Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Traditional Challenge (30 Days)

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
My Traditional Challenge (30 Days)
on: January 02, 2019, 11:53:52 PM
I participated in the original Traditional challenge, but forgot to request the badge. I decided I'd just start over, as I've acquired a lot of new traditional knives since then.

Today I carried the Taylor's Eye Witness Lambsfoot in my jeans, and switched to a Zippo (Case) Cut About when I put my sweatpants on for the evening. Zippo knives are hugely underappreciated and go cheap, despite being mostly Case made and of excellent quality.  The action on this lockback is some of the smoothest I've had.

And I also recently got the SMKW catalog. I'm interested in the 112LT, but will probably wait and see if SK Blades does a Shield or Smokejumper equivalent in the 112LT frame, as I like the steel and reasonable cost. I'm really liking my 110LT Shield a lot.  On another note, Rough Rider is now "Rough Ryder" which in my mind is completely pointless, unless it was an older trademark SMKW is trying to hold on to (I've seen Rough Ryder knives made in Ireland in the early 1990s).  Guess SMKW is trying to make them "collectible" as they did with the "parts bin special" LB-7s assembled in China with ISC parts.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:40:59 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: My Traditional Challenge (30 Days)
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 12:29:09 AM
Looking forward to this challenge!  :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:34:25 AM
Sounds a great challenge  :tu: :like:
Good luck cody  :cheers:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 06:25:14 AM
 :iagree:
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 12:27:20 PM
Good luck in the challenge and great pic to start us with :like: :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 02:15:34 PM
Good luck in your challenge cody !  :tu:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 03:08:13 AM
1980s Camillus Cub Scout. In my mind, the best of the Scout-type knives, particularly those typically found for under $20 and in good condition.  My favorite features are the locks on the awl and screwdriver (where you're likely to be applying a downward, twisting motion) but not on its small blade (where with that size, it's rarely necessary, plus the CSA has a half-stop on its blade). Plus, after years of carrying a Medium Stockman, I'm just used to the size. Same reason I carry the Victorinox Tourist more than the Spartan.

The brochure is for the American LaFrance Patriot, a model originally designed by Hahn before the ALF buyout in 1991. The Patriot was produced here in Bluefield from 1992-1994. The belt buckle is for the flagship model produced during the Bluefield-era of American LaFrance (1986-1994), the Century 2000, and represents the first one built, originally delivered to Albany, New York.  It is a limited edition, serial number 71 out of 300? (I haven't seen anything bigger than the high 200s for serials on these), produced in 1989 by Creative Concepts of Washington, WV. Toy fire truck is the Majorette "Pompier" from the late 1980s, and is a generic model based off the first generation Elmira, NY made CEntury (made from the late 1970 to early 1980s. A few were built as special order one offs at the department's request in Bluefield

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 12:39:36 PM
Good write up cody  :tu: :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 03:40:29 PM
I had one many years back and it was a great knife!
Barry

us Offline cody6268

Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 01:25:36 AM
Landers, Frary, and Clark 0288 Wharncliffe. My oldest folder, dating to the late 1920s-early 1930s.  Oldest I've seen is in a 1928 catalog. Great snap, and minimal wobble. Action is incredibly smooth, rivaling $100 knives.  The only big problem is that the "Improved Stag" or "Rubberoid" (Bakelite) scales are cracked. At least LF&C had enough sense to use something that doesn't outgas. Keep trying to retire it, but no one makes a true "Wharncliffe" pattern today, just serpentine pen knives with a Wharncliffe main.   No one makes 'em like they used to!

Along with my oldest knife period, a J. Russell Green River Works wallpaper hanger's knfie, dating from the 1860s to early 1900s; though I think it's from the 1880s-1890s more specifically. In pretty decent shape for something over a century old; with only paint (or plaster) on its wood handle.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 01:27:33 AM
Very nice!!
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 03:40:00 AM
 :like:

us Offline David

Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 04:10:37 AM
 :tu:    :like:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 05:49:23 AM

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 12:28:54 PM
Excellent challenge cody :tu: :like:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 01:32:00 AM
2014 Case Carhartt Wharncliffe Mini Trapper in "Rugged Duck" G-10. Hard to believe I waited about 4 years to buy this knife. They first appeared at Magic Mart, a local (now defunct) department store chain for $60, then $40, then at that price for years. This past summer, during the closing sale, I got it for $28. Interesting was that it was the only Case left at that point, when everything was just 30 percent off.  Great grippy handle material and a strong half-stop. Problem is that like most Tru-Sharp Cases, I had to sharpen it out of the box.   Considering getting another Mini Trapper, but there's just so many! 

While watching Highway Thru H(e)ll tonight, I decided to rig it up to my Tomica Yokohama Super Ranger (an elite specialized urban search and rescue team attached to the Yokohama, Japan Municipal Fire Bureau) Hino Profia/Century 1040SDU wrecker.   They use the wrecker for lifting heavy debris and vehicles someone may be trapped under more than they do recovering vehicles. It is a "rotator" meaning the boom can rotate 360 degrees, but since Tomica in designing it, didn't include outriggers or spades that could extend (and giving already, at the $8 price point, they crammed enough stuff on it already, there was no budget left), it will only lift heavier objects like the knife from the rear, else it will tip over with the wheel lift stabilizing it. But it can be displayed with the boom rotated 90 degrees, lifting or rolling over a lightweight plastic HO scale truck. Problem is that even in this position, the sturdiest for lifting, the boom wanted to lower on its own. So I had to act fast in taking the photos.

us Offline David

Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 02:11:56 AM
2014 Case Carhartt Wharncliffe Mini Trapper in "Rugged Duck" G-10. Hard to believe I waited about 4 years to buy this knife. They first appeared at Magic Mart, a local (now defunct) department store chain for $60, then $40, then at that price for years. This past summer, during the closing sale, I got it for $28. Interesting was that it was the only Case left at that point, when everything was just 30 percent off.  Great grippy handle material and a strong half-stop. Problem is that like most Tru-Sharp Cases, I had to sharpen it out of the box.   Considering getting another Mini Trapper, but there's just so many! 

While watching Highway Thru H(e)ll tonight, I decided to rig it up to my Tomica Yokohama Super Ranger (an elite specialized urban search and rescue team attached to the Yokohama, Japan Municipal Fire Bureau) Hino Profia/Century 1040SDU wrecker.   They use the wrecker for lifting heavy debris and vehicles someone may be trapped under more than they do recovering vehicles. It is a "rotator" meaning the boom can rotate 360 degrees, but since Tomica in designing it, didn't include outriggers or spades that could extend (and giving already, at the $8 price point, they crammed enough stuff on it already, there was no budget left), it will only lift heavier objects like the knife from the rear, else it will tip over with the wheel lift stabilizing it. But it can be displayed with the boom rotated 90 degrees, lifting or rolling over a lightweight plastic HO scale truck. Problem is that even in this position, the sturdiest for lifting, the boom wanted to lower on its own. So I had to act fast in taking the photos.

Hold Fast

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 07:17:33 AM
That's a sweet knife Cody!  I'm a big Case fan, especially Trappers and Mini Trappers.
Barry

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 12:35:16 PM
Nice one cody  :tu: :like:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 06:15:08 PM
Case Pakkawood '65-69 6265 Folding Hunter and an unidentified Kaufmann.  Kaufmann is well known for the Mercator knife, and this 3 3/4" closed knife uses similar construction, but does not have the "Black Cat" on it or a Mercator tang stamp, just "Kaufmann" and on the other side of the blade "SOLINGEN GERMANY". I presume others without advertising may have had the Black Cat; this one advertises a rope company. Coincidentally, that's not my main use. That's what the Spyderco Ladybug Salt is for.

Also Victorinox Silvertech Huntsman and Elliot Lucas C/1848 pliers with 1952 British Ministry of Defence mark. They're still in great shape (heck, the cutters, even worn cut better than many of my MTs new), only problem with these is some kind of residue (plaster?) spattered around.  Problem is I think I'm a little too used to modern, compound leverage pliers.

us Offline David

Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 06:27:12 PM
Case Pakkawood '65-69 6265 Folding Hunter and an unidentified Kaufmann.  Kaufmann is well known for the Mercator knife, and this 3 3/4" closed knife uses similar construction, but does not have the "Black Cat" on it or a Mercator tang stamp, just "Kaufmann" and on the other side of the blade "SOLINGEN GERMANY". I presume others without advertising may have had the Black Cat; this one advertises a rope company. Coincidentally, that's not my main use. That's what the Spyderco Ladybug Salt is for.

Also Victorinox Silvertech Huntsman and Elliot Lucas C/1848 pliers with 1952 British Ministry of Defence mark. They're still in great shape (heck, the cutters, even worn cut better than many of my MTs new), only problem with these is some kind of residue (plaster?) spattered around.  Problem is I think I'm a little too used to modern, compound leverage pliers.

Reckon that Case 6265 is sweet! Like those pliers also.    :like:
Hold Fast

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 06:28:35 PM
Nice information  :tu: :like:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 07:16:08 PM

Reckon that Case 6265 is sweet! Like those pliers also.    :like:

It is! I sharpened it when I inherited it 2 years ago, and it hasn't needed another sharpening since. I don't know if it's the sabre grind or what, but it holds a great edge.  The only real age problem is that when my great-uncle (the original owner) had it, he broke the tip of the skinning blade somehow (which might I add, being left handed, is the blade I use the most). 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 07:36:38 PM
Nice lineup!
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 04:13:56 AM
Some very interesting knives in this challenge so far cody :tu: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 06:37:07 PM
That Case Hunter is a real eye-catcher.  :like:  :tu:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 01:15:33 AM
Case 2014 LT347 Tan Caliber Lightweight Stockman.   Case seems to be discontinuing these a lot; as they don't sell well. I bought this one in mid-2018 along with a Muskrat from Shepherd Hills Cutlery, one of Case's biggest dealers, and yet still, it had that old stamp.  And I can see why, the fit and finish is nowhere near the nicer Cases. And they don't have a good edge on them when you get 'em.   But, at the $14-15 I've been picking up these Calibers, I think they're a true Rough Rider fighter in the market.  I'm buying three more (another 47, the 18 Medium Stockman, and the 54 Trapper) at the same price when I have the funds. They're in pink camo, but I view these heavily discounted Calibers as a great Case to buy to use hard.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 12:24:41 PM
That’s not a bad price that
you have got them for cody  :tu: :like:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 03:12:31 AM
Which is exactly why I like them. A full size, USA made traditional pattern for under $20 USD? You can't go wrong! And they carry well, no matter what I'm wearing.

Chose Buck 110 LT "Shield (SK Blades exclusive) as the primary, but as the MT I chose the Wave to carry today, and since it has neither an awl nor a decent bottle opener, I added the Camillus Cub Scout Knife. This evening, I put the Kaufmann "Mini Mercator" in my sweatpants.

The 110LT was a gamechanger for me. Never again would I have to wear a sheath to carry the 110. And the CPM 154 steel really holds an edge.  Not to mention, at just under $40 this special edition with a super steel came in at about the same, or a few bucks less than a standard 110.  But I've got to get the tape residue off, especially given how bad it looks when corn dust from the sheep feed sticks to it.  I like the small, slim Kaufmann more every time I carry it. It's thin and light. 3 3/4 closed is what I consider "ideal", and the tapered blade (thin at the tip, thick at the spine) is really nice. And whatever alloy of carbon steel they used (I presume C75) is great.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 03:30:42 AM
You're in good company 110 wise buddy!  We're almost all 110 fans!
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD