Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Winchester Regret

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Winchester Regret
on: March 06, 2019, 06:43:51 AM
So, I don't exactly remember when, but I bought these sets. This really shows how naive I used to be with regards to knives and MTs back then. I also thought the Gerber Pinchy was the best MT ever made then too. :rofl:

I had forgotten about these until I was cleaning out a cabinet this evening. I just can't make myself part with them. Even knowing that they are the lowest common denominator of knives, but what the smurf. Memories, right? :dunno: :D

Who else has ever been in that place where you thought just a "brand" name meant something decent?

The cabinet booty.
The wooden box set isn't "too bad". But, the fit & finish is pretty awful, and they are the good set.  :-\ :rofl:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Re: Winchester Regret
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:28:33 AM
are they all dull?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 08:30:56 AM
Good question. You know, I didn't think to check them. I'll do some paper tests tomorrow. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:37:33 AM
I usually put lame blades to work as beaters so I can kill them  :rofl:
I got a Kabar folder from ebay years ago, (I had no knowledge about good stuff, and thought it was cool) pick up years later..., what a piece of junk, horrible blade play, I took it apart a few months ago and find one washer horribly deformed, I put it back together and left in cold basement for opening salt bags

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 08:40:33 AM
I also got suckered into one of those late night knife infomercials like 12 years ago, Frost cutlery junk, I think all 15 of them are broken and waiting to be made into spears for the apocalypse

I did make a spear with one blade and a broken hockey stick, but it also broke, another blade serves as a calcium scraper for toilet, so they do have some value(very little,but some)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:46:57 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 09:09:11 AM
So, I don't exactly remember when, but I bought these sets. This really shows how naive I used to be with regards to knives and MTs back then. I also thought the Gerber Pinchy was the best MT ever made then too. :rofl:

I had forgotten about these until I was cleaning out a cabinet this evening. I just can't make myself part with them. Even knowing that they are the lowest common denominator of knives, but what the smurf. Memories, right? :dunno: :D

Who else has ever been in that place where you thought just a "brand" name meant something decent?

The cabinet booty.
The wooden box set isn't "too bad". But, the fit & finish is pretty awful, and they are the good set.  :-\ :rofl:
(Image removed from quote.)

I actually have the "tactical" version of your wooden box set :rofl:
I bought it in my younger days when I wasn't as edgeucated as today :facepalm:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 03:02:41 PM
I usually put lame blades to work as beaters so I can kill them  :rofl:
I got a Kabar folder from ebay years ago, (I had no knowledge about good stuff, and thought it was cool) pick up years later..., what a piece of junk, horrible blade play, I took it apart a few months ago and find one washer horribly deformed, I put it back together and left in cold basement for opening salt bags
I also got suckered into one of those late night knife infomercials like 12 years ago, Frost cutlery junk, I think all 15 of them are broken and waiting to be made into spears for the apocalypse

I did make a spear with one blade and a broken hockey stick, but it also broke, another blade serves as a calcium scraper for toilet, so they do have some value(very little,but some)
Excellent uses and thoughts, Beard! :cheers:

Love the scraper idea and using them as chemical work tools(salt bags).

I think the cheaper Winchester set is closer to Frost Co. The wood box set at least have good spring action and little blade play. I do have some Frost stuff that is dreadful. Hopefully will find it soon and have some fun.

I may regrind the scales and polish them to see how it works.  :ahhh

I actually have the "tactical" version of your wooden box set :rofl:
I bought it in my younger days when I wasn't as edgeucated as today :facepalm:

I just love how putting tactical on the packaging suddenly makes the knives high-quality. :rofl:
Part of me misses the days where junk blades made me happy. But, alas, the tide is set. They'll be fun knives to stash and what-not  :)

se Offline RF52

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 03:15:35 PM
Excellent uses and thoughts, Beard! :cheers:

Love the scraper idea and using them as chemical work tools(salt bags).

I think the cheaper Winchester set is closer to Frost Co. The wood box set at least have good spring action and little blade play. I do have some Frost stuff that is dreadful. Hopefully will find it soon and have some fun.

I may regrind the scales and polish them to see how it works.  :ahhh

I just love how putting tactical on the packaging suddenly makes the knives high-quality. :rofl:
Part of me misses the days where junk blades made me happy. But, alas, the tide is set. They'll be fun knives to stash and what-not  :)
They would probably work for a beater knife where you don't need a sharp edge, like a scraper like mentioned above :rofl:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 04:00:02 PM
I went down that same path Gman.  The metallurgy on their tools and knives is horrible.  I grew up shooting Winchester and it's almost criminal to put the name on those products.
Barry

us Offline David

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 01:35:50 AM
I went down that same path Gman.  The metallurgy on their tools and knives is horrible.  I grew up shooting Winchester and it's almost criminal to put the name on those products.

Amen brother Barry!      :iagree:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 02:31:08 AM
:iagree:
Indeed. It is very sad. At least Remington is selective(as far as I know - ex: Bear & Sons made them for a long time) of the companies that produce their licensed knives. Browning knives are acceptable quality(for what they are and low price) as well.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 02:51:48 AM
They would probably work for a beater knife where you don't need a sharp edge, like a scraper like mentioned above :rofl:

Thanks, RF! :cheers:

So, I did a paper cut tests. And the blades on the traditional and backlock are respectably sharp. The fixed blade is really dull though.

3-blade traditional. each of the blades is labeled on the paper above the cuts. Pass on all three blade edges.

2 cuts with the lockback. Pass on the blade edge.

Fixed blade is a fail. Jagged and rough with really bad catching from burrs.

I am certain the edges wouldn't hold up with real use, but I'll keep them out on the desks(around the house) for miscellaneous tasks, since they are really nice looking from a few feet away. :P

se Offline RF52

Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 01:30:44 PM
Thanks, RF! :cheers:

So, I did a paper cut tests. And the blades on the traditional and backlock are respectably sharp. The fixed blade is really dull though.

3-blade traditional. each of the blades is labeled on the paper above the cuts. Pass on all three blade edges.

2 cuts with the lockback. Pass on the blade edge.

Fixed blade is a fail. Jagged and rough with really bad catching from burrs.

I am certain the edges wouldn't hold up with real use, but I'll keep them out on the desks(around the house) for miscellaneous tasks, since they are really nice looking from a few feet away.
Keep us updated if you put them through some use :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 02:08:53 PM
There was a time when I thought a "brand" name on something meant it was a quality item.  Its quite unfortunate that Winchester would have their name associated with anything not up to snuff.  It cannot be they make boat loads of money off stuff like this, or do they?
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 03:01:23 PM
I agree!  Remington folders sure are a different animal though! 
Barry

us Offline cody6268

Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 03:09:32 PM
I remember trying to hide my disappointment when I got them every year for Christmas. I prefer a quality knife, even if it's either an entry-level model (like the Zytel-scaled Case lockbacks) or a well-used old knife.   Almost all of my Winchesters have been complete and utter garbage. Bad edges, and such soft steel they will not take an edge, no matter how hard you try.  Of the 2008 dated set I have, I only use a sheath (being as it was the only thing that would fit an older Edge Brand 460 fixed blade knife).  I recently bought some from Tractor Supply (Heel Spur and Stagecoach) that were on sale for $10, better than those earlier models, but still not what they could be.   The worst of the worst are those containing a mix of small knives, keychain knives, and SAK-clones.

Remington has now given the rights to produce knives to Buck--with the exception of the Bullets (which are made in-house at the Buck factory in Idaho), every single one is made in China now. I'm curious as to what those might be.   Remington and Winchester used to make the knives themselves, and were considered the best of the best. Winchester even made knives marked for other companies, especially hardware stores.

I guess I can consider Browning to be similar to Remington and Winchester. In the 1970s, their line of folders was considered to be the best. Now it ranges from utter garbage to some nice stuff.  I have a friend that has one of the originals, and he swears by it. I bought a tiny USA-made Small Sportsman someone bent the blade on, and the steel was so hard, it snapped.  Beretta also has some really cool knives as well, many of which are made in Italy and Japan.     Colt's knives used to be made in the same factory as Rough Rider--and after Colt stopped making knives, many of those patterns began to be re-seen as RR.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 01:41:12 AM
Keep us updated if you put them through some use :cheers:

Will do, RF! :cheers:

There was a time when I thought a "brand" name on something meant it was a quality item.  Its quite unfortunate that Winchester would have their name associated with anything not up to snuff.  It cannot be they make boat loads of money off stuff like this, or do they?
I guess a lot of people get caught in the brand. :facepalm:

I agree!  Remington folders sure are a different animal though! 
Indeed! I have yet to see a crappy Remington. The Bear made ones aren't outstanding collector's pieces, but they are great user knives.  :)

I remember trying to hide my disappointment when I got them every year for Christmas. I prefer a quality knife, even if it's either an entry-level model (like the Zytel-scaled Case lockbacks) or a well-used old knife.   Almost all of my Winchesters have been complete and utter garbage. Bad edges, and such soft steel they will not take an edge, no matter how hard you try.  Of the 2008 dated set I have, I only use a sheath (being as it was the only thing that would fit an older Edge Brand 460 fixed blade knife).  I recently bought some from Tractor Supply (Heel Spur and Stagecoach) that were on sale for $10, better than those earlier models, but still not what they could be.   The worst of the worst are those containing a mix of small knives, keychain knives, and SAK-clones.

Remington has now given the rights to produce knives to Buck--with the exception of the Bullets (which are made in-house at the Buck factory in Idaho), every single one is made in China now. I'm curious as to what those might be.   Remington and Winchester used to make the knives themselves, and were considered the best of the best. Winchester even made knives marked for other companies, especially hardware stores.

I guess I can consider Browning to be similar to Remington and Winchester. In the 1970s, their line of folders was considered to be the best. Now it ranges from utter garbage to some nice stuff.  I have a friend that has one of the originals, and he swears by it. I bought a tiny USA-made Small Sportsman someone bent the blade on, and the steel was so hard, it snapped.  Beretta also has some really cool knives as well, many of which are made in Italy and Japan.     Colt's knives used to be made in the same factory as Rough Rider--and after Colt stopped making knives, many of those patterns began to be re-seen as RR.
Lets hope Buck does a good job. :ahhh

And now you mention it, I gave the Winchester sets to friends and my father back then. Guess I am guilty of the thing I loathe about knife/MT related gifts I get. I tell everyone to give me the $10 they'd spend on the junk, so I can put it towards some good tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%