Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Least expensive method of basic knife sharpening

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Least expensive method of basic knife sharpening
Reply #30 on: June 27, 2018, 01:45:01 AM
Holy crap, thank you! That lansky system is exactly what I'm looking for. I've got the universal kit (for the serrated cutter) and an extra fine block on order right now!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B8L6M2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B8L6MC

With this setup I'm essentially trading the extra coarse block for the serrated block, and saving $3 over the Deluxe kit.

Charles.
:tu:
Hard to beat the Lansky for the money. The only thing I would recommend for new Lansky users is to practice on a "junk knife" to figure out the blade mounting system, angles, guide fit, and grit steps.
There are some good videos on youtube about it as well.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 27, 2018, 08:18:26 AM
Fortunately I have several that qualify as junk!  Hrm, where did I put that pakistan copy of a buck lockback I've had since I was 14...

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 02, 2018, 06:33:25 PM
Should I be using honing oil with the ceramic stone?

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: July 02, 2018, 08:44:28 PM
Should I be using honing oil with the ceramic stone?

Charles.
The oil in the kit I bought is what I use, but basic honing oil should be fine. :cheers:

You do need to oil the stones though, or you won't be able to clean them and they'll become useless. In a pinch, sewing machine oil works well too. Clean the stones frequently and take your time. It does take some getting used to.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: July 02, 2018, 09:04:27 PM
I know to use honing oil on the actual stones, but the question was about the white ceramic stone. The final step in the process.

So far I've sharpened the blade of a cheap Coast multi-tool. It didn't really have an edge on it to begin with. I put a 30 degree edge on it, just to see what can be done, and it worked nicely. Cuts receipt paper now. I couldn't really tell what "edge" was already on it, and I figured for such a cheap tool i'd give it 30 degrees. Also I didn't know any better and was just practicing with a throw-away tool.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: July 02, 2018, 10:36:57 PM
I see. Sorry about my misunderstanding! Yes, use honing oil on the 1K stone like you would the lower grit stones. :cheers:

it Offline Mini

Reply #36 on: July 29, 2018, 11:15:11 PM
Used the bottom of a mug  2 or 3 times, but it was because there was nothing else that could help me, and the knife was very dull. Of course it was not the best sharpening results, but it cut better then before did it. Was with a kitchen knife, not mine.
In my kitchen I have a Lansky blade medic, and I think it do a great job for the price it costs.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #37 on: October 17, 2018, 05:52:48 PM
I have used concrete from demolition sites that had slick surface floors, just pick up a smaller (4 or 5 inches ) and use the slick surface side then strop on a piece of scrap wood from said site. Pine or fir 2 x4 works best.
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #38 on: November 27, 2018, 08:14:26 AM
Ace hardware sells sharpening stones for around $5-$10 in various grits and sizes. Been using one for all my blades! Couldn't tell you the grit. Coarse and fine I guess lol. I also finish up on a ceramic rod or bottom of a mug. And then strop on a leather belt. :tu: I use a diamond rod for serrations
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: December 14, 2018, 11:06:24 PM
Okay, so we have the least expensive method. But how about the easiest? My girlfriend doesn't have the patience and mechanical aptitude for knife sharpening using my Lansky. She has this horrible electric sharpening thing from Bed Bath and Beyond, which I am loathe to use on any knife. What can I get her that she will use, so it's not consistently my responsibility to sharpen all the knives?  Something she can use to quickly restore an edge to cut a tomato or something.

Charles.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: December 15, 2018, 01:29:46 AM
If cost doesn't matter then I would recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker :tu: it comes with a DVD to show how to use it but once that is watched the actual use of it very easy  :cheers:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 15, 2018, 03:24:52 AM
I know steels (I have an $15 Victorinox one) aren't really meant for regular sharpening, but I haven't found anything that will sharpen the cheap Chicago Cutlery steak knives (which my grandmother uses for everything; including cooking and garden work) quicker. Steels are really better for knives with soft steel; like the Chicago knives.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: December 15, 2018, 08:41:31 AM
Charles, I would 100% get her a steel!
So for example you will sharpen her knives every few months then day to day or weekly she would run them over a steel as needed

Watch this Guy and do everything he says, he nails everything about using a steel  :salute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzoJtzQV2s8

Oh and don't get her a diamond coated one just a normal steel

And it takes practice to get the hang of it, it will take a while just to get the feel of it sharpening (you will understand what I mean when it happens  :tu: )
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 08:45:04 AM by Sparky415 »
Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56