Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vintage Garden pruner pocket knife

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Vintage Garden pruner pocket knife
on: December 28, 2018, 03:01:52 PM
This is kind of cool

more pics     Here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192766119762?ul_noapp=true
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 03:11:31 PM by SteveC »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Vintage Garden pruner pocket knife
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:32:42 PM
This is kind of cool

(Image removed from quote.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192766119762?ul_noapp=true

really cool that this has a tiny shear
even more unfolding from the rear  :popcorn: :o
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 05:15:16 PM
It was $196.50 worth of cool,for someone.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 10:38:28 PM
And someone was apparently able to cough up the nearly $200 for it. I feel queasy any time I blow over $20.    That is the first I've seen that type of mechanism for the shear.  The "D.R. Patent" means its German, I'm almost sure postwar. I looked up D.R. Patent 100450, and found nothing. I'd like to know who made it myself.  I'm sure Ray might know.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 12:08:37 AM
Definitely an interesting old MT.  First one I've seen with that particular folding mechanism - makes it very compact with everything folded in.

It was obviously very popular going by the winning bid.  I wonder if an MTo member won it ?  (bids were private so I couldn't see if it was one of the usual suspects).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 03:42:23 AM
Neat item.   I've seen similar mechanisms on fishing scissors.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 04:28:23 AM
Neat!!
Barry

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 07:36:55 AM
And someone was apparently able to cough up the nearly $200 for it. I feel queasy any time I blow over $20.    That is the first I've seen that type of mechanism for the shear.  The "D.R. Patent" means its German, I'm almost sure postwar. I looked up D.R. Patent 100450, and found nothing. I'd like to know who made it myself.  I'm sure Ray might know.
I don't know who made that one but I have a similar model by Hoffritz. The one I have doesn't really function very well;the latch to hold the folding handle keeps moving sideways and releasing the handle.
HoffritzKnife 002.jpg
* HoffritzKnife 002.jpg (Filesize: 96.14 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 09:47:33 PM
I don't know who made that one but I have a similar model by Hoffritz. The one I have doesn't really function very well;the latch to hold the folding handle keeps moving sideways and releasing the handle.

I believe Bonsa manufactured kits with similar pruner knives.  I know Jsews has several.
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 05:48:04 AM

I believe Bonsa manufactured kits with similar pruner knives.  I know Jsews has several.

The one in the OP has quite a different folding handle mechanism to the one shown by Ray S.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:49:13 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 06:43:09 PM

The one in the OP has quite a different folding handle mechanism to the one shown by Ray S.

Agreed.  Definitely different ways of bringing the pruners to bear.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 07:37:05 PM
Protocol uses a similar mechanism on some of their Frankenstienian multi tools.

IMG_0681.JPG
* IMG_0681.JPG (Filesize: 12.82 KB)

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 02:14:51 PM
Protocol uses a similar mechanism on some of their Frankenstienian multi tools.

That looks like a copy of the Wenger Ranger plier mechanism (and I'm sure I've seen similar designs elsewhere, but my imperfect memory refuses to supply any details.)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%