Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Testing the SAK 111mm frame saw

MMR · 5 · 1411

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Testing the SAK 111mm frame saw
on: December 17, 2018, 01:34:54 PM
As I promised in another post, I would give the saw in my new SAK a try, in this case a Victorinox Hunter, which for those who don’t know, is a 3 layer 111mm frame SAK.

So I did this while walking the dog, and as you can see he was quite bored looking at me testing the saw instead of throwing a stick for him.

All the sawing done here was done on fallen and very dead tree branches, so no living trees were harmed in this test.

So how did it do?

Since the branches were dead and I have no idea for how long, the wood was pretty dry as you can see in the pictures, also the kind of wood one would use to make a fire with.

On a branch the thickness of maybe 3-4 fingers, the saw went through with no problems at all, and in under 30 seconds.

However, if we step it up a notch to 5-6 fingers thickness which is close to the length of the saw, I did experience the saw struggling quite a bit. The branch I tested it on ended up breaking before I managed to get all the way through as you can see in the picture, but that was also to because of its own weight and being partly rotten.

Conclusion:

To be honest, I have never had a good saw in any multi tool I have ever owned, they have alway been too small and I have always ended up just carrying a foldable saw in my backpack the times I have been out hiking or camping. A foldable saw doesn’t take up any real space in my backpack and doesn’t really add any weight either.

Did this saw in this SAK change my mind?

Well, no. I will always have a foldable saw with me when I go hiking or camping.

BUT! ...I will say that for its size, I think this saw in the SAK did really well, and for making walking sticks, or sticks for starting a camp fire, or in a hunters case also branches for making a hide or for use as camouflage, the saw in the SAK will do that just fine.

But anything bigger than that, like for supporting any real weight; it will struggle with. I’m sure if you are in a survival situation and crafty enough, you can saw smaller branches and tie them together to form a thick branch.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope this was helpful to some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

de Offline Thehunt

Re: Testing the SAK 111mm frame saw
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 02:17:17 PM
I can attest to all of the above.
If you got serious cutting ahead of you... Take a bigger saw.

But, the Victorinox saw throw´s a good punch for its size.

IMG_20180916_115034_424.jpg
* IMG_20180916_115034_424.jpg (Filesize: 216.85 KB)
IMG_20180916_114233_463.jpg
* IMG_20180916_114233_463.jpg (Filesize: 253.2 KB)
M

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 02:22:38 PM
Great testing MMR  :tu: :like:
I think the saw is always more of a emergency tool
But it looks like it did ok on those branches  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 02:14:33 PM
The vic saw is one of my favorite Mt tools. If I know I will need a saw I will get a proper one but for awl those other times. Walking stick, sticks the kids find in the woods that need a trim, sticks for heating hotdogs at the campfire, small branches that needs clearing, roots and awl those other  small jobs its perfect for!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 02:25:43 PM
 :iagree: :tu: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00