Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

IRWIN Vise-Grip multitool (unboxing & first impression)

MMR · 25 · 1693

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
on: December 21, 2018, 02:47:07 PM
So this arrived in the mail today...a vise-grips based multitool from IRWIN. ....on the package they call them “multi-pliers”

So let’s have a look at it and see what this thing is about (and if it’s any good).

As these are not sold locally here in Europe (as far as I am aware) I ordered mine off eBay. I found mine for 10€, which first of all places this in the category of “cheap and cheerful” and secondly means that this multitool / multi-Pliers are actually cheaper than a regular pair of vise-grips from IRWIN.

Which leads on the next point, this multitool is basically a modified pair of vise-grips, and my experience with multitools that have not been designed from the ground up to be a multitool, but instead relies on taking an existing tool and modifying it, has not been the best to be honest.

But let’s give this a fair chance.

Apart from the fact that it comes in satans own packaging straight from hell, ready to cut your hand up..... :poh:

The multitool claims to have 4 tools / features:
- Knife
- Bit driver / screwdriver
- Pliers
- Wirecutter

I will say that, as those are the main tools that I use in a multitool, I am pleased with that. Quality over quantity, I like that.

The multitool itself is not very pretty made, in fact it looks like the result of someone who was given the task of turning a pair of vise-grips into a multitool over night.

The knife is held in a stamped piece of metal that is literally bolted to the side of the multitool and just painted black.

And the part that houses the bit driver is big and bulky as you can see in the pictures be low as well.

You can see here compared to a regular pair of vise-grips; how big and bulky that part is.

Looking at the knife.....

It has a foldout knife that has a liner lock, the blade itself consists of a plain edge and a “serrated-like” part

Holding the multitool with the knife folded out, feels awkward to be honest. The knife is placed really far back in the tool, so that if one were to try and cut deep into something; then the jaws of the pliers would hit it.

However, the plain edge part of the knife is actually “okay” sharp right out of the box.

It doesn’t say anywhere what type of steel is used for the knife blade, but I can tell by looking at it that it is a type of stainless steel.

The bit driver....

The bit driver is a fold out type as well, but it doesn’t have any locking feature like the knife does.

The bit driver housing (if we can call it that) is made out of a type of metal called “17S” which I have no idea what means or if it’s any good, maybe someone else can shed some light on that?

The bit included consists of a Phillips (PH#2) and a flathead (S2 or ) and it’s a 1/4” sized bit.

The bit has the locking mechanism build into it, which means that you can’t put a regular bit in to the bit driver without it falling out again. Also it needs to be a longer bit, otherwise it will just disappear into the bit driver.

One part that I noticed which is unique about the multitool vise-grip, is the tightening screw. Just has a wider design to it.

So what’s my verdict so far just from my first impression?

Well, it’s a very heavy and bulky multitool, I would not recommend this for any pocket, belt carry.

It’s more the type of tool that one would have in their truck / van tools or something like that.

Build quality and design feels very “rushed”.....it doesn’t feel like there was spend a whole lot of time designing and testing the tool before it was put into production.

I mean for the price, it will make a handy enough truck / van tool or maybe bike tool, but I wouldn’t recommend for anything more than that.

Here are a few more pictures with a regular pair vise-grips just for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 04:51:46 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: IRWIN Vise-Grip multitool (unboxing & first impression)
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 03:06:21 PM
Nice write up MMR  :tu: :like:
It does look like a rushed finish for the tools  :think:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 03:19:30 PM
Interesting still.
Thanks for your time writing up this review  MMR :salute:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 04:01:51 PM
Nice write-up! :like:

I have the BN and NN version of these. They are definitely built similarly to their cost, which in my case, was $10-$12ea new. Only nice thing I have to say about them is they are locking pliers. :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 04:53:51 PM
Great overview. A bit similar to my thoughts. I was an early adopter of the tool, buying the 6LN when Lowe's first had them for $12 USD. Here a few months back, a regional discount chain around here (Ollie's) I noticed had the things for $6 a piece, I bought one each of what they had, the 6LN and 5WR.  The original 6LN was so bad, it ended up in the bottom of my toolbox (the second one is in the collection box NIB still),and the 5WR is used from time to time as a regular pair of VIse Grips since I don't have a Petersen USA example of the 5WR yet. I've used vintage USA examples (two 1980s 6LNs and an early model 9R that does not have the quick release lever; as it predates the patent), and they work so much better.

My experience was that it takes King Kong to release the pliers (though realistically, I have to use another pair of pliers) once clamped down on something (even tougher to release than the old 9R), the bit driver always folds up, and the stainless steel used might as well be pot metal. Not to forget that on the 6LN, the blade is useless due to its length.

What I don't understand is that just being made 15 years ago, you'd think Irwin would still have the patents to the "Toolbox" line they co-branded with Schrade (they made the pliers part, Schrade made the fold-out tools) to have made, and marketed by both companies. Now a cheaper version of that, say $25, I'd go for, and I feel would do well.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 06:00:10 AM
I remember seeing these in stores when they first came out and was speechless and not sure what to say about it.. :think:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 10:05:16 AM
Just to do a quick update on this.

I have been using it for a few bits and bobs here and there over the christmas holidays.

So far I'd say the wise-grip part of the tool works just as well as a regular pair of vice-grips, I am actually starting to like the "Fast Release" feature.

As for the rest of the tools; I have only opened a package with the knife so far, and I haven't used the bit driver for anything yet other that just to loosen and retighten a screw on the back of a computer, just to get a feel for it. So in other words, not really anything to write an in-dept review about, but just buy those two things, I haven't been very impressed and both feels awkwardly placed and awkward to use.

But again look at it this way, it's a pair of genuine Irwin Vice-Grips for around 5-10 quid, dollars, euro depending on where you live, and it is a steal for that price.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 10:14:38 AM
I really can’t get my head around the placement of the knife at all, or understand how you are supposed to use this in a proper way?

And anything other that just small things, like opening a package, where you just need the tip of the knife to open, the jaws of the pliers will hit whatever you are trying to cut into.

I’ll try to show what I mean in the picture below:

Also the “serrated” part, I don’t get at all.

Regarding the bit driver....I really can’t find any comfortable position to use / hold the tool with the intention of using the bit driver without just being really stupid looking.

I’ll let the pictures below speak for themselves...

It also doesn't inspire much confidence in the bit driver when there's no locking function in it and it feels like it will just fold / close on you if you apply any real pressure to it.

Again, the vise-grips part, works great and I have no complaints about the vice-grips, but the knife and bit driver is just a different story.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:25:44 AM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 12:32:04 PM
It kind of looks like a oh smurf moment where they suddenly thought they should add some more tools

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 12:47:48 PM
Take the knife off like Sam did and add it to a PST :D Makes a PST, OHO :cheers:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75815.msg1632281.html#msg1632281

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 01:16:31 PM
It kind of looks like a oh smurf moment where they suddenly thought they should add some more tools

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

or as I mention in the first post; it both looks and feels like the result of someone who was given the task of turning a pair of vise-grips into a multi tool over night...

To be honest, i wouldn't be surprised of that was the case, and then they just put it straight into production the following day.

It really doesn't feel like there was much (if any) time spend on actually testing the tool before it was put into final production.
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 02:15:10 PM
 :iagree: it does look like they
haven’t tested any of the tools  ???

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 05:49:42 PM
i remember seeing this at lowes a good while back, i almost bought one but desided not to, but now that i look at it this way it is pretty cool, maybe ill get one one day
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 06:27:43 PM
i remember seeing this at lowes a good while back, i almost bought one but desided not to, but now that i look at it this way it is pretty cool, maybe ill get one one day

Yeah look at this way; when was the last time you saw a pair of genuine Vise-Grips for 5-10 bucks? ....so who cares if the other tools aren’t any good, it’s a pair of genuine Vise-Grips for 5-10 bucks, that in itself is a good enough reason to get one

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 06:29:11 PM

Yeah look at this way; when was the last time you saw a pair of genuine Vise-Grips for 5-10 bucks? ....so who cares if the other tools aren’t any good, it’s a pair of genuine Vise-Grips for 5-10 bucks, that in itself is a good enough reason to get one

I looked them up and see they have a needle nose vise grips pair for about 12 bucks

If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 06:29:46 PM

:iagree: that is a great price for genuine Vice Grips  :like:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 02:17:31 AM
Visegrips with a bayonet.

I'm in.

:D
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 03:38:01 AM
 :rofl:
Didn't think about it that way.  :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 09:15:53 AM

I looked them up and see they have a needle nose vise grips pair for about 12 bucks

Well even that’s cheaper than a regular pair of genuine vise-grips....well over here at least

I think I paid €18 for my small pair of IRWIN vise-grips ....was around that at least

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 09:18:36 AM
Visegrips with a bayonet.

I'm in.

:D

Dear sir,

You just took something seriously uncool and turned it in to the coolest thing ever!

I think I’m gonna order another pair now that I look at them this way

Well done indeed sir! :cheers:

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 04:59:18 AM

It made me a proud 5WR and 6LN owner.   :D :cheers:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 10:57:54 AM
LETS RIDE INTO BATTLE....CHARGE!!!  :viking: :SAKnight: :duel:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:58:57 AM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 03:00:30 PM
LETS RIDE INTO BATTLE....CHARGE!!!  :viking: :SAKnight: :duel:

(Image removed from quote.)

i spit my coffee out on this one haha

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 03:07:07 PM
LETS RIDE INTO BATTLE....CHARGE!!!  :viking: :SAKnight:  :duel:
Arggghhhh! :viking:

Thy little Viseonet, shall impale the, upon thou victory!

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 04:06:56 PM
LETS RIDE INTO BATTLE....CHARGE!!!  :viking: :SAKnight:  :duel:
Arggghhhh! :viking:

Thy little Viseonet, shall impale the, upon thou victory!

Take no prisoners!

DEATH OR GLORY!!! ... VICTORY OR VALHALLA :viking:

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!