honeymoon is finally over with that & I'm ready to look back into this Multitool.org Munch tool or whatever you guys want to call it.

We never did decide if the utility blade was enough by itself or whether we'd prefer a regular blade.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #124 on: March 11, 2008, 01:19:08 AM
I can't remember...can we have both?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #125 on: April 20, 2008, 04:05:37 AM
I am not much of a modder but couldn't the chasis of the Leatherman Pruners be considered, they have similar shape for the slip joint pliers just turned opposite way and curved a little more. just a thought though. really neat idea you have like Tom has said i generally use channel lock or adjustable wrench not needlenose(as much anyway) :D

Offline doinitall89

• He who is not busy living is busy dying -Bob Dylan
Reply #126 on: January 16, 2009, 05:24:54 AM
This is what modding multi tools is about! This thread is AWESOME! Reading about people actually putting their heads together and talk about actually making something completely different to the multi tool world is very refreshing!! I just wanted to know if any more thought has been given to the munch tool? I'd love to help any way I can, be it just ideas or sketches or what have you. 

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #127 on: January 16, 2009, 02:51:11 PM
If this tool design sees cardboard (or better still, foam) models.. and someone here does proper sketches with dimensional info.. and I can get good pictures of the pliers head being used..

I could mock it up in 3-D with Rhino. I can't spend a million hours lighting it and playing with surfaces, but I could provide a series of basic images. And those with the means to do so could have the file and be able to make changes or at least spin it around and have a good look.

It would take time, but.. and I admit to being rusty on my nurbs modeling. I am sure I could still pull it off.

G

Offline doinitall89

Reply #128 on: January 17, 2009, 06:15:35 PM
I was just thinking about using Google Sketch-Up to try to mock it up as well. This is a really interesting idea. I'll be seeing if I cant get somekind of cardboard mock up too. If that's alright with everyone who was originally involved with this idea that is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #129 on: January 18, 2009, 06:10:19 AM
I was just thinking about using Google Sketch-Up to try to mock it up as well. This is a really interesting idea. I'll be seeing if I cant get somekind of cardboard mock up too. If that's alright with everyone who was originally involved with this idea that is.

All the ideas discussed in this thread belong to the forum. As members of the forum, you gentlemen are welcome to help develope them! :salute: :)

Offline doinitall89

Reply #130 on: January 18, 2009, 08:01:07 PM
Thank you very much. I've been really interested in developing a completely custom multitool for a while now. My other thread http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,8695.0.html is aimed at this goal too.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: January 19, 2009, 03:28:12 AM
I hardly ever check in here much - just too many things on my plate, but the activity on this thread triggered an email.  As far as any of my ideas go, I'm happy to have you guys take this on if you want.  Let me know your progress.  I'd love to see this idea become an actual tool.

I guess I should check in to see what appeared at the SHOT show at least, huh?

Tom

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #132 on: January 19, 2009, 04:13:38 AM
Good to see you again Tom- I guess when I am wondering how you are doing I should just post here huh?  :D

Hope all is well!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: January 19, 2009, 04:26:02 AM
Yeah!  I'm subscribed to a bunch of threads over here that get my attention occasionally.  I wish I had time to follow what's up.  You guys write so much!

I recently switched from a Palm Treo to BlackBerry Bold, so the learning curve & switching my business databases has been taking up all my attention, & the BlackBerry forums & beta tests have been taking up all my writing time.  I miss you guys though.

I'll try to be a little more present for at least a couple months before things get crazy again.

Tom

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #134 on: January 19, 2009, 10:59:36 AM
Hey tom welcome back!
S

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #135 on: January 19, 2009, 01:39:20 PM