Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

kamakiri's Former Lurker / New Member Intro (long read)

kamakiri · 234 · 12470

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: kamakiri's Former Lurker / New Member Intro (long read)
Reply #150 on: March 26, 2019, 03:42:08 AM
I'm using Ballistol since the early '80s and trust it.
It is slightly alkalic though, but never had a problem with it on my SAKs and MTs  :think:
I always oil the liner areas too as you said.

I had a very very slight grinding problem on the other '80s Traveller on 3 implements but they were unused and not as highly polished as they are these days. It quickly went away.

Never any of those problems on newer SAKs.

No worries Grant, it's got better already and snaps open and close with no grinding. Just not super slick.

How's your project going?  :popcorn:

No real progress on the current project...I haven't had much continuous knife time so I've been mostly doing minor repairs and cleaning recent arrivals.

Also got a little side-tracked on some nickel silver pin production:

I've forgotten how much I dislike turning pins down from 3/32".  Been itching to do a vintage resto-mod and some repairs that'll need the 2.2mm pins.  Not looking forward to turning long sections.

Spring (the season) cleaning is taking up way more of my free time than I thought...and I'm nowhere near being done.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #151 on: March 27, 2019, 09:14:51 AM
Vintage resto-mod? Interesting  :popcorn:
Turning down pinstock? How much braided wire do you need?  :rofl:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #152 on: October 27, 2021, 07:58:39 AM
90mm ‘crab claw’ with a phillips?

:dunno:

And this wasn’t well received in the mod forum…so I thought I’d drop this here too. Figured out how to ‘cut‘ the rivet heads so that bushings, liners, and vintage scales go through disassembly without damage or perhaps less damage than by drilling. Still a work in progress…and that’s all I’m saying about it. Here are the pics of what I did yesterday and today.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #153 on: October 27, 2021, 11:23:24 PM
Very interesting old knife KK - I guess there can't be many SAKs with that design of opener and the Phillips as the can-opener went out and Phillips came in round about the same time.

The pin removal technique sounds interesting - It's always a tricky job to do - Can you enlighten us some more on the approach pls?

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #154 on: October 30, 2021, 08:40:34 PM
Very interesting old knife KK - I guess there can't be many SAKs with that design of opener and the Phillips as the can-opener went out and Phillips came in round about the same time.
Yes, and not many are known in 90/91mm. Some doubt their existence. The big question is wether tge Phillips is from earlier than Victorinox’s records/estimate/published date or that the crab claws lasted longer.

The pin removal technique sounds interesting - It's always a tricky job to do - Can you enlighten us some more on the approach pls?
It’s a work in progress and everyone in the mod forum isn’t happy that I’m not providing more details.  :dunno:

It is letting me move forward with some projects I had on the back burner. Also tested the method on vintage ribbed Alox. Made this 111mm yesterday:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #155 on: November 10, 2021, 06:53:06 AM
Took the parts from the OH blade donor for the above mod and put a 100mm hawksbill where the main blade was. Gonna be nice to have this blade with the liner lock. I’ve had too many instances of ‘good thing I was wearing gloves’ using it.

Everything works well, so I’ll be moving forward with the Workchamp version with both features OHO Slide lock and this style liner lock 100mm pruner ‘XS’ added.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #156 on: November 11, 2021, 08:26:04 PM
Ugh.  One of the projects I was working on ended in disappointment. Was reducing an Explorer to a Passenger but failed to notice that the main blade sits low and makes contact either the spacer and liner at the tip. Looked at pics before the tear-down from yesterday, and there it was…main blade sitting too low.  :cry:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #157 on: November 11, 2021, 08:39:56 PM
Looks okay aside from that…

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #158 on: November 11, 2021, 10:28:32 PM
Can the main blade be slightly reshaped to fit the liners?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #159 on: November 11, 2021, 11:24:48 PM
Yes, reducing the tip by sharpening or reproducing another millimeter+ or so would make it clear. I took a bit off the corner of the round of the tang to help a bit. But it’s hard to work the material that way in an assembled knife. Still hangs low.

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #160 on: November 12, 2021, 12:55:33 AM
Yes, reducing the tip by sharpening or reproducing another millimeter+ or so would make it clear. I took a bit off the corner of the round of the tang to help a bit. But it’s hard to work the material that way in an assembled knife. Still hangs low.
Thanks for checking. Was this due to the donor? Is it easier to start with a Spartan and add the magnifier than to remove a layer from an Explorer?

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #161 on: November 12, 2021, 01:26:45 AM
Thanks for checking. Was this due to the donor? Is it easier to start with a Spartan and add the magnifier than to remove a layer from an Explorer?

Yeah the original problem was with the donor. Unfortunately, it wouldn’t be easier for me to start with the spartan. The spartan would end up with shorter pins and likely mismatching parts. I was just distracted/excited/pleased when I took the scales off that they matched my date estimate for the knife exactly. The front scale is dated ‘98 and the back one ‘99. I just failed to double check everything before cleaning or tear down.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #162 on: November 12, 2021, 01:48:51 AM
There was a ding on the mag bezel that I reduced somewhat.

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #163 on: November 12, 2021, 02:12:57 AM
👍

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #164 on: November 13, 2021, 04:49:58 AM
 :woohoo:
Buttoned up a few mods today, but this one took the most work. Changed a few things from what I planned earlier. Liner lock works great and with the 111mm frame it’ll be a whole lot safer.

It’s a Trekker with the 100mm hawksbill swapped plus a hook.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #165 on: November 19, 2021, 04:20:58 AM
84mm Scissors with a Hook?

Internal/design pics in the mod forum in hulk’s thread  here:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,88434.msg2296650.html#msg2296650

Still need to finish the cosmetic trimming and polishing, but the mechanics are 100% done.

In a nutshell:
No trimmed blades, tip sits inside alox scale profile.
No added or externally visible joints in backspring or tools.
Don’t break the scissor spring!!! Not serviceable without taking the knife apart.
Snap is insane. Avoiding the original pivot hole limits how close the new round of the tang can be. And I left over 1mm of material. Could go thinner, but didn’t.
Hook sits ~0.5mm proud. Reducing or eliminating this is possible, but lots of work and I wanted to see what could be done without modifying the hook itself.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #166 on: November 19, 2021, 04:36:43 AM
Pics from fit testing

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #167 on: November 27, 2021, 02:30:32 AM
Processing the recent arrivals…

Found this one that needed a 1-minute fix.

The cool thing about the knife is that it’s c.’81 and has a stainless advertising inlay and a rare-ish back shield in nickel silver.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #168 on: November 27, 2021, 02:35:10 AM
Speaking of nickel silver.

This smurfy plastic had to go…

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #169 on: November 27, 2021, 02:41:31 AM
Both projects from above

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #170 on: November 29, 2021, 03:21:31 AM
Not much knife time today. Punched these out and prepped some other stuff for 2.2mm pins.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #171 on: December 01, 2021, 02:24:31 AM
Just a test fit…

Serrated Bantam X

74mm scissors
4 knives used for donor parts.

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #172 on: December 01, 2021, 05:48:35 AM
Just a test fit…

Serrated Bantam X

74mm scissors
👍

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #173 on: December 01, 2021, 06:05:10 AM
Just a test fit…

Serrated Bantam X

74mm scissors
Nice!
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #174 on: December 01, 2021, 09:09:43 AM
Excellent work, Kamakiri! :like: :like:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #175 on: December 01, 2021, 04:24:44 PM
 :cheers: Thanks guys!

I still have to decide if I’m going to assemble this one as shown. Other options for this knife are to flip the orientation of the 74mm scissors or switch to 91mm ones with the hook, or do another spring for the no hook 91mm.

The small advantage of this orientation is that the exposed profile of the scissors completely fits within the profile of the main blade when closed. Bad part is that those two nail nicks are pretty close.

:-\ Decisions, decisions.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #176 on: December 03, 2021, 12:56:27 AM

:-\ Decisions, decisions.

Ok. Couldn’t stand it any longer and pulled the temporary end pins and put nickel silver ones I turned. Center pin is reused from one of the Cadets I pulled apart. Trimmed pins for a flush fit.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #177 on: December 03, 2021, 08:56:02 AM
That looks great, Kamakiri! :like: :like: :cheers:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #178 on: December 03, 2021, 03:55:18 PM
That looks great, Kamakiri! :like: :like: :cheers:
Thanks, Rizio!  :cheers:

The reality is that I put in two tools that needed a lot of sharpening!  The Serrated Recruit was the worst of the ones I had in the donor box. The 74mm scissor came from a well used money clip that I needed for something else a while back. Serrated blade was just completely dull in the 3 teeth toward the tip. Lots of bends at most of the tips of the teeth. So the factory grind had to go completely, which I hate doing. Scissors are done, but gonna take me some time to get the blade where I want it for a user.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #179 on: December 05, 2021, 05:12:32 AM

Boom. The hard part is done!

Best part was not breaking or shattering anything to do it!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%