Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Inlaid designs and tang stamps

Rapidray · 282 · 11270

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Inlaid designs and tang stamps
Reply #30 on: December 23, 2018, 10:34:38 PM
The inlays are my favourite - I have a few - Not enough  :(

There was an amazing one of a motorbike here for sale a couple of years ago - But I missed it     :dunno:

Hey FB - Love the Coke one - And the cows -
But I am a bit suspicious of the cows being an inlay?  ???  Looks too intricate and images not joined !

@ Mechanical - I think the HASCO one is hot stamping/printing - Letters not joined !
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:00:33 AM by Huntsman »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 10:44:20 PM
Yes, you guys are probably right about the Hasco one...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: December 23, 2018, 10:44:32 PM
I'll just trash it now...

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: December 24, 2018, 12:50:57 AM
But I am a bit suspicious of the cows being an inlay?  ???  Looks too intricate and images not joined !
Cows are definitely a hot stamp.  But since the OP put inlay, hot stamp or printed, I included those cute little cows.  :tu: :cheers:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #34 on: December 24, 2018, 12:52:59 AM
My favorites in this category are the Battle Series.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

R

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: December 24, 2018, 01:55:50 AM
I'll just trash it now...
No....don’t...FB had it right  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: December 24, 2018, 01:58:56 AM
Cows are definitely a hot stamp.  But since the OP put inlay, hot stamp or printed, I included those cute little cows.  :tu: :cheers:
110% correct...I am into inlay, but I know others like hot stamp or printed. I wanted to see what you all liked.  :like: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: December 24, 2018, 02:01:19 AM
My favorites in this category are the Battle Series.(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Battle Series are nice. A little bit to nice for me...I like to carry and use mine.  :like: :tu:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 07:55:15 AM
My favorites in this category are the Battle Series.(Image removed from quote.)

I love those. Especially the grey ones because of their uncommon scale color.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

so Offline maxt

Reply #39 on: December 24, 2018, 08:36:06 AM
The most rarely seen is the red one. Easier to find it in the full set than in a separate red box.
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio
Huntsman - Eidgenossenschaft 700 Year Commemorative
Wenger - FASS 90 Grünig and Elmiger in Green scales

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #40 on: December 24, 2018, 10:46:16 AM
The most rarely seen is the red one. Easier to find it in the full set than in a separate red box.

I think you're right. I think I bought mine from a member here :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: December 24, 2018, 01:01:04 PM

Nice collection Andy! :like: :tu: :tu:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: December 24, 2018, 01:01:19 PM
Inlaid designs, hot stamp, printed, etc. While I like a SAK to have the tools I would like to have, I have found that I prefer the scales to be a certain way. I have found that I also prefer certain tang stamps. If I have a chance to buy a certain model and one has the inlaid design and the other a hot stamp, I will pick the inlaid design. I was wondering if there are others with the same fixation? A few of mine and the the tang stamps are the ones I have, a couple are not on my favorite list, just examples. Do you have a favorite or two?

Regarding the initial question, yes i do have some "fixation" regarding those issues with sak scales...  :whistle:
First, it just has to be cellidor classic red, second it just has to have the inlaid  silver Vic shield .  :climber:

Yes, everything else is cool and nice, but for me to regularly carry and use (which is the intent for about 98% of my sak's, standard backup copies excluded), it just has to have those two features. It's just a very early childhood fixation that stuck through the years...  :facepalm:

Other than that, i also really like the Vic standard inlays like the fish, camping, auto and shuttle, but i have none of those.

I know my tastes might be a bit boring to some, but hey... That's what i like man.... :cheers:

Oh, and about tang stamps, i just love the cross bow, it just added a touch of "finesse" to the blade, never understood why they changed it. Unfourtunatly i only have 3 saks with it...  :-\
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 01:10:54 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: December 24, 2018, 02:18:46 PM
Inlaid designs, hot stamp, printed, etc. While I like a SAK to have the tools I would like to have, I have found that I prefer the scales to be a certain way. I have found that I also prefer certain tang stamps. If I have a chance to buy a certain model and one has the inlaid design and the other a hot stamp, I will pick the inlaid design. I was wondering if there are others with the same fixation? A few of mine and the the tang stamps are the ones I have, a couple are not on my favorite list, just examples. Do you have a favorite or two?

Regarding the initial question, yes i do have some "fixation" regarding those issues with sak scales...  :whistle:
First, it just has to be cellidor classic red, second it just has to have the inlaid  silver Vic shield .  :climber:

Yes, everything else is cool and nice, but for me to regularly carry and use (which is the intent for about 98% of my sak's, standard backup copies excluded), it just has to have those two features. It's just a very early childhood fixation that stuck through the years...  :facepalm:

Other than that, i also really like the Vic standard inlays like the fish, camping, auto and shuttle, but i have none of those.

I know my tastes might be a bit boring to some, but hey... That's what i like man.... :cheers:

Oh, and about tang stamps, i just love the cross bow, it just added a touch of "finesse" to the blade, never understood why they changed it. Unfourtunatly i only have 3 saks with it...  :-\
Silver? How can you tell the difference? Is it model related? Can you give me more information on this?

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 24, 2018, 02:26:54 PM
RR
I think he just means the shield is silver coloured ?   ???

FYI - The familiar Vic shield came in in 1909 and was initially made of nickel silver
In 1980  they changed it to stainless steel -
The nickel sliver shields tend to be a bit duller

Not sure if that answers the question

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: December 24, 2018, 02:30:39 PM
RR
I think he just means the shield is silver coloured ?   ???

FYI - The familiar Vic shield came in in 1909 and was initially made of nickel silver
In 1980  they changed it to stainless steel -
The nickel sliver shields tend to be a bit duller

Not sure if that answers the question
Oh, thanks - I was thinking silver! Thanks for the shield information as I didn’t know that.   :tu: :cheers:

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #46 on: December 24, 2018, 02:34:37 PM

Me too - Me too

I only have one ...... The Battle of Sempach - I got it as the Climber is my collecting model
I bought it on the Bay - And never realised the scales were grey until it arrived
What a pleasant surprise that was  - Really, really  love the colour - I also have a Classic (non SD) in that colour

The inlay on it is insanely intricate - As are all the Battle Series I guess

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: December 24, 2018, 03:11:27 PM

Me too - Me too

I only have one ...... The Battle of Sempach - I got it as the Climber is my collecting model
I bought it on the Bay - And never realised the scales were grey until it arrived
What a pleasant surprise that was  - Really, really  love the colour - I also have a Classic (non SD) in that colour

The inlay on it is insanely intricate - As are all the Battle Series I guess
When I first saw the Battle Series I could only think of one thing. Jack Kirby’s The New Gods comic. You would open it up and read/look at the story on the first page, but when you flipped to the next page it would show a battle scene on the two pages, and detailed! One panel covering two pages!  :tu:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: December 24, 2018, 03:29:50 PM

Silver? How can you tell the difference? Is it model related? Can you give me more information on this?

Lol, sorry for causing confusion... I meant silver color, as in "metal" color.
Nevertheless the older stainless shields of the solid scales look better to me than the newer ones. The newer ones look more "brushed" looking, and the shield seams "thinner" as it tends to lift a bit more on the edges, on some i can press it down with my fingers, the older ones sit in place more solidly.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: December 24, 2018, 03:39:17 PM

Lol, sorry for causing confusion... I meant silver color, as in "metal" color.
Nevertheless the older stainless shields of the solid scales look better to me than the newer ones. The newer ones look more "brushed" looking, and the shield seams "thinner" as it tends to lift a bit more on the edges, on some i can press it down with my fingers, the older ones sit in place more solidly.
Not a problem, Huntsman figured thats what you meant and set me straight  :tu: 
Will check mine out later and see if I can see the differences you mentioned. Thanks

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #50 on: December 24, 2018, 03:51:27 PM
Thanks to everyone who commented on my little inlaid assortment.  :cheers:

This thread is just wonderful. So many awesome inlaid scale designs, y'all.  :drool:
I started poking around eBay for some of them, and WOW, those are some serious SAKs. :climber:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: December 24, 2018, 03:56:18 PM
Thanks to everyone who commented on my little inlaid assortment.  :cheers:

This thread is just wonderful. So many awesome inlaid scale designs, y'all.  :drool:
I started poking around eBay for some of them, and WOW, those are some serious SAKs. :climber:
:iagree:
I went there also but to look at the Battle Series...very nice!

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: December 24, 2018, 04:20:34 PM

I've had a modern shield/cross fall right out before.  When you actually behold one out of the scale like that, it seems like it's about 0.00000001 mm thick.  For the longest time I kept track of it, then one day it just disappeared.  It was on a Scientist, unfortunately, so I broke down and put new scales on it. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 04:25:54 PM by Myron »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: December 24, 2018, 04:25:11 PM

I've had a modern shield/cross fall right out before.  One you actually behold one out of the scale like that, it seems like it's about 0.00000001 mm thick.  For the longest time I kept track of it, then one day it just disappeared.  It was on a Scientist, unfortunately, so I broke down and put new scales on it.
Soooo...how are they attached? I’ve never really given that a thought.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: December 24, 2018, 04:28:15 PM
If I recall correctly, there's a teensy weensy itsy bitsy hole and the little shield has a tiny pin that sticks into the tiny hole.  The scale itself is also depressed a little in the shape of the shield/cross to accept it. 

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #55 on: December 24, 2018, 04:40:07 PM
This is one of my favorite inlays:

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #56 on: December 24, 2018, 04:41:26 PM

(Image removed from quote.)
Hoping 2019 is the year I find one of these to buy!  Beautiful!  :tu: :drool: :cheers:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: December 24, 2018, 04:47:46 PM

Hoping 2019 is the year I find one of these to buy!  Beautiful!  :tu: :drool: :cheers:

Me too!  Have searched and searched, but the two I saw in 2018 both went for $425-$500.  Yikes.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #58 on: December 24, 2018, 04:48:04 PM

:tu:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #59 on: December 24, 2018, 04:48:47 PM

Me too!  Have searched and searched, but the two I saw in 2018 both went for $425-$500.  Yikes.

Just the knife itself? Without the watch?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%