Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ATTENTION PLEASE- PLEASE READ, VERY IMPORTANT

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Re: ATTENTION PLEASE- PLEASE READ, VERY IMPORTANT
Reply #240 on: January 03, 2019, 03:58:38 PM
Not sure this offering is on the market, but could there be a kind of second tier ("archival") storage for older pics that haven't been looked at for, say, 3 years? With slightly slower loading times than the more recently accessed ones? Users would need to be warned about those of course, but that could be doable...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #241 on: January 03, 2019, 04:25:39 PM
The attachments system in SMF leaves a lot to be desired. Management is a very painful process (and cumbersome for the server resources) and with the approximately 40GB / 250+ thousand files it doesn't get any easier. It took several hours to sync that between our old server and new.

512k should be more than enough for an attached image, it's actually very generous. To be completely honest, images larger than 1000 pixels (on the long side) are not needed on the forum. Very few people are running higher resolutions, and more and more users are on phones and tablets with even lower resolutions and bandwidth to boot. In the case that those files are needed in high resolution (calendar selections for example) they can be stored on the MTO Gallery/sent to a mod to put on the Gallery for safekeeping. We also have some cases where someone has attached the same large image several times in different threads.

I'm looking into some mods that might help out automating some resizing but as you can imagine I'm holding off until we have more resources to not totally bog down the server. Also as Grant mentioned, there is a thread dedicated to resizing options, and there are tons of tools out there to resize images easily for free.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #242 on: January 03, 2019, 04:32:12 PM
Thank you for that post Whoey and again for all the hard work you are doing.  The sticky on resizing photos is a great resource.  I know there still those who have had trouble so I'll leave this https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2305.0/topicseen.html here. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #243 on: January 03, 2019, 04:36:09 PM
Can’t we use the MultiTool.ninja site for old files and pics  :think:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #244 on: January 03, 2019, 04:40:46 PM
Photo size change??? Mine is saying 512KB maximum...was over 1000KB. Has something changed???

People really should make an effort not to load overly large pictures anyway as all they do is make for having to scroll to see the larger picture when blown up.

Here's a great phone app that is really easy to use for resizing

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobilephotoresizer

I have even been using the resize app for my uploading to Imgur, that way it uploads much faster to their site as well :tu:

These days it really is easy to resize pics taken on mobile and for me it is even easier to upload straight from my phone :salute:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:42:05 PM by Poncho65 »

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #245 on: January 03, 2019, 04:59:24 PM
That's just a different index pointing at the same files and database

Splitting stuff out would be extremely tedious.

Again, once we sort more resources we do have a few ideas for improvements

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #246 on: January 03, 2019, 05:02:39 PM
That's just a different index pointing at the same files and database

Splitting stuff out would be extremely tedious.

Again, once we sort more resources we do have a few ideas for improvements
Thanks for explaining Whoey
and you are doing a excellent job  :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #247 on: January 03, 2019, 07:57:55 PM
The attachments system in SMF leaves a lot to be desired. Management is a very painful process (and cumbersome for the server resources) and with the approximately 40GB / 250+ thousand files it doesn't get any easier. It took several hours to sync that between our old server and new.

512k should be more than enough for an attached image, it's actually very generous. To be completely honest, images larger than 1000 pixels (on the long side) are not needed on the forum. Very few people are running higher resolutions, and more and more users are on phones and tablets with even lower resolutions and bandwidth to boot. In the case that those files are needed in high resolution (calendar selections for example) they can be stored on the MTO Gallery/sent to a mod to put on the Gallery for safekeeping. We also have some cases where someone has attached the same large image several times in different threads.

I'm looking into some mods that might help out automating some resizing but as you can imagine I'm holding off until we have more resources to not totally bog down the server. Also as Grant mentioned, there is a thread dedicated to resizing options, and there are tons of tools out there to resize images easily for free.

I do not agree with you there, that is too small for details to be seen if you don't want the object to fill the whole frame.
1mb was just enough for me.
Note, regarding the Gallery I think that needs to be payed for?  :think:

PS: Even cheaper  phones these days do about 3000x3000 and more.
I do already resize and compress my pics  :dunno:

Anyhow, good job and thanks for all Whoey  :hatsoff:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:07:14 PM by MTMatt »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #248 on: January 03, 2019, 08:42:11 PM
Photo size change??? Mine is saying 512KB maximum...was over 1000KB. Has something changed???

People really should make an effort not to load overly large pictures anyway as all they do is make for having to scroll to see the larger picture when blown up.

Here's a great phone app that is really easy to use for resizing

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobilephotoresizer
So 1000 is large? I didn’t realize that. I was just getting use to cropping my photos from 12,000 to 1,000, I can crop it to 500 like I have been doing today. But think we should be looking for another solution...I think there is a program that will automatically downsize the incoming photo to the forum, and post it to a given size. Don’t know $$$

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #249 on: January 03, 2019, 10:01:55 PM

I do not agree with you there, that is too small for details to be seen if you don't want the object to fill the whole frame.

Only my laptop has a screen with over 3000 pixels on one axis, and it's a rarity. My tablet is also odd since it's 2560x1800. Over the holidays I had to look at laptops for my nephew, and had to warn my brother in law not to buy the "HD" (1366x768) one he was looking at. :facepalm:

Cropping is also a good idea for more detail in a smaller photo. Factor in that the forum itself takes a chunk of the screen real estate too.

Any ways, it's also to do with quantity of files and the storage we have available, and overall usability on the forum. While I agree I personally prefer hi resolution photos, it's less relevant in a "what are you carrying today" type thread where many photos are attached to the thread.

Our gallery does not cost our users, but it's currently not the greatest setup as a companion to the forum, or mobile devices. Again, things are in motion, but we're still firefighting after the move.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #250 on: January 03, 2019, 10:20:07 PM
Our gallery does not cost our users, but it's currently not the greatest setup as a companion to the forum...
Works good for me.  :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #251 on: January 03, 2019, 10:50:00 PM

It's nice to have, but most photos don't need enough pixels to allow enough zoom to see grains of dust on the tool. :D

And cropping everything but the small area of interest to keep the size down is a good solution if you do need the HD Retina resolution.  :cheers:

IMHO and YMMV.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #252 on: January 03, 2019, 10:51:29 PM
On a different note, there have been a few slow loads/failed loads recently...

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #253 on: January 03, 2019, 11:52:01 PM

Only my laptop has a screen with over 3000 pixels on one axis, and it's a rarity. My tablet is also odd since it's 2560x1800. Over the holidays I had to look at laptops for my nephew, and had to warn my brother in law not to buy the "HD" (1366x768) one he was looking at. :facepalm:

Cropping is also a good idea for more detail in a smaller photo. Factor in that the forum itself takes a chunk of the screen real estate too.

Any ways, it's also to do with quantity of files and the storage we have available, and overall usability on the forum. While I agree I personally prefer hi resolution photos, it's less relevant in a "what are you carrying today" type thread where many photos are attached to the thread.

Our gallery does not cost our users, but it's currently not the greatest setup as a companion to the forum, or mobile devices. Again, things are in motion, but we're still firefighting after the move.

Thanks Whoey, I do understand the troubles.
I think we're on the same page  :cheers:

Reminds me to our teenage daughter who manages to fill up 32GB internal + 32GB SD card on her phone with videos in a month easily.
Then trying to move some to Google Drive (to free up space) only to fill that to max as well, resulting in her mail account not being able to receive any mails anymore :facepalm:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #254 on: January 04, 2019, 12:01:27 AM

It's nice to have, but most photos don't need enough pixels to allow enough zoom to see grains of dust on the tool. :D

And cropping everything but the small area of interest to keep the size down is a good solution if you do need the HD Retina resolution.  :cheers:

IMHO and YMMV.

Still, depending on the content 512kb could need lots of compression.
The Shutter Shop will suffer... but sure could use other means available.  :salute:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #255 on: January 04, 2019, 08:08:24 AM
The issue also has to do with Photobucket etc. I used to put my photographs in Photobucket, and link it to the forum. That way I could use a larger size, for the photographs that needed that.

However, since they decided to stop free hosting and despite changing their policy lately, I just find it safer to just upload them to the forum. That means that a lot more data is stored directly in  the  MTO servers.

I do think that limiting the size of uploads even more will affect the quality of the photographs. I do not know how much space it will save in the servers - whether it is actually a substantial amount.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #256 on: January 04, 2019, 08:58:33 AM
What about saving them in an album here? http://gallery.multitool.org/
I guess it's still taking up space on the server though.  :think:  :dunno:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #257 on: January 04, 2019, 10:52:08 AM
The difference being that's much easier to manage, it resizes automatically, making easily loadable sized photos for the forum, yet retaining large size if more detail is needed.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #258 on: January 04, 2019, 11:06:34 AM
The difference being that's much easier to manage, it resizes automatically, making easily loadable sized photos for the forum, yet retaining large size if more detail is needed.

Unfortunately I cannot login to it  :dunno:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #259 on: January 04, 2019, 11:22:24 AM
If you (or anyone else) needs a gallery account, please send me a PM and I will set it up for you.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #260 on: January 04, 2019, 11:31:06 AM
Unfortunately I cannot login to it  :dunno:
It uses a different login to the forum (but you could just use the same Username/Password when setting it up  :whistle:)

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #261 on: January 04, 2019, 11:39:15 AM
Yes, that's another reason it's not ideal.

Accounts are setup by request rather than some sort of bridged integration, but that also gives us some control over it.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #262 on: January 04, 2019, 12:55:57 PM
Yes, that's another reason it's not ideal.

Accounts are setup by request rather than some sort of bridged integration, but that also gives us some control over it.

Got it, thanks  :salute:

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #263 on: January 09, 2019, 03:54:16 AM
I thought this thread needed a babababaBUMP! :b2t:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #264 on: January 25, 2019, 07:53:19 PM
I noticed a speed up especially when searching.   :like:
Probably due to the server change?

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #265 on: January 25, 2019, 07:58:41 PM
possibly, we have better/faster hardware and software now

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%