Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OLIGHT i3T EOS vs FENIX LD01

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
on: January 01, 2019, 07:09:57 PM
I didn't consider myself a collector of flashlights until I started counting just how many I had.  It's kind of like that alox addiction.
I had a little Christmas money, and thought I'd check out OLIGHT.  I've heard good things here, and thought I'd branch out from my usual Fenix purchases.  I was surprised to see that OLight had some pretty affordable AAA sized lights.  In particular, the i3E looks like the equivalent of the Fenix E05, and the i3T EOS looks comparable to the LD01/LD02.  In both cases, the OLight MSRP is about half that of the equivalent Fenix.  So I order myself the i3T EOS for $20.
Let's start with the manufacturer's specifications:

LD01:
Low - 3 Lumens, 27 hrs
Med - 26 Lumens, 3 hrs 8 min
Hi - 72 Lumens, 1 hr, 28 min

i3T EOS:
Low - 5 Lumens, 16 hrs
Hi - 180 Lumens, 21 min

The LD01 (which I own) is a twisty head, and I find it awkward to change modes, so I was immediately pleased with the tail switch on the i3T.  That's sort of a wash because the LD01 has been discontinued for some time, replaced by the LD02 which has a tail switch.  That aside, the i3T has a blended hot spot in the center, with a lot of spill and a wide penumbra (second photo).  In particular, the Low mode on the i3T is much more useful than the Low mode on the LD01.  It is quickly evident from the brightness levels and run times that the i3T really needs a Medium setting.  With just the two modes the interface is as simple as it gets (Low - High) with no annoying strobe modes.  The tail switch protrudes, so it's easy to activate, but it won't tail stand.  It comes with OLight's new "dual direction pocket clip".  This is a great idea, you can put it in your pocket head down, and then clip on your hat brim head out without having to reverse the clip.  The i3T is a bit larger and heaver than the LD01.  I measure the LD01 at 3 inches and the i3T at 3-1/2 inches.  By comparison, the Fenix E05 is only 2-5/8 inches long.  The i3T also runs much hotter than the LD01.  I guess I'll have to spend some time with this light to decide if I like it more or less than the LD01.

Pros:
- Lots of light for a $20 flashlight
- The included "dual direction pocket clip"
- Tail switch with simple Low - High interface

Cons:
- Short run times, no Medium setting
- Doesn't tail stand
- Runs hot
i3T vs LD01 - 1 (2).jpg
* i3T vs LD01 - 1 (2).jpg (Filesize: 123.09 KB)
i3T vs LD01 - 1 (1).jpg
* i3T vs LD01 - 1 (1).jpg (Filesize: 35.05 KB)
- Steve

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: OLIGHT i3T EOS vs FENIX LD01
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 07:24:40 PM
Nice. :cheers:  I hadn't really looked at the i3T before, but it looks like a useful little light.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 07:47:53 PM
I have it in copper and really love that little light :dd: it has been used on my hat brim a few times and it feels like a very sturdy light :tu:

Thanks for the review and pics :cheers: :like:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 08:47:56 PM
Thanks for the review,the LD01 is very old compared to the brand new Olight though especially in Flashlight Years!

I have never really understood the Fenix naming conventions either here?
The LD01 is much more comparable to the E05 to me and the E05 is an excellent little light and a worthy successor to the LD01 and also available in SS as was the LD01.

The LD02 on the other hand is really nothing like the 01 aside from battery type as the rear forward switch makes it a completely different light and much like the Olight here really.

If you like the smaller lights too maybe take a look at the ET D25aaa which might be my real pick of this type overall as you can get it in a HiCri version with a terrible but fixed attachment clip and a magnetic tail.
This is the light of this size that I still carry the most although the E05 is a great light I really appreciate a really low,low which Fenix still does not?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 08:54:37 PM by ezdog »

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 10:03:04 PM
Thanks for the review,the LD01 is very old compared to the brand new Olight though especially in Flashlight Years!

I have never really understood the Fenix naming conventions either here?
I haven't bought an LD02 (either version) but the basic specs are about the same (I think the LD01 are better, so much for improvement).  Here are the manufacturer's specs for the LD02 v2.0:

Low - 1 Lumen, 75 Hrs
Med - 25 Lumens, 2 hr, 40 min
Hi - 70 Lumens, 40 min

The numbering for the models is one thing, the designations for upgrades is even worse:
The E05 became the E05 2016 Edition, Several other models became Ultimate Edition, the LD01 became the LD02 became the LD02 V2.0!  A little consistency would be nice.
- Steve

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD