Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Saks gone fishing

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Saks gone fishing
Reply #60 on: January 09, 2019, 10:55:28 PM
Oh yeah! That works... :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 11:12:48 PM
Went out today...didn’t catch anything but was still a great day!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:15:28 PM by Rapidray »

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 11:14:37 PM
 :like: any day regardless of outcome is a great day

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 11:16:33 PM
:like: any day regardless of outcome is a great day
Oh I agree  :tu: :cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: January 10, 2019, 11:18:51 PM
 :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: January 12, 2019, 04:05:24 AM
Tough day fishing today, but in a nice spot.

I was using a new line (Nanofill) and it caused me all sorts of headaches. I'll be replacing this line immediately.

What I won't be changing out too quickly is the Swiss Champ. The Champ did outstanding work changing out lures and cutting tangled line; the pliers came in handy to loosen a tricky swivel-snap. Great job all-around. The Champ rode comfortably in my pocket. The clip and lanyard allowed my to retrieve the Champ easily, even though I was wearing gloves.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: January 12, 2019, 04:24:52 AM
Tough day fishing today, but in a nice spot.

(Image removed from quote.)

I was using a new line (Nanofill) and it caused me all sorts of headaches. I'll be replacing this line immediately.

What I won't be changing out too quickly is the Swiss Champ. The Champ did outstanding work changing out lures and cutting tangled line; the pliers came in handy to loosen a tricky swivel-snap. Great job all-around. The Champ rode comfortably in my pocket. The clip and lanyard allowed my to retrieve the Champ easily, even though I was wearing gloves.

Do you think it is the reel...seems odd you are having trouble with brand new line...on another note...that is some beautiful country you live in!  :cheers: :hatsoff:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #67 on: January 12, 2019, 05:07:12 AM
I think the reel is fine..... At least it seems so.

No, the Nanofill line is really thin....which should be nice. It's strong for size....in theory. But I found that it did not take much to shear it.

It cast well, but a few times it developed a "bird's nest" with what seemed to be a fine cast. I think it just ran off the spool too quickly. And it had some memory issues, holding a coiled shaped after being cast. I think that contributed to the tangling issue. 

At one point--no idea how this happened--the line got stuck under the line-keeper on the side of the reel. When I made a cast, the keeper just cut the line!  Lure and line went sailing off into the distance........ :facepalm:

I've never had that happen with regular monofilament.

It may be the case that this line isn't well suited for this reel. I don't know. But I do know I'm getting rid of it tomorrow. Probably go with a braided line.

Days like today make one appreciate fly fishing and its simplicity.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:09:04 AM by Nix »

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: January 12, 2019, 03:44:44 PM
Beautiful Nix, I was thinking of trying Nanofil, but will probably use your experience as a money saver, I like braids but I always go back to mono.
I am curious though how the Vic scissors will handle braid, I don't have any here to try

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: January 12, 2019, 04:07:14 PM
I think the reel is fine..... At least it seems so.

No, the Nanofill line is really thin....which should be nice. It's strong for size....in theory. But I found that it did not take much to shear it.

It cast well, but a few times it developed a "bird's nest" with what seemed to be a fine cast. I think it just ran off the spool too quickly. And it had some memory issues, holding a coiled shaped after being cast. I think that contributed to the tangling issue. 

At one point--no idea how this happened--the line got stuck under the line-keeper on the side of the reel. When I made a cast, the keeper just cut the line!  Lure and line went sailing off into the distance........ :facepalm:

I've never had that happen with regular monofilament.

It may be the case that this line isn't well suited for this reel. I don't know. But I do know I'm getting rid of it tomorrow. Probably go with a braided line.

Days like today make one appreciate fly fishing and its simplicity.  :cheers:
:sa:
that must of been kinda funny seeing the lure and line keep on going! And like you, I have never seen that before.  :dwts:
 :iagree: 110% on the fly fishing simplicity.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: January 12, 2019, 04:08:06 PM
Beautiful Nix, I was thinking of trying Nanofil, but will probably use your experience as a money saver, I like braids but I always go back to mono.
I am curious though how the Vic scissors will handle braid, I don't have any here to try
:popcorn:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #71 on: January 12, 2019, 04:38:33 PM

Same, here. I like to try new things, but have to chalk this one up as a fail. I'm genuinely surprised. Maybe it was just me--I have more experience with fly fishing. 'Though....I'm not a very good caster. Not for distance anyway.

This bit of water was pretty deep and fast. Hard to tell from the photo, but the river (Missouri) here is probably.....mmmmm....60-70 yards across. The trout at this time of year tend to be out in the deeper stuff.  So one needs to get our 20-30 yards. I can't come close to that with a standard fly rod. So.....spinning outfit. 

Ray asked about top water feeding, but here the trout are deep. (Some Walleye and Ling cod (I've heard) up closer to the dam.) There were a few midges hatching near the banks, but the trout were staying well down.

I've fished this spot with a fly rod from a boat in summer, but even then I always do better with big heavy flies that sink well. The bottom, especially up near the dam, is very rocky, providing good holding spots for some big fish. Real predators.  So streamers often work well.  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: January 12, 2019, 06:00:29 PM

Same, here. I like to try new things, but have to chalk this one up as a fail. I'm genuinely surprised. Maybe it was just me--I have more experience with fly fishing. 'Though....I'm not a very good caster. Not for distance anyway.

This bit of water was pretty deep and fast. Hard to tell from the photo, but the river (Missouri) here is probably.....mmmmm....60-70 yards across. The trout at this time of year tend to be out in the deeper stuff.  So one needs to get our 20-30 yards. I can't come close to that with a standard fly rod. So.....spinning outfit. 

Ray asked about top water feeding, but here the trout are deep. (Some Walleye and Ling cod (I've heard) up closer to the dam.) There were a few midges hatching near the banks, but the trout were staying well down.

I've fished this spot with a fly rod from a boat in summer, but even then I always do better with big heavy flies that sink well. The bottom, especially up near the dam, is very rocky, providing good holding spots for some big fish. Real predators.  So streamers often work well.  :tu:
You have a dam near by...have you tried there? I have heard they like the water there as it is a little warmer...at least thats what I have heard.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: January 12, 2019, 06:06:13 PM
We have a couple of dams nearby. And below the dams the water is usually open and a bit warmer. Always good spots to fish. But.....sometimes more crowded.

We were down stream from the dam and the water looked pretty good. And I have caught fish there before........

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: January 12, 2019, 09:34:33 PM
Fresh spool of mono....

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: January 13, 2019, 01:48:14 AM
 :like: do you always fill the spool that much? I used to but don't anymore, I was getting lots of tangles, and was told to keep it 1/4 inch from the rim, no more tangles  :dunno:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:49:20 AM by Greg Jones »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: January 13, 2019, 02:03:12 AM
We have a couple of dams nearby. And below the dams the water is usually open and a bit warmer. Always good spots to fish. But.....sometimes more crowded.

We were down stream from the dam and the water looked pretty good. And I have caught fish there before........
:tu: :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: January 13, 2019, 02:04:15 AM
Fresh spool of mono....

Looks great! Hopefully a test report tomorrow!   :like: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: January 13, 2019, 03:02:54 AM
:like: do you always fill the spool that much? I used to but don't anymore, I was getting lots of tangles, and was told to keep it 1/4 inch from the rim, no more tangles  :dunno:

It's not as full as it looks. The line is spooled up to within....3/16" of the rim. Actually, I think that gold-colored rim is an indicator for a "max" fill point. At least that's the way I use it..... :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #79 on: January 13, 2019, 03:03:42 AM
Fresh spool of mono....

Probably next week. Fingers crossed.  :tu:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: January 13, 2019, 02:21:45 PM

It's not as full as it looks. The line is spooled up to within....3/16" of the rim. Actually, I think that gold-colored rim is an indicator for a "max" fill point. At least that's the way I use it..... :rofl:

:like:  I hope I didn't come across as a know it all Nix, I had second thoughts after I posted and read it

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: January 13, 2019, 03:31:14 PM
Fresh spool of mono....

Probably next week. Fingers crossed.  :tu:
We can wait!  :tu: :popcorn:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: January 13, 2019, 03:39:47 PM
:like:  I hope I didn't come across as a know it all Nix, I had second thoughts after I posted and read it

Not at all, buddy.  :D  :cheers:

Good eye and sound advice! And I need all the help I can get.....  :rofl:

Your point was an excellent one, though. When putting line on a spool, "less is more". Within reason.

Too much line and one will end up with more tangles. Too little and that lip on the spool will put some drag on the line, slowing the cast and shortening the possible distance. That's my understanding, anyway.

My experience is the same as yours: an over-full spool has caused me tangling issues in the past.  I think this one is set up pretty well, but if I start having tangling issues, I'll strip some line off, to be sure.  :tu:

I'm eager to get out and test it. First, however, I'll hook my line tip to the truck and then walk down the street, pulling out 50 yards of line to give it a stretch--hopefully getting some of the coil memory out of the line. Then I'll reel myself in with a bit of tension. This should seat the line better and, hopefully, decrease possible tangling a bit more.   :dunno:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: January 13, 2019, 03:51:32 PM
 :cheers: I've done the 50 yard walk many times  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: January 13, 2019, 03:53:22 PM
I think it helps....  :dunno:

I have to wonder how many things we do because of superstition, and how many little tricks we use because they really work.  :think:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: January 13, 2019, 03:54:12 PM
I was just wondering...which can be very dangerous...is fishing line temperature sensitive??? It is colder temperatures?? Just wondering  :dunno:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: January 13, 2019, 04:03:17 PM
So I found this and I think you should try out that new line in summer time...and see how it acts then...

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: January 13, 2019, 04:05:33 PM
I was just wondering...which can be very dangerous...is fishing line temperature sensitive??? It is colder temperatures?? Just wondering  :dunno:

My experience ice fishing is yes, Berkeley makes a mono specifically for this, and I find it stays more supple, that or I'm a marketing sucker  :dunno:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: January 13, 2019, 04:06:49 PM
So I found this and I think you should try out that new line in summer time...and see how it acts then...

:hatsoff:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: January 13, 2019, 04:14:12 PM
 :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30