Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

advice on next purchase

us Offline Darrell85

advice on next purchase
on: December 24, 2018, 11:56:35 PM
I need some input form you guys since is seems like you have owned every multitool ever created. lol. I have the itch once again to purchase another tool but cant decide on the right one. My requirements are... Pocket clip and a 1/4" hex driver are a must, file, outside opening knife, not too bulky (will carry it everyday at work), replaceable cutters would be nice, or at least very good cutters (i cut 10 12 and 18 gauge copper regularly and bailing wire fairly often), I'm not into shiny flashy tools.. prefer black, tan etc, and possible to open the pliers one handed is a plus (i can do this with my signal that i am using now). I have been carrying a leatherman signal for a year ever since the second time i snapped the blade on my skeletool. The signal has had the crap beat out of it and just keeps on going but i'm board. lol. price isn't a big issue (under $150ish). Thanks in advance. Looking forward to see what you guys can come up with.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: advice on next purchase
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 12:40:11 AM
Gerber Center Drive?  :dunno:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 12:46:04 AM
With the requirements you listed the Wave+ and the Surge both come to mind.  Neither one will hold a full 1/4 inch hex bit by them selves but add the extender and they do.  Don't discount the Leatherman "2D" bits though, they are capable of far more than I expected when I did both the Surge and Wave Challenges.  Both have the option to add a pocket clip although I will warn you for the Surge you will need realy large pockets and a good belt.  Both can be purchased in Black Oxcide.
If you're looking for a general purpose tool then the Wave+.  If you're looking for a TANK then the Surge.  Yes, G-Man I'm recomending a Leatherman product.  Only because it comes closer to the requirements.  I still prefer my Swisstool and Spirit, But the Surge and Wave are close seconds.  Now you can pick your jaw up off the floor and make your own recomendation. 
P.S. I have no experiance with it but you might consider the Gerber Center Drive.  It dose hold actual 1/4" bits and there are those here who proudly EDC it.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 12:47:22 AM
TP you beat me to the punch.
 :tu: :tu:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 01:13:27 AM

:iagree:

Only other option would be a Signal in another colour ...  :think:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 01:41:08 AM
Centerdrive has the best actual 1/4" drive option and I have tried them all a lot.

The pliers can also be used one handed and the cutters seem decent so far but I also almost always carry a dedicated Diagonal Cutter too while working.
The file seems ok too and the lack of a clip seems the only real issue from your list.

I have not used the knife but it looks great and the Centerdrive is sold in black now too.

us Offline Darrell85

Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 02:21:41 AM
i was really close to picking up a center drive today at walmart but no pocket clip. But i could add one like i did on my mp600

us Offline Darrell85

Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 02:25:14 AM
With the requirements you listed the Wave+ and the Surge both come to mind.  Neither one will hold a full 1/4 inch hex bit by them selves but add the extender and they do.  Don't discount the Leatherman "2D" bits though, they are capable of far more than I expected when I did both the Surge and Wave Challenges.  Both have the option to add a pocket clip although I will warn you for the Surge you will need realy large pockets and a good belt.  Both can be purchased in Black Oxcide.
If you're looking for a general purpose tool then the Wave+.  If you're looking for a TANK then the Surge.  Yes, G-Man I'm recomending a Leatherman product.  Only because it comes closer to the requirements.  I still prefer my Swisstool and Spirit, But the Surge and Wave are close seconds.  Now you can pick your jaw up off the floor and make your own recomendation. 
P.S. I have no experiance with it but you might consider the Gerber Center Drive.  It dose hold actual 1/4" bits and there are those here who proudly EDC it.
thanks for the reply. I use the leatherman bits in my signal, and i agree that they work well. My reasoning for the driver is i need to be able to drive 1/4 and 5/16" screws at work... Hvac.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 03:16:40 AM
Hi Darrell,

As I read through your description,  the Signal jumped to mind. If you are bored, go to REI and get the forest green version woth the topo map on the bladr. Or Cabela's for the coyote tan.

The other option that came to mind was the Wave. The 2D bits work pretty well, but you can always get the bit extender  for real 1/4 inch bits.

Surge is a beast. It'll do anything you need, but it feels like a brick in your pocket.

Center Drive, heard good things about it but it is also a bit bulky and has no clip. It might still fit the bill.

So, if you can make the Center Drive work for you, great. If not, the ones that pop into my mind are a different color Signal, or a Wave with bit extender.

I think I'm parroting what others say, but that's only because that's what fits your description.

Hope that helps

us Offline Darrell85

Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 04:46:24 AM
Thanks alot for the replies guys! I was thinking the oht might fit the bill untill i realized that it is a massive beast of a tool. I think i will end up just getting another signal, carry the new one, and see what kind of modding i can come up with on the old one. Keep an eye out for the mod thread. Lol

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 04:50:35 AM
 :like:

I’m +1 for the Wave though   :D

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 05:21:01 AM
Excellent recommendations, Douglas. :cheers:
The Wave+(or Charge+) BO w/ clip and 21pc bit-set[42 drivers] is pretty close to what Darrell is looking for by the list.  :iagree:
There aren't many clipped 1/4" integrated bit-drive MTs out there that I know of(the 1/4" holder inherently makes the tool bulky, isn't integrated well, or takes up too many tool slots). Center-drive is too bulky for a clip. The MP1 has a 1/4" holder built in(no clip though) but a low tool count. :ahhh
I also thought the LM flattened bits would be inferior. I was wrong. They are fantastic. :)
The SOG PowerAccess(medium), PowerPint(small), PowerLitre(small), SOG Reactor(small) have 1/4" bit holders in the back of the pliers and a pocket clip, but it takes a bit of getting used to and isn't very robust. You have to squeeze the handles while using the bit holder. Kind of awkward, but usable.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 05:22:20 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 05:25:30 AM
After growing up with a DAD in the HVAC industry and being in the field (in a manor of speeking [long story]) myself for the better part of 20 years,  If I were going to put together a MT kit around the most common HVAC fasteners Add these three to the Wave and your driver concerns are gone.  The Malco reversable driver is probably the best HVAC tool to come down the line in decades.

Dr.  McCoy

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 10:37:58 AM
After growing up with a DAD in the HVAC industry and being in the field (in a manor of speeking [long story]) myself for the better part of 20 years,  If I were going to put together a MT kit around the most common HVAC fasteners Add these three to the Wave and your driver concerns are gone.  The Malco reversable driver is probably the best HVAC tool to come down the line in decades.
(Image removed from quote.)

This.... with a Wave +  ... that's what I would suggest based on your requirements  :)

us Offline Darrell85

Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 03:10:32 PM
Excellent recommendations, Douglas. :cheers:
The Wave+(or Charge+) BO w/ clip and 21pc bit-set[42 drivers] is pretty close to what Darrell is looking for by the list.  :iagree:
There aren't many clipped 1/4" integrated bit-drive MTs out there that I know of(the 1/4" holder inherently makes the tool bulky, isn't integrated well, or takes up too many tool slots). Center-drive is too bulky for a clip. The MP1 has a 1/4" holder built in(no clip though) but a low tool count. :ahhh
I also thought the LM flattened bits would be inferior. I was wrong. They are fantastic. :)
The SOG PowerAccess(medium), PowerPint(small), PowerLitre(small), SOG Reactor(small) have 1/4" bit holders in the back of the pliers and a pocket clip, but it takes a bit of getting used to and isn't very robust. You have to squeeze the handles while using the bit holder. Kind of awkward, but usable.
thanks for the input. I was looking at sog and my concerns were exactly what you just pointed out and was also concerned about the smaller plier heads holding up to tough tasks.

us Offline Darrell85

Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 03:15:47 PM
I actually switched from carrying 2 drivers to the malco combo you shared about a month ago.  I love it! I just got the extender about a week ago also! I wish i could just buy one of each tool to try out. Lol

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 03:25:09 PM
 :hatsoff:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 25, 2018, 05:38:27 PM
I have a friend who works in the trades and switched from an OG LM Supertool to a Surge and I haven't heard any complaints from him about it.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 25, 2018, 09:58:07 PM
Here is a link closely related to this but more apropriate for the Hand Tool Sub Forum.
Hope some one finds it usefull.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,80120.new.html#new
Dr.  McCoy

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69