Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SEALs gear and tools

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
SEALs gear and tools
on: January 05, 2019, 05:19:21 PM
Hey, peeps, I found this interesting bit of info on another forum and thought to share. :salute:
This is the knife display at the USN UDT/SEAL Museum located in Ft Pierce Florida. This is what some SEAL teams carry or have carried in their missions  :o

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: SEALs gear and tools
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 05:26:56 PM
I see 2 SAKs and 4 MTs in there.  You don't happen to know what models do you?
- Steve

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 05:35:36 PM
 :nothingtoadd:

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 08:09:46 PM
The 3rd knife in the middle row looks a bit unpractical?

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 08:25:22 PM
 :dunno:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 08:46:42 PM
RF, are you referring to this one?

It was called the 'BuckMaster'.  It was developed by Buck as a 'survival knife' possibly with the SEALs in mind (?).  The two spikes on the guard are removable (for normal use). The spikes get installed to transform the Buck 184 into a grapnel hook. I think the handle is hollow, intended to be used to stash 'survival' gear.

I've heard that the knife actually gets pretty good reviews....except it's very heavy. I think the weight killed it and the 184 got dropped. Apparently the 184 inspired the 185, the BuckMaster LT:

I don't know much about the 185 knife, but it does look lighter!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:50:16 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 08:48:51 PM
Found this about the 185:

The Buck Model 185 was not made very long and discontinued in 1989. According to Joe Houser at Buck Knives there where only about 6000 made from 1986 to 1989. Joe said "1986 we made 4000. We only made another 2000 before dropping it from the line in 1989".

hr Offline styx

Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 08:59:52 PM
Nix is there anything you don't know?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 09:09:20 PM
I've discussed knives with a few SEALs, mostly older SEALs, most of them liked the Kabar USMC knives, but the Mk3 Dive knife was also popular, despite the weak tip.

USMC:

Mk3:

I guess SEALs are not gentle with their gear; I had one SEAL tell me he would never carry an expensive knife because he was just to hard on them. These guys also developed a non-magnetic knife for underwater work. I think it's at the bottom of the row with the BuckMaster. I forget the name of that one (MPK maybe?).

With regard to SAK's I know a couple of SEALs mentioned to me that they like SAK's with saw blades, but I don't recall a specific model. I'd be willing to bet the Camper or Farmer would be a prime choice, but I wouldn't bet against a Fieldmaster.

It always seemed to me that I was much fussier about the knives I carried than were the SEALs I've met and talked with. Always a mistake to generalize, but as a bunch they seem like pretty pragmatic people.

I don't know if today's SEALs have been bitten by the knife bug and are using fancier stuff. At one point, I thought I had heard Cold Steel's SRK was being used in training. Most military PX's carry the SRK as well as still carrying the venerable USMC Kabar.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 09:09:49 PM
Nix is there anything you don't know?

I don't know?

:rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 09:10:45 PM
I've been alive for a while and I've picked up a few things along the way.  :D

The older I get, the more I realize how much I don't know!   :rofl:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 09:40:28 PM
As cool as the SEALs are in song and story, they are probably victim to the same foibles as any government org, and have a lot of gear decided by committee (or contract), which may or may not meet the original intent or requirements of the user.

the user themselves is also not necessarily objective in their criteria and selection, and officially requested gear, or privately purchased gear, is just as likely to be affected by personal whims or fantasies.

of cause, I'd be putting whole departments of colonels and aides, hangers-on, speech writers, misc support staff out of business if I just said "All Government agencies get Mora Knives, move on" the economy would probably collapse.

se Offline RF52

Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 12:18:07 AM
RF, are you referring to this one?

(Image removed from quote.)

It was called the 'BuckMaster'.  It was developed by Buck as a 'survival knife' possibly with the SEALs in mind (?).  The two spikes on the guard are removable (for normal use). The spikes get installed to transform the Buck 184 into a grapnel hook. I think the handle is hollow, intended to be used to stash 'survival' gear.

I've heard that the knife actually gets pretty good reviews....except it's very heavy. I think the weight killed it and the 184 got dropped. Apparently the 184 inspired the 185, the BuckMaster LT:

(Image removed from quote.)

I don't know much about the 185 knife, but it does look lighter!
That's the one I still think it looks awkward to use even if the grappling hook conversion makes it kind of cool!

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 01:52:26 AM
Does anyone know what the folder? is in the top left hand corner?

The SAKs:

Victorinox Explorer (in fact, if you zoom in; you cansee it clearly)

And Victorinox C-something another. By the length of the word, guessing Champion or Craftsman, likely the latter more than former.

Gerbers:

MP600SS, MP600BO, MP600DET.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 01:57:12 AM
Better pic

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:58:57 AM by SteveC »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 02:01:01 AM
Does anyone know what the folder? is in the top left hand corner?

The SAKs:

Victorinox Explorer (in fact, if you zoom in; you cansee it clearly)

And Victorinox C-something another. By the length of the word, guessing Champion or Craftsman, likely the latter more than former.

Gerbers:

MP600SS, MP600BO, MP600DET.

It's labeled as a multipurpose folding demo knife

Zoomable pic  Here
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:45:24 AM by SteveC »

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 02:38:26 AM
The Navy UDT / SEAL museum is very interesting.  I went there a couple of years ago, and of course I have the same picture of that display.  It's really hard to get the whole display in one picture because it is tall and behind glass.  If you step back far enough to get everything in one picture you're too far to clearly read the labels.  But I also took pictures showing an early Leatherman Wave, SEAL delivery vehicles outside, and the statue in front of the museum called Swim Buddies, which is dedicated to 2 SEALs who completed a mission on 31, Oct. 1972 in which both earned the Congressional Medal of Honor.
P1110086.JPG
* P1110086.JPG (Filesize: 141.35 KB)
P1110089.JPG
* P1110089.JPG (Filesize: 162.19 KB)
P1110092.JPG
* P1110092.JPG (Filesize: 110.16 KB)
P1110094.JPG
* P1110094.JPG (Filesize: 172.83 KB)

hr Offline styx

Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 10:02:02 AM
makes sense they would use something practical. oddly enough all of my friends that are former Marines haven't moved far away from the Ka-Bar even though not all of them were issued that knife. even more odd when bumming around with them and talking with them, they managed to infect me with an affinity for sub 5" fixed blades

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 04:21:34 PM
Great thread, Peacent :tu: :like: That is very cool to see what different SEAL members have carried over the years :o :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 06:34:51 PM
so, Swisschamp and Explorer, Gerbers (Which seems to confirm that the main issue Multi Tools are Gerbers in the US), a few Leatherman tools, KaBars, SOGs (also confirming that in their past glorious times they were involved in the military  ::)), and the one on top of the Gerber Trident at the bottom looks like a Mad Dog one?  :think:

thanks for the additional pics!  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 12:03:56 AM
First Edge has been contracted since 2016, to make the new 5050 Navy SEAL blade:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:04:58 AM by eTripper »
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 03:01:54 AM
Thats a nice looking blade  :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 05:56:14 AM
 :iagree:

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 06:56:33 AM
It reminds me a little of the British MOD 4 issue knife, in some respects.

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 07:00:04 AM
Sorry, double-post.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:04:11 AM by eTripper »

hr Offline styx

Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 10:25:58 AM
If I remember correctly that MOD 4 was an inspiration for the BK2

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #26 on: January 19, 2019, 09:47:40 PM
I have had the pleasure to enjoy time with several former Navy veterans.  When a discussion would surface concerning equipment, as knives, MTs, and even side arms, the advice provided was usually, "whatever knife that will cut, stab, and cause blood to flow," MT that would be any issued or available, and any sidearm that "shot straight  every time the trigger  was pulled."  If tool did not performed, it likely never pulled again.

For deployments, they would take personal selected tools to have on base, usually without personal attachment, yet missions may require set specs.

Buck does have a very nice fix blade designed by a former Navy Seal, the "245".   https://www.buckknives.com/product/245-matt-would-go/0245MCSMWG2-B/     

It is one knife I know for certain was designed by a Seal and is marketed to his honor.   Presently out of stock.

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 05:42:58 PM
RF, are you referring to this one

Here are 2 pics of my Buckmaster.

Click on pics for best pictures.
GEDC0514.JPG
* GEDC0514.JPG (Filesize: 303.75 KB)
GEDC0515.JPG
* GEDC0515.JPG (Filesize: 302.54 KB)

se Offline RF52

Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 10:11:34 PM
RF, are you referring to this one

Here are 2 pics of my Buckmaster.

Click on pics for best pictures.
But where are the spikes?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 10:42:10 PM
Sweet Buckmaster Vman !  :like: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds