Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you know when to be patient for a SAK?

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
How do you know when to be patient for a SAK?
on: December 17, 2018, 08:42:29 PM
Confession, I'm not patient, though I can see the monetary value in it.
Just the other day a mint-in-box Expedition Kit came up for sale for $85 +$6 shipping.  This is a $210 item at victorinox.com.

I kept waiting for one and didn't find one within a few months, so I bought the Victorinox online one when I had a 20% off coupon.
Long story short, I did buy the eBay one so I can keep it pristine for my collection.  :tu:

But here's the thing.  How long should a person wait before buying something?  For instance, two things are on my want to buy list that are not particularly hard to find, one is the 2017 Christmas knife and the other is the 125 year SwissCard.  Both items are on eBay, yet are more than I'm willing to pay.  :rant:

My worry is that I'll "try and be patient" then the opportunity will be gone and I'll have to pay more than they are now.  How do you know when to stop being patient and buy the darn thing already?  :ahhh
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:49:32 PM by FolderBeholder »
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: How do you know when to be patient for a SAK?
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 08:46:51 PM
That's the gambler's dilemma....

"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, and know when to walk away....."

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 09:26:01 PM
Nobody can answer such a question in your place.

I try to keep large purchases restricted to only once every 3 months... but I buy faster when I get too anxious...

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:45:52 PM
Confession, I'm not patient, though I can see the monetary value in it.
Just the other day a mint-in-box Expedition Kit came up for sale for $85 +$6 shipping.  This is a $210 item at victorinox.com.

I kept waiting for one and didn't find one within a few months, so I bought the Victorinox online one when I had a 20% off coupon.
Long story short, I did buy the eBay one so I can keep it pristine for my collection.  :tu:

But here's the thing.  How long should a person wait before buying something?  For instance, two things are on my want to buy list that are not particularly hard to find, one is the 2017 Christmas knife and the other is the 125 year SwissCard.  Both items are on eBay, yet are more than I'm willing to pay.  :rant:

My worry is that I'll "try and be patient" then the opportunity will be gone and I'll have to pay more than they are now.  How do you know when to stop being patient and buy the darn thing already?  :ahhh
The 2017 knife. I bought it on a German site for € 39,-. Maybe helpful?

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 01:52:34 AM
Thank you for your thoughts on the matter.
I think I'll just keep on being impatient for the most part, it has served me well so far.
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I know what I like and I buy it. 
Thankfully most of my wants are not too outrageously priced.  :tu: Putting aside the Wenger Giant of course.  :facepalm:

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 02:22:15 AM
I am quite certain I cannot help you with this.....gasoline on the fire so to speak.  :rofl:

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 02:59:59 AM
I am quite certain I cannot help you with this.....gasoline on the fire so to speak.  :rofl:
I'm in good company.  :cheers:

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 04:33:10 AM
Not sure if anyone else does this but I have a spreadsheet based on what I have seen certain items go for on auction sites and from that I have narrowed down my top 5/10/etc for what I am willing to pay if I see one pop up.

From the above list there are certain versions of items that I have made a point of just purchasing it if I am able to afford it at that time because they are either A. Super duper rare or B. If I actually plan to replace whatever my current EDC is with that particular item.

Examples of previous buys like these were the Ueli Steck Wenger Titanium ( I actually carry this on dates sometimes to gauge the woman's reaction to my hobbies  :whistle: ) , a smooth red alox Vic Voyageur and an Atwood G2 Ghost in Raw Bar 3V steel.

The red Voyageur took the better part of a decade to find and shortly afterwards I parted with it for a nice trade that ended up netting me a mint silver ribbed Voyageur(my current work EDC), a NOS 84mm Golfer and several Atwoods.

Aside from that, so long as my bills are paid, my 401K/IRA is capped and I'm not second guessing my purchases/dreading my CC bill then I think I'm doing ok when it comes to spending.

Of course, now that I'm on an OC and colored Pioneer/Soldier quest I may have to join a 12 step program for problem collectors (hoarders).

Hi, my name is Wes, I have an Alox problem.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 06:45:10 AM
Well done Wes.  That is a great way to keep spending in check and keep you disciplined.  I am pretty patient.  Moreso than needed.  I also dont want to be the guy that pays the premium for something I can get a deal on.  That being said, I know its not always the best course of action to wait.  The item either is no longer available or now I've got to pay 20% more.  Man I dislike when that happens  :twak:

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 07:20:50 AM
Firstly - Expedition Kit? I like that idea though the price has also put me off so far .... so you’re in good company FoBo with that one. And that price would have me biting ...

So when is the right time to pull the trigger? I’ve missed out on SAK’s from time to time but there’s also something about a hunter stalking their prey to this and a sense of satisfaction in finding something at the right price/time. And a delicious sense of anticipation tinged with frustration its not in my hands already.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 08:01:22 AM
My experience with quite rare/expensive SAKs (like my 108mm NATO trooper and Fireman or rare alox pieces like the Electrician Duo or my mint condition Old Cross First Mate) is that when you wait long enough sooner or later there will be an opportunity to get it either for a good price (not necessarily a bargain, but still significantly less than what most of them sell for) or for a good trade.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 01:01:53 PM

"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, and know when to walk away....."

Isn't that about housekeepers and bed sheets?!

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 02:21:35 PM
Hi, my name is Wes, I have an Alox problem.
I feel for ya, those can be pricy, but they sure hold their value and exceed it; always a good risk when priced affordably.  :tu:

That being said, I know its not always the best course of action to wait.  The item either is no longer available or now I've got to pay 20% more.  Man I dislike when that happens  :twak:
Me too! I didn't know about certain 58mm LE scales and try and find those after their inaugural year..ouch, $40 each and more!  :ahhh
Firstly - Expedition Kit? I like that idea though the price has also put me off so far .... so you’re in good company FoBo with that one. And that price would have me biting ...
That Expedition Kit is the one that has me questioning my ability to be patient since I found for such a bargain a few months later.  :cheers:
My experience with quite rare/expensive SAKs (like my 108mm NATO trooper and Fireman or rare alox pieces like the Electrician Duo or my mint condition Old Cross First Mate) is that when you wait long enough sooner or later there will be an opportunity to get it either for a good price (not necessarily a bargain, but still significantly less than what most of them sell for) or for a good trade.
I'm learning this lesson.  :hatsoff:

Isn't that about housekeepers and bed sheets?!

:think: :think:
:rofl: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%