Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why don't all bottle openers lock?

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Why don't all bottle openers lock?
on: May 20, 2021, 07:23:29 AM
So I recently discovered that the bottle openers on Evo models lock when pressure is applied (looks like through a notch engaging a post or something in front of the pivot) and thought what a fantastic piece of design. However my immediate thought was... why don't they all do that?

I know that 111mm ones utilise the liner lock, but 91/93mm don't have any lock for driver use. I assume this is a case of this being a 'Wenger' thing and keeping them pure, but I'd have thought the value of the feature and standardising would have carried it across  :dunno:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Why don't all bottle openers lock?
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 11:57:45 AM
So I recently discovered that the bottle openers on Evo models lock when pressure is applied (looks like through a notch engaging a post or something in front of the pivot) and thought what a fantastic piece of design. However my immediate thought was... why don't they all do that?

I know that 111mm ones utilise the liner lock, but 91/93mm don't have any lock for driver use. I assume this is a case of this being a 'Wenger' thing and keeping them pure, but I'd have thought the value of the feature and standardising would have carried it across  :dunno:

I thought the same. Don't know if there's a patent or something, preventing this design to be used in other knives. Or if the cost to adapt the machines to produce this new design isn't worth it.

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 12:55:55 PM
Maybe because bottle openers don't need locks??
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 01:09:13 PM

It used to be a Wenger patent, pretty sure it belongs to Victorionox now if it is not already run out.

I think Victorinox has done a simple financial decision. Making the necessary changes to the 91/93mm line (change machine/automation, probably some slight design changes etc.) costs money and not enough people are asking for it (I guess those that like that, simply get a Wenger). So, why spend money on something that most likely won't earn you money.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 01:21:59 PM
Maybe because bottle openers don't need locks??

It's not just a bottle opener, it's awlso a screwdriver, and those can benefit from having a lock.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 01:50:25 PM
My ca.30 year old Tinker's screwdriver/bottle opener stays put at 90 degree (half cock) or 180 degree (full open) with just good design - a squared tang and strong spring.
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 01:57:09 PM
It's not just a bottle opener, it's awlso a screwdriver, and those can benefit from having a lock.
Santos is right, the locking mechanism is for the driver function, not the the opener.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 02:09:05 PM
From what I remember Wenger had the lock, Victorinox had the 90 degree stop (halfstop).  It was a factor that you could take into account,  to decide between them, at the time.

This continued even after they joined.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 02:58:44 PM
It's the can opener that could do with locking, that thing can be really painful when it folds back on your finger.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 06:49:11 PM
Thanks for the clarity guys, I guess they probably just kept the Wenger tooling instead of merging designs  :salute:

Agree the can opener should have one as well!

My ca.30 year old Tinker's screwdriver/bottle opener stays put at 90 degree (half cock) or 180 degree (full open) with just good design - a squared tang and strong spring.

It's a good thing that as humans we can always perfectly apply downward pressure in a way to avoid closure of non locking drivers, certainly the usefulness of a safety measure is best measured annecdotally rather than just the principle of safety first  :salute:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 07:41:14 PM
If I’m doing something with one of the tools that I think could cause it to fold up on me, I’ll often just choke up on the tool to prevent that problem.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 09:52:53 PM
It's the can opener that could do with locking, that thing can be really painful when it folds back on your finger.
Tell me about not!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 09:10:10 AM
Ouch, zrxoa1 - that looks painful! Hope it cures quickly - I know from painful experience that it’s surprisingly easy to keep bumping damaged fingers….. :tu:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 09:27:15 AM
OUCH!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 10:34:17 AM
That looks really painful. You do know the can opener is for opening cans right? Not fingers. The instruction pamphlet is very clear about that.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 11:14:23 AM
That looks really painful. You do know the can opener is for opening cans right? Not fingers. The instruction pamphlet is very clear about that.

Aha! but does it say you can't put it in the microwave with your dog?   :whistle:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 11:28:02 AM
Aha! but does it say you can't put it in the microwave with your dog?   :whistle:
I would hope so because that scenario is, as we all know, a common one.

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #17 on: May 22, 2021, 12:26:15 AM
I hope you didn't sew that cut with the reamer just to get a badge.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 22, 2021, 02:35:56 AM
I haven't fiddled with an Evo to know...

But might'n't the SDs with the pressure-lock not have a half stop?  Is it that you either get a half stop on the "Vic" models or the pressure-lock on the Evo models... but not both... ?  just a guess.

I think it's another ploy to make us buy more than one. 

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 03:06:46 AM
I haven't fiddled with an Evo to know...

But might'n't the SDs with the pressure-lock not have a half stop?  Is it that you either get a half stop on the "Vic" models or the pressure-lock on the Evo models... but not both... ?  just a guess.

I think it's another ploy to make us buy more than one.

The Evo doesn't have a half stop, but mechanically I don't see why they'd be incompatable? Half stops generally just require a flat portion on the tang and a cut groove wouldn't interfere with that  :think:

Probably a case of 'brand' identity/not wanting to spend cash on hybridising

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #20 on: May 26, 2021, 03:58:55 AM
Here is the large driver side of an old Wenger Forester.

As you can see, a tab protruding from the bottom of the driver's spine, A, inserts itself into a notch on the backside spring, B, when the driver is fully opened and subjected to pressure. There is no mechanical reason it couldn't have a half-stop and the lock at the same time.

In practice, having used both Victorinox and Wenger drivers extensively in commercial construction and theatre tech environments, I haven't noticed a substantial usability difference between locking and non-locking SAK drivers. In theory, sure, but in practice, not really.

That said, the half-stop and lock could, in their current forms, co-exist on the same driver.

br Offline RicardoBorges

• Truth, Love, Reason, Merit... Camões
Reply #21 on: May 26, 2021, 05:32:07 AM
Tell me about not!!!

Dear ZRXOA1,

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

You have to thank God for the fact that the doctor did not have to do the stitches with a SAK!

I hope you get well soon!

Greetings from Brazil

Greetings from Brazil!!!

Erros meus, má fortuna, amor ardente (My mistakes, bad fortune, burning love) Camões

Offline SwissMix2020

Reply #22 on: May 30, 2021, 03:19:19 AM
The only tool I have to be careful with on a 91mm SAK is the awl/reamer.  The awl/reamer could really benefit with a locking mechanism

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 02, 2021, 03:23:28 PM
 :iagree: :tu:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #24 on: June 02, 2021, 04:36:33 PM
Tell me about not!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That stitching looks pretty loose. Hope the healing went ok. Some Superglue might have helped that severe cut, too. Never occurred to me that sort of can opener cut was a risk. Thanks for posting. I will add some extra vigilance to my can opening, henceforth.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%