Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lets talk iconic knives.

Aloha · 206 · 6805

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Lets talk iconic knives.
on: January 07, 2019, 07:01:50 PM
I am no historian nor as knowledgable as others.  I can recognize certain patterns and makers as well as the next.  I have borrowed the guidelines from knife depot however lets let the conversation flow freely and not be so stringent.  Article https://knife-depot.com/pages/20-iconic-knives-every-knife-enthusiast-should-own

Guidlines the knife should be the following:

A production knife. We've decided to confine this list only to factory-made knives. So even though a custom knife like the Bob Loveless Drop Point Hunter is a revolutionary knife, we are only focusing on production knives to prevent this list from being too bloated.

Still in production. Sure, the Spyderco Worker was the first knife to introduce the pocket clip and really set the standard for early tactical folders, but it's no longer available. We want this to be a list of knives that are still around.

Easily recognizable to most knife users. One of the official definitions of iconic is something that's widely recognized and well-established. A knife will not always be known by everyone, but if it is famous outside or inside the knife community, it counts.

Game-changing. Whether by introducing a new feature to the knife world or simply popularizing a certain style of knives, the knife must have been transformative by adding something new and unique.

Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Lets talk iconic knives.
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:14:02 PM
:popcorn:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 07:30:43 PM
What I find interesting is the knives on most lists are ones that I am referring to as "honest" knives. 

I'll begin with the Opinel.  Seems it doesnt matter what side of the pond you are on.  This is an iconic knife.  Simple, straightforward, and honest.  Its does what its designed to do.   
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:06:14 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 07:46:10 PM
I own 3.5 knives from that list :D

CRTK Homefront
I think this is a game changer. The design by Ken Onion is brilliant. While it is not the first knife that offers easy disassembly, it makes field stripping easily available. Especially because the design is open to other designer for CRTK.

Because I don't own a Homefront but a HVAS, I put up those pictures.
hvas_02.jpg
* hvas_02.jpg (Filesize: 105.37 KB)
hvas_01.jpg
* hvas_01.jpg (Filesize: 152.92 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

se Offline RF52

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 07:47:52 PM
The Buck 110 must be on the list! I don't own one, but maybe someday.

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

de Offline Shuya

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:53:17 PM
For me, simple and proven designs are the most interesting.

Kephart Style Knifes.
I got one from BRKT. Straightforward, simple, usable tool. Another from LT Wright is on the way to me. While owing lots (and I mean LOTS) of knifes, this design was a bummer when I touched it the first time. You instantly know, these knifes were not designed by someone sitting on a desk. These knifes were made and tested and improved by a dude LIVING in the woods. Thin blades, no bullsmurf blade, awesome and yet simple handle.
Just wow.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 08:25:07 PM
I think this may turn out to be a bit regional, what's iconic on one side of the pond may not be iconic on the other.

Knife-depot named the Vic. Classic, I don't know anyone who has a Classic. The Pioneer would have been my pick aka boy scout knife.
I had never heard of Opinel before visiting online forums and don't know of any one who has one. The same with Mora.
Knife-depot named the Leatherman Wave, that's a multi tool not a knife. Can't put that on the list.

Two that come to mind for me would be the Buck 110. That knife had a lot of influence on future knife designs.
The other would be the Barlow. It's a design that originated on the other side of the pond. Yet has been in continual production on one or both sides of the pond since the late 1600's.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 08:49:53 PM
I think this may turn out to be a bit regional, what's iconic on one side of the pond may not be iconic on the other.

Knife-depot named the Vic. Classic, I don't know anyone who has a Classic. The Pioneer would have been my pick aka boy scout knife.
I had never heard of Opinel before visiting online forums and don't know of any one who has one. The same with Mora.
Knife-depot named the Leatherman Wave, that's a multi tool not a knife. Can't put that on the list.

Two that come to mind for me would be the Buck 110. That knife had a lot of influence on future knife designs.
The other would be the Barlow. It's a design that originated on the other side of the pond. Yet has been in continual production on one or both sides of the pond since the late 1600's.

:iagree: :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 09:12:32 PM
Ask a bunch of knife guys and yes we'll get some many thoughts, which is exactly what I was hoping for.  I only used the knife depot as a guideline.  Most important was I have borrowed the guidelines from knife depot however lets let the conversation flow freely and not be so stringent.:salute:

Knife people can and do recognize knives outside their interest I believe.   With enough time I'd imagine most knife people come across many iconic knives from all over the world either by internet or in person.  Having one is not prerequisite to knowing it.  I dont have a Kabar USMC knife but I sure do know what one looks like when I see one.  Iconic btw IMO.

I too was unaware of the Opinel before the forums.  I was also unaware of Mora.  I know own a Mora Classic #1 and Opinel #8, both iconic blades. 

My thought on this thread was to see what each who contributed viewed as an iconic knife.  Oceans separate us but knives, knives bring us together. 

Lastly, the list on knife depot is not one I particularly agree on either  :tu: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 09:17:13 PM
I dont own a Barlow yet I am now very familiar with it.  I see many at the local flea markets from a wide variety of makers.  Interesting design.  I think its certainly stuck in my head every time I see one now.  I can call it by name being familiar with it.  Prior to the forums I would have thought this particular pattern was just some random pattern, nothing special per se.   

The Buck 110 is very iconic.  I think simply calling it a Buck Knife, one see the iconic 110 in their minds.   
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 09:27:57 PM

:iagree: :cheers:
Well, its a globe thing... Opinel/Mora (and Hultafors, you will find Mora/Hultafor knives on every construction site, at least here in Switzerland) are far more known in Europe than the Buck 110. Classic is the most sold SAK. The Pioneer is a MT too, so essentially, the Wave is just a multi-bladed knife.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 09:32:45 PM
I would say a few for me would be .

The Buck 112/110

The classic Hunting knife made by many companies. This one is my William Rodgers that I'got when I was but a lad.

I would also include the Barlow

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 10:28:28 PM
Like Opinel knives...

Mora Classic & Companion, Vic Spartan, Laguiolle, Ka-Bar USMC... and many others...

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 10:42:18 PM
Ask a bunch of knife guys and yes we'll get some many thoughts, which is exactly what I was hoping for.  I only used the knife depot as a guideline.  Most important was I have borrowed the guidelines from knife depot however lets let the conversation flow freely and not be so stringent.:salute:

Knife people can and do recognize knives outside their interest I believe.   With enough time I'd imagine most knife people come across many iconic knives from all over the world either by internet or in person.  Having one is not prerequisite to knowing it.  I dont have a Kabar USMC knife but I sure do know what one looks like when I see one.  Iconic btw IMO.

I too was unaware of the Opinel before the forums.  I was also unaware of Mora.  I know own a Mora Classic #1 and Opinel #8, both iconic blades. 

My thought on this thread was to see what each who contributed viewed as an iconic knife.  Oceans separate us but knives, knives bring us together. 

I agree just because I was not aware of Opinels, they are still a classic design.
Region will have a bearing on what people call iconic. This will be interesting.
Another knife that has been around for a long time is the Sod Buster. A redesign of a German folding butcher knife.  The German knife predates the name sod buster Case gave to it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 11:21:43 PM
@ Steve.  That second knife, the fixed blade.  Man I see that particular pattern a lot.  Is there a "name" for it?  Case made them too I think  :think:.  I've also seen some random makers who make a very similar one.  Love the knife BTW.  I'd say when others began to mass produce copies/clones/similar inspired designs the original becomes a icon/classic, at least thats my way of thinking.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 11:22:29 PM

I agree just because I was not aware of Opinels, they are still a classic design.
Region will have a bearing on what people call iconic. This will be interesting.
Another knife that has been around for a long time is the Sod Buster. A redesign of a German folding butcher knife.  The German knife predates the name sod buster Case gave to it.

:like:  Sod Buster for sure.   Man what a knife.  Again, simple and honest. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 11:25:48 PM
Like Opinel knives...

Mora Classic & Companion, Vic Spartan, Laguiolle, Ka-Bar USMC... and many others...

Pattern correct?  I cannot recall if this is a brand or pattern or if I am even communicating correctly.  Spartan is interesting.  I was totally unaware of the historical nature of this knife.  I only just recently found out.  This thread hopefully will bring light to many knives that we believe are iconic.  Theres certainly no keeping score in this thread.  Just free flowing knife love.  Kinda like the 60s without the STDs  :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 11:46:00 PM
 :popcorn:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 12:54:28 AM
20 is clearly not enough for such a list.
From the top of my head I would add a few extra folding knives:
-Italian Stiletto
-Italian resolza Pattadesse
-French Laguiole
-French Douk Douk
-Spanish navaja carraca
-Filipino Balisong
-Japanese Higonokami
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 01:06:55 AM

:like:  Sod Buster for sure.   Man what a knife.  Again, simple and honest.

If I'm going to mention the sod buster, I should at least post a pic.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 01:17:40 AM
@ Steve.  That second knife, the fixed blade.  Man I see that particular pattern a lot.  Is there a "name" for it?  Case made them too I think  :think:.  I've also seen some random makers who make a very similar one.  Love the knife BTW.  I'd say when others began to mass produce copies/clones/similar inspired designs the original becomes a icon/classic, at least thats my way of thinking.   

I've always heard it called a hunting knife , not sure if there is a specific name for this pattern but many companies have made them.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 01:22:09 AM
In a time that pioneers head into the unknown landscape to build their lives, in a time that people rely on their knives to do all kinds tasks fifty times a day, in a time that people could not afford expensive cutlery but wanted something can last a life time, in a time that pocket knives were considered tools, not pocket jewelry, in a time people always kept a knife in pocket wherever they go and feel naked without it.

Yea, you remember or at least you read about that.

It was 1867 and Mercator was a product of that time.       
That is right, 100 years before the birth of Buck 110.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:36:21 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 01:39:22 AM
I would say a few for me would be .

The Buck 112/110

The classic Hunting knife made by many companies. This one is my William Rodgers that I'got when I was but a lad.

I would also include the Barlow

Nice pics Steve! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 01:44:20 AM
I think a Puukko would need to be on the list.

But.....it's kinda tough to point a modern production knife and say "This is a game changer."

The puukko, seax, clasp knife, Bowie....all were game changers in their day.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:59:35 AM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 01:52:21 AM
The Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife is certainly 'Iconic' by any reasonable definition.  And it's still being produced.

But....game-changer? I think not.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 01:56:27 AM
What about a Stockman?

I consider the stockman to be one of the two greatest American pocket knife patterns. --Chuck Hawks

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 02:23:27 AM
Nix, I agree those are both iconic knives.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 06:43:35 AM
Lots of great knives mentioned.  Keep them coming.  Whats fun is what we feel is iconic, debating aside.  No need to limit the choices to 20 just cause knife depot did.  There are so many wonderful knives even if we had to stop at 20 why would we?

Like I mentioned, lets be free flowing with the guidelines.  They aren't to be taken word for word IMO just loose parameters. 

When I got onto the forums many of the knives mentioned weren't known to me.  Now many are which is great.  I have always found the Navaja interesting.  The knife seems to have inspired others.  Neat history on this iconic knife.  Whats also neat is the humble beginnings and later development.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 06:46:58 AM
The Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife is certainly 'Iconic' by any reasonable definition.  And it's still being produced.

(Image removed from quote.)

:salute: Without question.  I think another guideline could have been a knife copied or used as a template.  This knife certainly fits both descriptions. 
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 07:51:34 AM

(Image removed from quote.)
It is basically an updated version of the medieval dagger, which in itself is a pretty iconic family. For me, of course it would have to be the Swiss Dagger. Böker still has one in production.

Btw, if you compare to the Fairbairn-Sykes to the Swiss Dagger you will see, that they have made all the same design choices:
Crossguard, so you don't slip on the blade when stabbing
Handle is widest in the center
Pommel to prevent it flying out of your hand (this you won't find in later installment of the Applegate-Fairbairn fighting knife).
Those knives are interesting as they kicked off the modern era fighting knives... but I also think they were off the last knives that were actually built as fighting knives. For military, utility came more important and for the mall-ninja style (and a ninja name attached to it) is probably the driving factor.
Swiss_Dagger.jpg
* Swiss_Dagger.jpg (Filesize: 325.87 KB)
boker.jpg
* boker.jpg (Filesize: 11.6 KB)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:01:15 AM by Etherealicer »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%