Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Early COMPACT?

MexSAK · 27 · 1083

mx Offline MexSAK

Early COMPACT?
on: March 11, 2019, 02:43:38 PM
Hello guys! I'm new to this forum and my knowledge both of English language and SAK's is limited so, please, be patient.

The question: I got a NOS w/o box vintage c1980's two layer Victorinox knife, identical to the COMPACT model BUT with a few differences, as follows:

-The tools at the top are all the same (minus the screw, unlike the rivet, to the scissors).
-The only tool present at the bottom is the (grooved) corkscrew.
-No key ring is present.
-No pen, pin or mini screwdriver comes with her.

May you, please, let me know what model is it?

Thank you in advance!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Early COMPACT?
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 05:08:26 PM
Welcome to the forum!

:cheers:

Any chance you could show us a pic of the SAK? From your description, it might be a 84mm Golfer, although those have a keyring...

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 05:09:00 PM

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 05:14:28 PM
The 91mm Golfer was the same size as the current Compact, but featured the same tool setup as the smaller 84mm variant.

It was an in between model.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 05:18:19 PM
Welcome to the forum  !    :cheers:

I'll move this to the SAK section  :tu:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 01:50:50 AM
Welcome to the forum!

:cheers:

Any chance you could show us a pic of the SAK? From your description, it might be a 84mm Golfer, although those have a keyring...

:think: :think:

With respect, I would've said the opposite -- that the 84 mm Golfers did not have the keyring.  At least the couple that I have don't have one.  Maybe they made it both ways. 

My guess is that this SAK is an early 91 mm Golfer if it's the same length as the Compact, and an 84 mm Golfer if it's shorter than the OP's Compact...   

Pics, we need pics. 

:)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 02:07:49 AM
Welcome to the forum. :hatsoff:  As others have said; it sounds like a 91mm Golfer to me.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 04:28:17 AM
Sounds like a Golfer to me. The '89 Holiday ad and the '91 Vic catalog say so for 91mm. '85 catalog says 84mm.  All no hook examples.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

mx Offline MexSAK

Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 02:03:23 PM
Thank you all guys. Very kind comments and lots of feedback here! I'm attaching a few pictures (not my pics) of an identical SAK, which results to be an 84mm and it does not come with that large file at the back that I saw in the SAKwiki section you shared with me.

BUT I'm not able to upload pictures. An ERROR message pops up and tells me that the file is too large, even if it's smaller than 500mb

I'll give another try later today

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 05:32:23 PM
You need to keep the actual physical size small enough too.

The 84mm size means you've got an 84mm Golfer.
The long nail file on the back is actualy a rare tool. Most 84mm Golfers don't have it.
The ones who do are even more desirable than the regular ones (which are quite sought after too)

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 09:30:40 PM
Welcome aboard!!
Barry

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 09:33:40 PM
If there is no hook, then it is a 91mm golfer
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 09:54:06 PM
 :iagree:

----

On the subject of Golfers and SAKWiki, why are the '60s and earlier versions usually ignored or silent on the matter?

I have one of these Golfers (damaged horn scales) and collectors always have a tendency to say 'Fieldmaster' and 'Artisan'.  I don't get it when the catalog listing is clear.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 10:36:34 PM
Hello guys! I'm new to this forum and my knowledge both of English language and SAK's is limited so, please, be patient.

Welcome to the forum MexSAK!  :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 10:41:47 PM
Thank you all guys. Very kind comments and lots of feedback here! I'm attaching a few pictures (not my pics) of an identical SAK, which results to be an 84mm and it does not come with that large file at the back that I saw in the SAKwiki section you shared with me.

BUT I'm not able to upload pictures. An ERROR message pops up and tells me that the file is too large, even if it's smaller than 500mb

I'll give another try later today

Cool.  Some would say the 84mm Golfer is even better as that size with scissors haven't been in production for a long time now so are less and less common to find.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 03:47:14 AM
Hi Kamakiri... Can’t blame the collectors for calling it an artisan/fieldmaster. Because it has the same exact toolset... I believe that pic is an excerpt from the 70’s US Catalog. It may have been called by SAB as such but for the rest of the world its known as the artisan/fieldmaster... It would be interesting to note that at one time,SAB also marketed the BSA Explorer as the BSA Yeoman...

On older catalogs, Woodsman and Craftsman names were used to call the same fieldmaster model...

On the 35 page 70’s US catalog, there’s a Golfer entry showing 2 layer model... The same exact model collectors are familiar with.

Hope this helps...

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 09:28:29 AM
:iagree:

----

On the subject of Golfers and SAKWiki, why are the '60s and earlier versions usually ignored or silent on the matter?

I have one of these Golfers (damaged horn scales) and collectors always have a tendency to say 'Fieldmaster' and 'Artisan'.  I don't get it when the catalog listing is clear.

Regardless of its handle, I want one  :drool:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 03:08:21 PM
Hi Kamakiri... Can’t blame the collectors for calling it an artisan/fieldmaster. Because it has the same exact toolset... I believe that pic is an excerpt from the 70’s US Catalog. It may have been called by SAB as such but for the rest of the world its known as the artisan/fieldmaster... It would be interesting to note that at one time,SAB also marketed the BSA Explorer as the BSA Yeoman...
Thanks for the reply jaya_man.  :salute:  I've read what I could find on the history, but I've been studying the subject in isolation - lurking outside the community. I've only seen the SMICO catalog use the ARTISAN 1 & 2 names and haven't found any early references to the Fieldmaster name anywhere. Is there somewhere you could point me to or upload that explains otherwise?

I did crop the Golfer info from the " '70's " (26 model) US catalog.  I'm also pretty sure it's *not* from the '70s. A '69+ Champion doesn't have a shackle.  And I have several examples of keyring LNF Champions. With all the angled saws visible my guess is the catalog is from the c. 64-65 range and not likely much past '66 - assuming it could be using dated graphics/pics.

On older catalogs, Woodsman and Craftsman names were used to call the same fieldmaster model...

That's one of the issues I don't understand...how it (a 136ka) was ever a Fieldmaster/Artisan *before* it was a Craftsman. The Craftsman name is in use in catalogs and brochures from the '50s and definitely by '54 and directly links the 136ka.  I only suspect even earlier based on the post-WWII copies available and the fuzzy history.

On the 35 page 70’s US catalog, there’s a Golfer entry showing 2 layer model... The same exact model collectors are familiar with.

Hope this helps...
Understood, and agreed.  I only referenced the later catalogs that reference the transition of this Golfer style from 84mm to 91mm for brevity. It also does make me question wether the LNF version was ever officially a Golfer or something else entirely. 

Regardless of its handle, I want one  :drool:
I love mine, but not looking forward to tackling the repair on it. A/A- metal parts and D- chipped to smurf scales and no T&T.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 04:00:09 PM
If you're getting new T&T for it, make sure the Tweezers are alu tipped if you want to keep it period correct.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 04:56:30 PM
If you're getting new T&T for it, make sure the Tweezers are alu tipped if you want to keep it period correct.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice!  Is the box marked Golfer?

I'm pretty sure mine is old enough to have the nickel silver tipped ones.  I have a Champion horn scale that's similar era with NS tipped tweezers that came from the original owner. Both have angled teeth on the wood saws and exposed rivets.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 04:58:08 PM
Nice!  Is the box marked Golfer?

I'm pretty sure mine is old enough to have the nickel silver tipped ones.  I have a Champion horn scale that's similar era with NS tipped tweezers that came from the original owner. Both have angled teeth on the wood saws and exposed rivets.

It's got a "horn" marked pricetag, yes.
Need to check if there's a name.
I don't think there was one on it though.

I do think it was repackaged though.
Good thing is that this happened at a Vic flagship store.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 05:11:11 PM
It's got a "horn" marked pricetag, yes.
Need to check if there's a name.
I don't think there was one on it though.

I do think it was repackaged though.
Good thing is that this happened at a Vic flagship store.

I was just wondering.  Would be nice if it had a label like Golfer w/ Nail File or something like that.  Like the Onyx Compacts that say ' ONYX COMPACT - NO PEN'

-----

Pics of mine...
Golfer:

Nickel silver tip:

Champion:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 05:17:35 PM
Pics no show! :ahhh

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 05:18:54 PM
"Swiss Army Knife Genuine Horn"

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 05:39:58 PM
Pics no show! :ahhh
lol. Did the same for me, but seems to be working now.  :)

"Swiss Army Knife Genuine Horn"(Image removed from quote.)

That's not too surprising. I've suspected the LNF versions aren't actually Golfers.  Would be nice to see more box labels.

The number is also different than the ones listed on SAKWiki. Looks like it reads: 0.3600.61 and 0.3422.61 is in the Wiki.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 05:46:18 PM
With the fact that the box is rather new, I wouldn't be surprised if they just printed a "genuine horn" label with just about any serial no. on it :D

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 05:50:46 PM
Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me either.  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%