Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Surge Modifications to make it UK legal - Suggestions Please.

MMW · 14 · 2525

gb Offline MMW

I need some advice from the members here. - If this is not in the right location could a moderator please move it.

So I need to make my new Surge legal to carry at all points in time, I dont want to have to remember to remove it when I go out of the office / yard, I got some funny looks off the police at lunch today and think it would be wiser to see what can be done.

I have ordered a second T-Saw bit that I hope to fit in place of one of the blades and then I can carry a blade that will fit that in the case that I do need it.

Suggestions on what I can replace the second blade with? I know there are ways of making it non locking but the I would still need to shorten the blades by around 2 inches to get under the max 3" non locking rule.

I was thinking of a replacing one with a file but cant find were I might find out the hole size, length etc from some of the other leatherman's.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 10:50:07 PM by MMW »
Surge

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
I need some advice from the members here. - If this is not in the right location could a moderator please move it.

So I need to make my new Surge legal to carry at all points in time, I dont want to have to remember to remove it when I go out of the office / yard, I got some funny looks off the police at lunch today and think it would be wiser to see what can be done.

I have ordered a second T-Saw bit that I hope to fit in place of one of the blades and then I can carry a blade that will fit that in the case that I do need it.

Suggestions on what I can replace the second blade with? I know there are ways of making it non locking but the I would still need to shorten the blades by around 2 inches to get under the max 3" non locking rule.

I was thinking of a replacing one with a file but cant find were I might find out the hole size, length etc from some of the other leatherman's.

Tools from the OG Supertool, ST300 series can fit in the outside slots with some work/grinding. I was working on this yesterday but I brilliantly offset the pivot hole in the wrong direction.  :facepalm: I do not know of any stock tools that can fit in..

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
I have put ST300 tools in my Surge just fine.

I'm not sure the blade exchanger will work as well on the blade side...  :dunno:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I'd remove both blades and if possible put a pry bar in one slot.  I also like the idea of a strap cutter that can be used as a box/package opener.  Not sure if SOG tools would fit just thought I'd suggest a few ideas. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
A file you say? Make one? I am extremely free today..  :D
IMG_20181228_120847-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20181228_120847-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 288.27 KB)

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
I'd remove both blades and if possible put a pry bar in one slot.  I also like the idea of a strap cutter that can be used as a box/package opener.  Not sure if SOG tools would fit just thought I'd suggest a few ideas.

I fitted a SOG strap cutter to a Fuse a few years ago, was not too hard to do  :tu:

Sam Lim  :popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

ro Offline Raoul Octav

well, maybe this can help you or at least give you a hint on your quest
Sanger's laws:

-any problem has more than one resolve!

-by the way you look at the problem, the resolve may change!

-where's a will there's a way !

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
I do not like blades either. My PE was cut down sometime ago. It had a bent half anyway. Also completed the file in place of the SE blade. Its way cheaper and more fun than getting a blade exchanger. Also, like what Syncop8r said earlier, it may not fit properly on the blade slot due to the angle they grind the back end.  Hope this helps. The file was rather easy to work with surprisingly..

gb Offline MMW

Thanks for these, some really good idea's in there.

Ordered a new Dremel and will have a look at what I can do.

Any more suggestions gratefully accepted.
Surge

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Great work as always Sam !   :like: :tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Great work as always Sam !   :like: :tu:

:salute: sure was fun!

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
I do not like blades either. My PE was cut down sometime ago. It had a bent half anyway. Also completed the file in place of the SE blade. Its way cheaper and more fun than getting a blade exchanger. Also, like what Syncop8r said earlier, it may not fit properly on the blade slot due to the angle they grind the back end.  Hope this helps. The file was rather easy to work with surprisingly..

(Image removed from quote.)
Sam Lim this is brilliant  :tu:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Excellent work again Sam :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club

Sam Lim this is brilliant  :tu:

Nothing much really. Just a matter of finding the right parts and grind it to shape.  :salute:

Thanks WS!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD