Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bit holder on Signal with source for MUT part

us Offline tommywp

Bit holder on Signal with source for MUT part
on: December 16, 2018, 04:46:27 PM
What’s up fellas. So I saw this post a while back about how the MUT bit holder fits well on the Signal. 

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,72408.msg1495196.html#msg1495196

Thought it was a great idea but figured the MUT part was too hard to come by. Then I came across this dude who had posted design files for the bit holder piece.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:784320/apps/print/#apps

Saved the file for free in .stl format, uploaded it to Shapeways.com and had the bit holder 3D printed in ‘black professional plastic’ for $10 + $5 shipping (got a message that some the walls were to thin in the design file but choose the “fix it for me” option and the bit still fit fine.)

Cut the plastic down to size, carved it out some to make room for a bigger bit, drilled a hole to let the Signal post through, and applied some VHB tape (which is the MVP of most mods that I do)

The pliers still squeeze all the way so that the tips touch, but anything higher then the plastic piece will start to interfere. The little bit that’s in there in the 3rd pic is where the bit will need to sit so that it doesn’t interfere with using the pliers. So the large bit needs to be cut down to the lock indentation to get to the correct size...as shown in the 3rd picture...kind of like a medium bit.

It makes the Signal a little too wide in the hand, but this is as thin as you can get the plastic piece without grinding down / removing the Signal’s post. Not sure  I’m happy with it, and playing with the idea of grinding down the Signal post and taking half the height off the plastic piece. But that would obviously be a permanent change to an expensive tool and I haven’t committed yet.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a nicely shaped flathead if I cut the big bit to fit...all I have is a Dremmel and I’m not sure I can get a smooth enough grind.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:52:44 PM by tommywp »

us Offline tommywp

Re: Bit holder on Signal with source for MUT part
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 04:47:13 PM
More pics
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:55:42 PM by tommywp »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 06:09:22 PM
Very cool !   :like:

I think you will need a bench grinder or belt sander to mod the bit.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 09:01:40 PM
I :like: that a lot :o very nice tommy  :like: :like:

I agree with Steve about the grinder and belt sander :salute: it would be possible with a dremel but might not get as clean of a look :think: :cheers:

us Offline tommywp

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 11:38:28 PM
Doesn’t seem to be much interest in this one, but figured I’d close the loop for posterity. Went back to the drawing board and carved out another one of those 3D printed pieces to hold the fullsize bit, and and took around 2 mm off the perimeter of the bottom so that the strip that was left in the middle fit into the whistle’s hole, then VHB taped the whole bottom so that it doesn’t move. This is the defiantely the best way to get the full size bit on the Signal. The fact that it sits 2 mm lower makes a difference, and placement on this side (as opposed to the post side like I originally had it) puts the bit holder on your palm instead of your finger tips when using the knife...has a much better feel.

The 3D printed plastic proved to be very strong and easy to work with. Probably took around 3 hours to carve out the piece with a Dremmel, files and a knife.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:45:26 PM by tommywp »

us Offline tommywp

Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 11:51:34 PM
And here she is with her partner in crime...2 oddball tools from their respective brands, but combined they’re one of my favorite carries. Don’t even notice it’s there with the Executive in the watch pocket and Signal clipped inside the waste band.

Gonna try to swap in a Wingman flat head / pry bar for the Signal can opener at some point.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:57:41 PM by tommywp »

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 01:33:02 AM
that looks really good tommy how does it stay in the whistle slot?

i might pinch that idea off you, i was looking to replace the useless whistle and file onmine.

wouldnt it be easier to adjust the 3d image before getting it printed?

us Offline tommywp

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 05:40:10 AM
that looks really good tommy how does it stay in the whistle slot?

i might pinch that idea off you, i was looking to replace the useless whistle and file onmine.

wouldnt it be easier to adjust the 3d image before getting it printed?

Yes, would definitely  be easier to adjust the file before 3D printing and would look better too. I printed up 2 of the bit holders as is (ie. with the original design that fits in the MUT) with the plan of figuring out how to best fit them on th Signal once they were on hand.

If your serious about updating the file, I can give you some measurements on how to adjust the original (but I might want a copy to print myself :multi:)

Re how it stays on, it’s a combination of the VHB tape and the strip of plastic that I left in the middle that sits in the whistle hole. The plastic in the whistle hole isn’t even close to sufficient on its own, but once you add the VHB tape it provides just enough structure to keep everything tight. If you’ve never used VHB tape, it provides a strangely strong bond but pries up easily. It really is a marvel.  I used this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y7DNQ0/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_i_ZcXhCbN0CBAJD

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 02:55:23 AM
ill take a look but im not that savvy with 3d modeling although its just manipulating the mut file a little.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 03:25:58 PM
Whats up fellas. Spent a rainy Labor Day adjusting the design file with hopes that the revised bit holder will take advantage of the slight lip on the inside of the whistle hole to clip in (plus the piece that clips in is sized to fill the entire hole so that should make it more secure). I’m definitely a beginner with these 3D modeling programs, and a lot of my measuring was “that looks pretty close to 1mm”, and I’m not even sure the little clip legs will bend as envisioned, but I’m optimistic ! (Even if it takes some filing down or VHB help.)

Now the 2 week wait for Shapeways to print.

:cheers:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 03:33:12 PM
Very nice work, tommywp! :like:

Looking forward to seeing V1.2. :popcorn:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 02:00:50 PM
Whats up fellas. Spent a rainy Labor Day adjusting the design file with hopes that the revised bit holder will take advantage of the slight lip on the inside of the whistle hole to clip in (plus the piece that clips in is sized to fill the entire hole so that should make it more secure). I’m definitely a beginner with these 3D modeling programs, and a lot of my measuring was “that looks pretty close to 1mm”, and I’m not even sure the little clip legs will bend as envisioned, but I’m optimistic ! (Even if it takes some filing down or VHB help.)

Now the 2 week wait for Shapeways to print.

:cheers:

This is looking great and I will be following with interest. Let me suggest you check out OnShape if you really want to be serious about design. Its FREE as long as you don't mind files being public, it has nearly all functions of Fusion 360 and can be used in any browser on ANY computer because processing is done in the cloud. Cheers.
H.G.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 04:00:36 AM
What’s up fellas. Figure I’d give an update and it’s been a failure thus far. Got a message from Shapeways that they couldn’t print my file bc of issue with the design. Thought I fixed them and got it printed, but the product has three issue: 1.the nubs that I put on the legs that went into the whistle hole were too wide, 2. There was a problem with the file that I didn’t notice until printed where there was a ramp on one end if the flat base, 3. The rails at the top of the piece that were supposed to hold the bit in place weren’t big enough and the bit slides al over. The first and second would be easy enough to fix in the file, the third would be harder. Will updated if/when I reprint. But kind of demotivated right now.

Offline Plyearl

• New User
Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 01:25:47 AM
Hello,

Sorry to resurrect.

I can't find the design on thingiverse anymore. does anyone know where the downloadable file might be available?

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 08:41:01 PM
Looks good,

I personally have the ones designed by @metrogradesgoods that I got from Shapeways. They work great.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%