Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Next MultiTool

us Offline svashtar

Next MultiTool
on: February 05, 2019, 02:01:19 AM
I realized that with only 3 MT's (1993 PST, MUT with bits and extension, Wave+ with bits and extension), I'm way behind some of your guys.   :D  So, based on the recent Military Multitool thread I was looking at the big Surge, and I'm also looking at the Charge+ TTi.

So, a couple of questions: 

1) The factory blurb on the Surge says it's one of the two largest MT's in the Leatherman lineup.  What's the other?  The 300? MUT?

2) I want any tool I have to be upgraded if possible, so am squandering a few bucks on 154CM standard and serrated blades from Loki for the Wave+.  With those upgraded blades, will there any difference between my Wave+ and the Charge+ TTi (although I think that's S30V)?  Of course buying 8 identical knives in the past with only handle material differences doesn't show I have much restraint, but other than the SS vs. Ti handles I was wondering if the Charge+ has anything over the Wave+?

3) For the Wave+, the only way I could get the bit sleeves into the case was to upgrade to the 4.5" snap case, which I really like.  Does anyone know if you can get those driver bit sleeves into the standard snap case that comes with the Surge?

4) I really like the looks of the black oxide, and the MUT has that and I haven't had any problems with it, but I read several reviews of folks complaining about it scratching or rubbing off.  That's why I didn't get the black / chrome combo special edition Wave+ when I could have (kicking myself).  But now I'm thinking about getting that combo finish one with the Surge.  Any tricks to taking care of the black?  Maybe clean it with acetone first?  I don't think a quick wipe would hurt it.

5) Any other models I should consider?  That's a wide open question for sure, but if there's some with specific tools or applications, that would be good to know, or recommendations about tools from SOG or Gerber?

Not sure if I'll get many more.  I have the Wave+ for EDC, the old PST for a small bag at work, and the MUT for a range bag.  The Surge would be for the car, and the Charge+ for...  well, for something, LOL!

6) Finally, on the Wave+ blade upgrades:  you need two driver bits to get the old blades off, correct?  I have a security bit set, but think there's only one bit and I figure I'll need two.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any info!
"Civil Defense thru Civil Disobedience.  Never Disarm!"

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Re: Next MultiTool
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 09:08:35 AM
-Surge, ST300 and and MUT have the same pliers, and theyr the biggest in LMN
-Old Charge Ti have 154CM blades, new Charge TTI have s30v blades. Charge Al come with 154CM blade. Wave has 420HC blade. You can go on 154CM or S30V , the difference is not so big, on the paper it is a difference yet in reality...neeeehhh
-Some sheets have some elastic part that allow you to insert some add ons, like 1 set of bits. if you want to go with 2 and a Wave...you can get the Surge sleeve
-Surge is big and heavy, those scissors are great. Why not wait for the Free P series
-BO looks ugly after a time, it is resistent yet if you use it it will get scratches and will look acward, i changed my BO Wave with a stainless Wave, yet its just taste, if you want to be more tactical
You can look at Victorinox, handyman, Cybertool etc, if you just want to go for numbers and flavours
Sanger's laws:

-any problem has more than one resolve!

-by the way you look at the problem, the resolve may change!

-where's a will there's a way !

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 09:10:00 AM
here you can see what you need to open and reassemble a Wave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPVHZCcDeOY
Sanger's laws:

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 09:10:39 AM
sorry, this is for the dissasembly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf3MMV9H_Wk
Sanger's laws:

us Offline svashtar

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 07:12:03 PM
here you can see what you need to open and reassemble a Wave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPVHZCcDeOY

Great!  Just the info I needed, thanks. 

us Offline svashtar

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 07:16:57 PM
-Surge, ST300 and and MUT have the same pliers, and theyr the biggest in LMN
-Old Charge Ti have 154CM blades, new Charge TTI have s30v blades. Charge Al come with 154CM blade. Wave has 420HC blade. You can go on 154CM or S30V , the difference is not so big, on the paper it is a difference yet in reality...neeeehhh
-Some sheets have some elastic part that allow you to insert some add ons, like 1 set of bits. if you want to go with 2 and a Wave...you can get the Surge sleeve
-Surge is big and heavy, those scissors are great. Why not wait for the Free P series
-BO looks ugly after a time, it is resistent yet if you use it it will get scratches and will look acward, i changed my BO Wave with a stainless Wave, yet its just taste, if you want to be more tactical
You can look at Victorinox, handyman, Cybertool etc, if you just want to go for numbers and flavours

Thanks, I wasn't too worried about 154CM vs. S30V.  I've had good look with 154CM in the old Griptilians, and S30V can be great or not so good depending on the maker.  I'm not familiar with the Free P series, but will check it out.

Once I get the Wave+ blades upgraded to 154CM and a hook blade on the serrated I'm less inclined to get a Charge Ti, although the tittanium is cool and it's a nice looking tool.

By the way, I was looking at those pocket clips, but there were some mixed reviews online on them breaking.  Also, I don't think it will fit in the sheath with the clip on? 

Thanks again for the input.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:19:18 PM by svashtar »

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 08:43:17 PM
6) Finally, on the Wave+ blade upgrades:  you need two driver bits to get the old blades off, correct?  I have a security bit set, but think there's only one bit and I figure I'll need two.
Buying the appropriate size Torx screwdriver would be a cheaper option than getting another bit kit just for that.

us Offline svashtar

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 08:56:34 PM
Buying the appropriate size Torx screwdriver would be a cheaper option than getting another bit kit just for that.

Thanks, you’re right, but my friend had an extra set of security Torx bits he got online for $6 he’s donating to me, so I’m good to go I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 10:59:16 PM
4) I really like the looks of the black oxide, and the MUT has that and I haven't had any problems with it, but I read several reviews of folks complaining about it scratching or rubbing off.  That's why I didn't get the black / chrome combo special edition Wave+ when I could have (kicking myself).  But now I'm thinking about getting that combo finish one with the Surge.  Any tricks to taking care of the black?  Maybe clean it with acetone first?  I don't think a quick wipe would hurt it.

I thought the special edition BO/stainless Wave was the previous model Wave, not the "+" version.  And about BO, the only thing it needs is a nice long rub down with an old cotton rag (for example, an old T-shirt).  When I get myself a BO tool I just go to the couch, sit my *ss down, put on something nice on TV and start rubbing my tool ...
(okay, that sounded way worse than I intended ...  :facepalm:)

Seriously, after the first rub down (make sure to get all the tools, and the inside of the handles as well), it may take another one a couple of days later, and sometimes even a third rub down, but after that, no more BO on your hands.

Some might say (and I'm one of them) that a BO tool only gets prettier and prettier when it's being used ... The first scratch might hurt, but after a while it turns into a work of art in my opinion.

us Offline svashtar

Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 11:29:38 PM

I thought the special edition BO/stainless Wave was the previous model Wave, not the "+" version.  And about BO, the only thing it needs is a nice long rub down with an old cotton rag (for example, an old T-shirt).  When I get myself a BO tool I just go to the couch, sit my *ss down, put on something nice on TV and start rubbing my tool ...

Seriously, after the first rub down (make sure to get all the tools, and the inside of the handles as well), it may take another one a couple of days later, and sometimes even a third rub down, but after that, no more BO on your hands.

Some might say (and I'm one of them) that a BO tool only gets prettier and prettier when it's being used ... The first scratch might hurt, but after a while it turns into a work of art in my opinion.

You may be right that the BO/Silver was only on the standard Wave.  I tried to find it again on Amazon but it looks like it’s gone.  There is a two-tone Surge though (Q: is there a Surge +?)

The BO on my MUT has held up pretty well, but I appreciate the advice on cleaning them up.  I do like the look of it.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 11:55:30 PM

You may be right that the BO/Silver was only on the standard Wave.  I tried to find it again on Amazon but it looks like it’s gone.  There is a two-tone Surge though (Q: is there a Surge +?)

The BO on my MUT has held up pretty well, but I appreciate the advice on cleaning them up.  I do like the look of it.

The Surge was already the "+" version since they changed from the old model to the current one, they just didn't give it the "+" name.  The "+",in the first place, stands for the replaceable cutters.  And that was one of the big updates from the old Surge to the current "new" one.  Along with changes on the scissors (no more small piece of plastic on it), and swapping the small bitdriver for an awl if I remember correct.  My wife gave me a special edition Surge as a Christmas gift (since I already owned the Stainless version and the BO version, all that was missing was the Stainless/BO version  :D).

And the MUT is a bit different when it comes to BO, if you have the version with the BO tools, the BO coating on the tools is the same as, for example, a BO Wave. But the "black" colour of the MUT handles is different (just like the Skeletool or Signal handles), this is not the same coating as they use for the other tools.  Maybe somebody else can tell us just what progress they use for those handles, but all I know is that the handles on my MUT/Signal/Skeletool never gave me black hands  ;).

us Offline svashtar

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 01:30:34 AM

The Surge was already the "+" version since they changed from the old model to the current one, they just didn't give it the "+" name.  The "+",in the first place, stands for the replaceable cutters.  And that was one of the big updates from the old Surge to the current "new" one.  Along with changes on the scissors (no more small piece of plastic on it), and swapping the small bitdriver for an awl if I remember correct.  My wife gave me a special edition Surge as a Christmas gift (since I already owned the Stainless version and the BO version, all that was missing was the Stainless/BO version  :D).

And the MUT is a bit different when it comes to BO, if you have the version with the BO tools, the BO coating on the tools is the same as, for example, a BO Wave. But the "black" colour of the MUT handles is different (just like the Skeletool or Signal handles), this is not the same coating as they use for the other tools.  Maybe somebody else can tell us just what progress they use for those handles, but all I know is that the handles on my MUT/Signal/Skeletool never gave me black hands  ;).

Thanks for the info on the Surge versions.

I wondered about that finish question, as my MUT never transferred any black either.  It’s almost as if it has a “smoother” BO finish, if that makes any sense.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 08:23:08 PM
The BO on my OHT doesn't seem like it wants to come off either.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 08:24:13 PM
:iagree:  :imws:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 08:26:32 PM
 :iagree:

Go for the BO Surge, you won't be disappointed   :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!